Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Snatch of the Day is on now, starring Nottingham Forest

It’s only proof/evidence he said the words, it doesn’t prove he meant what he said. Few employees publicly slate their employers and expect to remain unscathed by it. Generally when teams are not doing well and managers blame the owners, there is only one outcome.

Carvalho wit the first piece of failed artistry, he could just score, but no he was like I'm using the outside of my third leg while blindfolded

VVD with the second piece of failed artistry, he could just score, but no he was like, I'm 3 yards out, I'll head it to Firmino, that will look nice.

Trent with a free header, tries to be clever with a near post finish, when the rest of the goal was free

VVD again, free in front of goal , looks to go across the goal, rather than score

VVD again at the deaths, heads down into the ground, rather than heading straight into the goal with an unstoppable power

Plus Forest had 6 players offside when the freekick was taken for their goal, 6 ! And no check, and MOTD has no time to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Klopp's words are proof of nothing. All it proves is that he said it, possibly reciting what he has heen briefed to say by the club media people.

Tchouameni joined Madrid before Nunez joined us. It is therefore impossible to prove that the money was there for both Tchouameni and Nunez. What I think happened is that we decided to go after Nunez as he fit the profile once Tchouameni chose Madrid. I think we then overspent on him (FSG not to blame) and it left little money to acquire a midfielder who we might have been after. It is highly unlikely the transfer committee and manager did not have alternatives to Tchouameni, I mean it is borderline negligent. It is far more likely we blew the budget on Nunez. You seem to suggest rather than not having the money for both, we did, and that media reports that we were waiting for Bellingham was proof of that. The transfer window does not prove Klopp thought Ox and Keita were enough either. Was there any real interest in Ox? Keita seemed to have chosen to run down his contract. Not much Klopp can do there.

Your last paragraph nobody here has the answer to, that question being how much does FSG make available each window. But if you hold FSG completely blameless then you imply that enough money is made available by them and the entire blame should fall on the manager and transfer committee, that they have not spent it well or not spent it all.

But if you want to form that opinion you should bear in mind some things: it is widely reported we spend only within our means and that we have financial constraints. In the net spend table we aren't even in the top 6, think we were around mid table last time I checked since Klopp arrived. When we had the cb injury crisis 2 seasons ago we initially got nobody in. The line from the club at the very start of the January window was that the club was definitely not doing any business. Even FSG's most ardent supporters on here stated it was due to money, how could we have any. As things got worse we brought in a championship defender for pennies and a loan. There were better options that we didn't look to bring in because they would have cost money. Looks like scrimping to me rather than a manager being happy with what he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Like I said, you can believe he's been lying, fair enough, but there is nothing to suggest that is the case, not even a rumour of a slight rift between Klopp and FSG.

There is zero evidence to suggest FSG prevented us getting a midfielder. Anybody laying blame at FSG are frankly clutching, they set the budget and leave it to the experts, including Klopp. Those experts decided not to get a midfielder for whatever reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He’s 21 and has never been a regular in his life. Of course being a regular somewhere might help him develop. I don’t think he’ll end up being good enough to make it for us cause the bar is astronomically high, but I’d like him to have a shot at regular game time once in his career before we cast him adrift.

Like I said, if you want to believe Klopp is lying fine. I don't believe he was.

The fact we didn't sign a midfielder is entirely on the transfer committee. If the budget was 85m, and we spent it all on one player, that's the committee's fault, not FSG. You can argue that budget is not enough, but let's not since we don't know the actual budget 😅 But ultimately, the committee had a budget and they opted not to spend any on a midfielder for whatever reason (they really want Bellingham, they didn't have enough money with Salah's contract and Nunez etc). So FSG, in my opinion, cannot be blamed for not signing a midfielder this summer.

If Klopp didn't think Ox and Keita were up for it, then why go a whole season relying on them? If you are not gonna take his words at face value (where he said he was happy with his options), then what about his actions where he opted not to sign a midfielder?

As for your last paragraph. We all know there are constraints, Klopp knew that when he took the job and that will always be the case under FSG. If it's such an issue, maybe don't spend 85m of it on one player when you have another key area to fill?

