Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the government right to put no limit on the amount of Ukrainian refugees in Ireland? Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Personally I can't over the idea that hotel rooms/ beds are the solution for everything. I'm an ordinary Irish citizen and struggle to think when I last stayed in a hotel, could be a dozen years ago at least. The odd B&B here & there and rental houses in summer but hotels??

We should have tented communities by now and war refugees and other international asylum seekers can take it as they find it. Basics - shelter, food and heat. That's all that's needed. The state would also save a fortune in paying all these hoteliers and the domestic tourism business wouldn't be so affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

Problem is they have become accustomed to the ways they have been treated thus far. If you read The Journal article posted today, Michael is treading on egg shells, in how he references their reluctance to move from the Hotels to any other accommodation. That is without Tents even being brought in to the equation. Personally I would not favour tents as accommodation but certainly not hotel rooms long term. I do not see any problem with pledged accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

..and rural Ireland is also highly dependent on social welfare

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

‘public representatives’

The job of a TD is to be representing the needs of the people of Ireland… but…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Can someone clarify If I heard correctly on the news. Think it's drivetime radio studio. Presenter said the 33 people were males ? And that some returned to the airport when it was realised there was no room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The problem is not the numbers of Ukrainians.

Its all the other non Ukrainians coming for a slice of the pie.

I have no issue with Genuine Ukrainians presenting at an Irish embassy vetted and then let in no issue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Absolutely.

As i said it’s the likes of Georgians arriving from a listed safe country claiming they need protection clogging the system.

2500 this year already.

We are absolute mugs.

Not having a go just being clear like most people would be. Yet we ended up with this farce that was predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Look at the murder rate in the Ukraine… 6.2 people per 100,000 are murdered.

to put some perspective on that

UK… 1.2

Turkey 2.5

Sierra Leone 1.7

Northern Ireland 1.2

Republic Of Ireland 0.7…….but Ukraine…. 6.2

It’s a country where statistics on violent crime and murder are high so… still… no limits ? FFS

we all know there will likely be an amnesty and citizenship offered to all here at some point in a year or two.

• Advertisement

To be fair though most Eastern European cultures are violent by our standards and have a macho kind of culture. They have been doing their best since the new pres got in. I don't think the heavy drinking and short fuse tempers help. OFC not trying to generalise all of eastern Europe just giving some context. Ideally anyone with a criminal record should not be getting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

Yip! Uafasach had a post up about accommodation in Ballybofey being used to house 'Ukrainians'. I drove through Ballybofey about 4 times in the last 2 weeks during the day. The Intreo centre is on the main street. Large groups of full families queueing outside of different ethnicities let's say. 100% doubt they were Ukrainians! Would sicken your backside.

This government need to sincerely get a handle on this situation ASAP as Ireland is just becoming a Welfare State with too many long term dependents who want to come here and get everything handed to them for free. Ar mhuin na muice at the expense of we hard working tax payers who are not getting value for money with services in return.

Don't even get me started on the sudden delisting of Nursing Homes! Blood and boil and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Many good people working in those industries. I find that a horrible classiest, superior post.

Not everyone works in IT

Post edited by Luxembourgo on

I find it shocking that people who destroy passports are accepted into the system and will likely take up accommodation for years as appeal after appeal fails before getting leave to remain. This is years of the typical Irish push the can down the road approach to immigration coming home to roost. This is leading to less places for Ukranians.

You did, was interesting almost every picture was of women and children. And how war seems to have seen equality no longer be seen as important. Surely a woman could fight as well as a man. Even since the start 30 percent of Ukrainian have been male, not that you would know from the reporting. I am not by any way against Ukrainian males (do not in any shape or form want an expanded EU without serious reform)and would be against conscription,but the reporting slant from the media globally is interesting (especially after the interesting slant they had on covid).

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

I read an article about Ukrainian men having to sleep at Dublin airport due to no available accommodation:

https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/1022/1330831-ukrainian-refugees-ireland/

I thought Ukrainian men were not allow leave Ukraine and had to join the army? Many Ukrainian men already in Ireland were willingly going back to fight:

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/0227/1283366-ukraine-ireland-fight/

If a Ukrainian refugee refuses two offers of accommodation, then they’re on their own. Those are the rules. So I don’t get this thing about them being reluctant to leave hotels. Someone is not doing their job. Also, don’t they get full board wherever they are? Will all refugees have to pay towards their keep?

Do you really think the Irish government would evict a Ukranian from a hotel if they refused two offers of accommodation??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I seriously have question marks over strong, healthy male Ukrainians coming here looking for a handout.....

They Should be at home fighting for their country, not over here whinging about a lack of comfort...

I have No problem with women and children from Ukraine looking for refuge here....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

It’s not up to a government minister to do personally. It’s not an eviction as they don’t have tenants rights. The staff who’s job it is to find accommodation are the ones to ensure refugees are made aware of the rules and adhere to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

Have any stats for that?

Rural Ireland is a catch all term (I used it in this sense) it basically means anywhere outside a city so big towns like Dundalk,sligo, Ennis ,Tralee etc are often thrown in with it.I don't have any stats myself but I don't imagine there's a significant difference between the numbers per capita on social welfare in rural Ireland v the cities.

Open to correction on that but still not sure what your point is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Do you think any staff will actually do that? It would be straight to the media, and the staff member would be quietly moved.

It's a shame as our light touch approaches to matters will this has massively impacted our ability to handle genuine cases (this is not unique to immigration). We seem to do all we can to avoid hard decisions and instead just throw money at the problem

Refugees know when they are placed in a hotel that it’s only temporary until more permanent accommodation becomes available. They agree to this. When more suitable accommodation becomes available, the Council/Red Cross staff match refugees to that accommodation. Why would the Council/Red Cross staff be moved for doing their job?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Summer 2020 and 21 were the busiest we ever had,ask any hotel or guesthouse and they'll tell you the same

I don't have to ask, Bord Failte did though.

For 2020.

6% of open hotels have had more customers than normal this summer, 11% have had the same level, and 83% have had fewer

🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 19,437 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Rural Ireland? There are sprawling housing estates and towns in Dublin full of citizens who, for generations, have kept their traditional skills of "signing on" alive by passing the knowledge from parent to child.

It's some deal especially for singles and couples isn't it! You can even get put up in some of the nicest towns in the