As for the lack of transfer 2 seasons ago, let's add some context to that. We were in the middle of a pandemic and revenues had taken a huge hit. Living within our means meant so did our transfer budget. In addition, I also feel the club, and Klopp, were taking a long term view. They had no desire to replace Gomez, Matip or VVD, so rather than signing a player they wouldn't need in 6 months, they waited to get a player they did want. Just like with VVD. But they panicked in the end, just like they did with Melo this window. Whether you agree with that policy or not is another thing, but I think there is more to it than just FSG penny pinching.

Fundamentally, FSG set the budget, Klopp and the team decide what to do with it. They opted not to get a midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I didn't see the match today as I was working, but, I wasn't that surprised with the result when I saw it, I have a bad feeling about this match since the mid week game against West Ham and Forrest have also just started to turn a corner recently they had been unlucky earlier this season losing matches mainly due to the players being unfamiliar with one another, I think they will continue to improve and eventually stay up.

Back to Liverpool I think Klopp needs to take some of the blame for the team selection today, that midfield was championship level at best, surely even with the injuries there was better options available like starting Henderson. Injuries aside Thaigo also seems to miss an awful lot of games through illness, he's had Covid at least twice and I seem to remember him missing at least 1 or 2 matches last year through illness, plus again today, that seems a lot for a professional athlete at the peak of fitness.

How we didn't reinforce midfield in the summer is beyond me, one of the main reasons we are in the mess we are in is because we have 4 or 5 players who are constantly unavailable, especially in midfield, so when another 2 or 3 get injured, as will happen anyway, we have a full blown injury crisis. Also means other players don't get a rest which inevitably leads to more injuries. We seem to consistantly have more players unavailable than all other clubs, that needs to be looked at, especially when we can't compete financially with most of our main rivals, above any of the top clubs we can't afford to be carrying so many passengers.

I know people are looking to two years ago when we managed to scrape into the top 4 thanks mainly to Allison's goal, but, what a lot are forgetting is that we were top of the league at the turn of the year which meant even after a disastrous January & February we were still in contention for top 4. I still think we can get top 4, but, we need to limit our losses until the world cup and hope our form picks up and injuries clear up when the league resumes at the end of the year. If there was no break in the season I'd be more concerned, but, I'm hopeful like most here, that the world cup will give us time to regroup and start afresh once the league resumes

Yes I think it has been established and accepted that FSG set the budget. It absolves them of the responsibility in how it is spent again that was accepted in my previous post. The question in relation to them and their part in the state of the squad is whether they have made enough available, not just in the window gone by, but since Klopp took over.

You gloss over the lack of spending 2 seasons ago firstly by absolving FSG by making out they had no choice because of Covid while at the same time implying the money could have been there but Klopp is unlikely to have spent it. They weren't replacing VVd, Matip or Gomez you say. I know, it's that they didn't replace Lovren. It wasn't just the City's and Chelsea's spending money during Covid either, Liverpool were outspent by quite a few clubs during that period which kind of weakens the whole can't spend due to Covid argument. I mean we were the then PL champions and had been hugely successful in Europe which was proving to be a great source of revenue, our outlook for the future was far better than many of the other clubs yet they still found money to spend, more than us. As you have said frequently FSG set the budget so by default they should take some responsibility for lack of squad investment during that period.

Anyway this debate is going around in circles. I haven't read anything you posted that changes my mind and I have posted nothing to change yours. Lets just agree to disagree and move on.

It's pointless talking about if they made enough available, as that is dependent on how the club performs, and we don't know how much is available 🤷‍♂️ Klopp is getting off easy in my opinion.

Yup, no need to discuss further 👍

• Advertisement

The point most people are making is that we didn't strengthen when we were on top, that's what the best run clubs do, it's also easier to attract the top players when at the top, delaying investment in the squad when required is a false economy as there's a very good chance we now miss out on CL football next season, makes it harder to attract the top players and keep our own top players, plus less revenue makes it more difficult to qualify for the CL in subsequent seasons, it's a vicious circle, plus our rivals who have CL continue to get stronger, Arsenal are a good example, they were consistently making CL under Wenger, missed one season and haven't qualified since although they look like they might this season; but they have spent heavily in the last few seasons to try to make top 4. If we miss out this season we will be in a very similar position to Arsenal post Wenger.

It's difficult to know who is at fault, FSG set the budget so that determines a lot of the transfer strategy, from the outside looking in, our nett spend is more like a mid table team than an elite club, so it may well be the case that the budget available is too small for a club like Liverpool expecting to challenge for the title and in Europe. Klopp and the transfer committee also have to take some of the responsibility, they should be looking to move on players that aren't contributing much and some transfers in don't make sense, not strengthening midfield and then getting a player on loan ( Arthur)who wasn't fit to start straight away and had a very poor injury record just doesn't make sense, why bring in an injury prone player especially in an area we already have injury prone players? It's like driving around knowing your spare tyre is flat, then getting a slow puncture, but instead of repairing it, you continue to pump it when it goes soft and then also get the loan of another flat tyre, it defies logic.

Whoever is in charge of the transfer strategy needs to rethink their approach as it's clearly not working. Who's to blame, it's probably a combination of FSG, the transfer committee and Klopp, but, to what level each are to blame is difficult to determine. Fans probably let Klopp off the hook because he is the main reason for our recent success, the team has outperformed expectations under him, the others are just faceless entities we don't really know, so easier to attribute the blame to them.

Post edited by Girly Gal on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Our creativity (or lack of it) from open play was really exposed yesterday. It's OK threatening from set pieces (with poor finishing especially from Virgil yesterday) but from open okay we were pants.

Thiago was brought in especially for these type of games, facing a low block defence. He alone it seems has the quality to So something at speed and accuracy to pick the lock. Unfortunately, without him we have nobody of this quality, and the others (Henderson/Fab/Jones/Ox/Naby) neither have the reliability or athleticism to compensate.

It's where we are now, how do we get out of it in the short term is the question. We need to stay in touch with 4th until the world cup and qualify for the CL knock outs and see where are at Xmas when things resume. 4th is the target in the league, and see in spring can we pull a rabbit out of the Champions League hat as we often do. One would hope one of Ox/Jones/Carvalho will hit a hot streak before the break, but it'll be a bonus if they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,845 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I actually think yesterdays problem wasn't creativity in the sense of being clever on the ball, but simple down tot he fact of having no pace in the our team attacking wise bar Mo

Jota, Diaz,& Nunez all would have caused havoc with there pace

This is kinda what I'm trying to say, people are letting Klopp off the hook and unfairly print the blame on FSG.

I agree, we should have invested sooner, but I dunno if that's cause the money wasn't there it Klopp was too loyal. I wanted a midfielder when Gini left, I thought it was a big mistake by the club. I think waiting for Bellingham is a mistake, cause I think he'll pick another club.

To be fair to Klopp and the team, I don't think anybody expected the fall off in Fabinho's form. It's been pretty sudden and shocking.

We don't know who is ultimately to blame, you are saying FSG are unfairly blamed, but, they may well be the main reason, they set the budget, which goes along way to dictating the transfer strategy. Also if money is available to Klopp and he doesn't spend it, then he can't really complain about other clubs spending. I find it hard to believe Klopp didn't want a defender in during our defensive crisis a few years back or a midfielder over the last year or so, if he couldn't see what everyone else could see then how did he ever get to where he is, so that suggests funds were not made available. Also mid table teams with less revenue are consistently outspending us, that doesn't add up. I do also think even the funds we had could have been spent better, that not FSGs fault.

Whatever way you look at it I think most people can agree that the transfer strategy since winning the league hasn't been great , obvious weaknesses within the squad haven't been addressed and it's coming home to roost now.

My point has always been people are just blaming it on FSG, which is giving a pass to the transfer committee and Klopp, they are just as equally to blame.

I don't know why you find it hard to believe that. When we failed to sign VVD, did we get somebody else? No, we waited. When we didn't get Tchouameni, did we sign somebody else in midfield? No, we are apparently waiting. The club has shown it is happy to wait for the right player, rather than sign a player that doesn't suit now. It appeared we wanted Konate, perhaps he wasn't available in January so we waited and signed a cheap stop gap until we could get Konate. I don't know what happened then, but it's not hard to believe that Klopp was happy to wait for the right player since we have done it 2 other times.

We could have signed a midfielder this summer but we couldn't get the player we wanted so we didn't. That's on Klopp and the transfer committee, not FSG. And I will repeat, if the budget wasn't big enough, then maybe don't spend 85m of it on one player with one good season behind him 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, just going in circles here 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

My guess is FSG are hands off with the club.

They've put people in place to run the club and those guys along with the transfer committee and first team management team decide who is targeted, what they spend and when they spend it. I doubt FSG are involved in anyway in transfers, salaries, contract extensions etc.

FSG have said from day one the club has to be self funding and they wouldn't be putting their money in to find transfers and they haven't. It's not really a surprise.

How can all Six Forest players be behind the Liverpool line, and yet all are deemed okay, with no check.

Liverpool players are in darker shade of grass, Forest players in the lighter shade.Even the guy who ball goes to has a huge lean behind the Liverpool line.

This is how I believe it operates as well, it would surprise me if they are more involved than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Summitatem

"Ox/Jones/Carvalho will hit a hot streak"

Christ..... If that's what we're pinning our hopes on. I'm hoping Salah is played where he's at his best tbh. That's the only hope we have of hitting top4 form imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

But that is the issue, the budget is small.

Saying "we spent 85 million on a striker" is a very reductive statement, the kind of rubbish that gets trotted out by the media when Klopp criticises City's limitless spending.

We are a club massively reliant on sales in order to buy, don't look at the 67 million spent on Nunez (with potential add ons that may see us pay 85 million), look at the net spend figure.

Then factor in our increasingly tougher transfer strategy, player must be young, have lots of data available, must not be demanding big wages, must only want Liverpool (as we won't do bidding wars), and must be good value compared with how we value them in terms of price. Players who exist within that Venn diagram are like gold dust.

Klopp has mentioned a few times now how he doesn't set the budget, but how he'd like us to take a little more risk in the market.

You don't know the transfer budget, so how can you conclude it's small?

I mean Nunez is probably the biggest risk we have taken since Carroll potentially (maybe VVD due to his high fee perhaps)? So he got his wish 🙂

That's not a correct summation of the discussion I had with you. It was me that said responsibility should be shared and it was you who was trying to diminish any role FSG might have in it, implying it was pretty much entirely the fault of Klopp and the transfer committee fornthe state of the squad.

There is certainly enough info out there that suggests that FSG have not made enough money available for transfers since we became champions to keep the squad ticking over, there is enough to suggest the transfer committee have failed to move on players that are not good enough or injury prone and perhaps have not prioritised getting players in the right areas, and there is info to suggest Klopp has been too loyal to some of the longer servants in the squad.

That's fair, I don't hold FSG responsible with the info I have, but would expect reasonable fans to at least share the blame equally.

That's not what is being discussed though. If we are being outspent by half the league despite setting new revenue records, and there is obvious holes in the squad which money which isn't being made available might fix, then yeah FSG are partly to blame, just like Klopp and the transfer committee take responsibility for managing the squad and transfers within that budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The club accounts are available for everyone to see and they are nothing to write home about. New revenue records are being set but our wage bill has skyrocketed over the last few years so most of that extra revenue is utilised immediately.

Why are FSG partly to blame? They've done exactly what they said day one and haven't budged on that. They are hands off and haven't been involved in the day to day running of the club.

Because if the owners decide to run the club a certain way, and as a result of that the transfer budget does not meet what is required to refresh a title winning squad then by default the owners take responsibilty for that aspect of it. It is not a criticism of how they are running it, many would see it as admirable. But in a sport in which money has become an ever increasingly decisive factor, if you can't somewhat keep up you get left behind.

On the topic of how they run the club, a big test of that and how the fans really feel will be when Klopp leaves. I can't think of a manager that will come in to a club which has unique enough principles of only spending what we earn in a league awash with money and make us competitive at the very top, given we have the net spend of a mid table team. It will get worse when we start failing to make the CL which will greatly impact revenue. How will the fans feel then, do you expect them to stay quiet and console themselves with the idea that 'well atleast we do things the right way'.

FSG's operating model is admirable, but it is primarily suited to ring fenced sports like they have in the U.S. such as NFL and NBA, where there is no relegation and budgets are similar. It is my belief that they know this and why initially they seem to have been one of the chief drivers of a ring fenced European Super League because they know it would be perfect with how they operate Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

So City and Newcastle were our only top 4 rivals to get a win this weekend. Arsenal, Chelsea and Utd only took a point while Spurs were only slightly less bad than us. It could have been a lot worse,but its a shame we didn't make up ground.

Let's hope that the team and management learn from the ponderous muck they inflicted on us yesterday and put things right for midweek!

But we can't keep up anyway, City and now Newcastle will always be able to outspend us, as will Utd most likely, unless we get a state owner ourselves.

You make it sound like Liverpool is such a difficult place to work for compared to everybody else. There would be managers lining up to coach for us, knowing they will get the time and backing to be a success. It'll probably Pep anyway to step up when Klopp leaves.

• Advertisement

Spends etc aside we dropped 3 points to one of the worst teams in the league. Huge opportunity missed to gain on Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs.

Was fully confident we'd turn this around but losing to Nottingham Forest is appalling stuff.

Is Pep really the best option when Klopp goes, he hasn't really done anything as a manager, Klopp had a great body of work first with Mainz and then Dortmund, he was the best available at the time. I'm not sure Pep would be able to step up, in fact I think it would be a big mistake giving it to him. When the time comes we should be looking at someone who has a proven track record as a manager There's a big difference between being the number 2 and being the main man

You could argue that the damage has been limited by results elsewhere, but it could also be argued that it is a huge opportunity missed to make up ground on the teams above Liverpool in the table. Newcastle have now joined the party, they could add some quality in January to push them on.

For the record I don't want us to be owned by a state and I accept that will likely mean not being able to operate in the transfer market the same way as City, Newcastle or PSG. But outside of those clubs we should be able to compare ourselves to the likes of Arsenal, Spurs and yes even Utd, to whom we have narrowed the gap in terms of the clubs ability to generate money. None of them are state funded and they are currently the clubs we have to be drawing equivalences to.

I still believe FSG's model is more suited to ring fenced sports and less suited to the Premier League where their competition is not operating in the same way.

No doubt Liverpool will still draw managers. They may well be given time by the owners but backing? Top managers don't stay at clubs they don't feel they get financial backing to implement their plans. I really think Klopp is the exception because he likes that sort of challenge and seems determined to buck the trend. FSG have thus far not shown they will back a manager beyond giving them money the club generates itself, which has fallen short of what our competition like Spurs and Arsenal are spending. Will the average fan accept that when Klopp leaves and we likely start to fall away?

We have already witnessed cracks starting to appear when everything the transfer committee touches no longer turns to gold. The insane money we got for some academy players has dried up and I really doubt we have it in us to pull another Coutinho. Without that money there would be no Vvd or Allison and likely no CL or league title. We can't be run dependant on generating money like that on a consistent basis.

I don't know, I would have concerns but that is the impression I'm getting from the club.

Klopp has been backed, any suggestion otherwise is unfair in my opinion. As part of building our title winning squad, we had 2 summers where we spend ~£160m each. That's backing the manager. We can't do that every summer, but he has been backed. I'd be surprised if our transfer spending during Klopp's time is significantly lower than Spurs or Arsenal for example.

We also have the 4th highest wage bill, 50m more than 5th place Spurs, and 55m more than Arsenal. That needs to be accounted for when comparing those teams. Utd are a revenue machine, we have closed the gap sure, but they are still ahead of us.

And while all this has been going on, they have upgraded the training facilities and are continuing to upgrade the stadium.

If a manager can't handle that, then tough. Go manage PSG, City or Newcastle where money isn't a issue. But like most clubs, we can't hand a blank cheque to a manager every summer. If you are splashing big cash on a player, you better be sure!

On your last paragraph, isn't that not how Ajax and Dortmund operate? We can't compete with City or Newcastle, so why spend money we don't have in attempt to? That will only end up one way. We can with Arsenal and Spurs and Utd, and for most recent seasons, we have competed with them league wise.

• Advertisement

Next summer will be huge,

Out: Keita, Milner, Philips, Ox, Jones, Firmino

And the worst part they'll raise ZERO funds, and leave gaping holes in an already weak squad. With them all gone we won't be able to string a team and bench together.

Unless Bobby wants to leave, I hope he stays. He seems revitalised this season, even though he was poor yesterday. I think he is a good player to have around for the younger guys, but it would also depend if he was willing to reduce his wage, which of course he may not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The defence should be ok for another season.

The forward line should be ok for another few seasons.

The midfield needs a total rebuild.

Id love Bellingham I think he is world class already and will only get better.

However a £100m on one player is a lot when we will need at least 3 midfielders.

We aren’t City we have to get our big budget transfers right 99% of the time

City can afford to buy a player for £100 and use them as squad players.

On your first paragraph I will say 2 things. According to transfermarkt we have been significantly outspent by both Arsenal and Spurs since Klopp joined. On the overall net spend table we are 9th when calculated over the last 10 years including this year. I will give you the wages comparison when it comes to Spurs. We have had higher wages than Arsenal only in the last 2 seasons. Before that their wage bill was similar or higher.

Your 4th paragraph is irrelevant. I have not made any comparison to the state run clubs so pointless bringing them in to the discussion. Using an extreme and incorrect take on the points I am making in order to make your own point seem more balanced and reasonable...

As for the last paragraph, Dortmund and Ajax? You want to make a comparison to two selling clubs, one who plays in a league they are almost guaranteed to win every season and another that has little hope of winning but is comfortably in the top 3 every year. Ajax and Dortmund would not survive as successful clubs doing what they are doing if they were in the Premier League. They would have to fight alot harder to remain relevant and the knock on effect of that is that they would find it harder to rely on giving game time to lots of young players they hope then can improve and sell on for a healthy profit. Please stop with the City and Newcastle references, again it just looks like a cheap attempt to make the points I am making seem unreasonable when I have said we should be referencing Spurs, Arsenal and Utd. We have fared better in the league because of a combination of Klopp's management and a transfer committee that couldn't miss. As I previously stated there are signs the transfer committee can't keep unearthing gems and getting big bucks for academy players. Our success was triggered by it but it can't be sustained long term in this league.

Keita about the only one that might raise a bit of cash. I have defended him for too long when other Liverpool fans I talk to were calling for him to be sold seasons ago. I really do think there is a player there which is the most frustrating thing but he just can't be relied on to be available to play. He has been given enough chances. The scary thing about our midfield is that if the form of Henderson and Fabinho continues throughout the season they wouldn't look out of place on that list either, but that would be dependant on having adequate depth or backups already in place, which we don't.

• Advertisement

Will Salah want to stay next summer if there is no CL football, and PSG come calling, Mbappe wants Neymar out, and he wants big names in, he wants to flex his promised influence that made him sign a renewed contract... that or he'll get out. Lots of politics going on at PSG. 140 for Salah, 140 from FSG, 280m rebuild

In

Jude

Saka

Martinelli

Newcastle have spent 250m under the new owners ..... To be fair they've gotten value for that imo. From relegation struggle to top4 in a season...2 transfer windows. If it's an investment they're certainly getting some return.

With the amount of deadwood in our midfield we might need to spend similar over the next two windows to get back in the top4.

Keita is out of contract shortly ...get nothing for him.

I think Keita's contract runs out next summer so he'll be off on a free transfer, unless we somehow sell in January which is unlikely, he really should have been sold in the summer, even at a reduced price, we aren't even getting the benefit of him playing this season and surprise, surprise he'll be fit just in time for the World cup break and no doubt injured again when the season resumes. There's a lot of deadwood that needs to be let go next summer, but, we'll get next to nothing for them, they will.need to be replaced so not sure where that money will come from especially if no CL football. Midfield needs a total rebuild, but, doubt we have the funds for a proper rebuild

Mentioning City and Newcastle is not an extreme and inaccurate point, it's a comparison to the top 6 clubs (and Newcastle who will be joining them). So I won't stop.

Anyway, saying arguments are irrelevant and then going on to say how Ajax and Dortmund would perform in the PL suggests to me this conversation has run it's course.

Good night 👍

You deliberately name City and Newcastle repeatedly when countering points I have made when I have clearly stated I don't expect us to be able to spend money like they can, that we are not a state run club like they are, making comparisons to them irrelevant. You either haven't read where I made that point or you have, if you have then you repeatedly referencing them when making counter points to what I posted seems like a deliberate attempt to misrepresent what I am posting to make my position appear unreasonable.

You mentioned Ajax and Dortmund as clubs Liverpool can operate similarly to. I think the point I made about how both clubs would succeed if they were in the Premier League is very relevant. The Premier League is far more competitive than the respective leagues of either of those clubs. They are both almost guaranteed CL football each year and can afford to snap up young talent with the promise of first team and Cl football each year to hopefully sell to a bigger club for a tidy profit. It is doubtful they would have the same luxury in the Premier League.

But yeah I'm done with this.

Newcastle after spending 250m over the last two windows shouldn't be troubling us as yet to be fair. Who knows how much they intend to spend but their on pitch endeavour puts our lads to shame currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They got top 4 after 12 games? Wow that is some achievement

• Advertisement
Advertisement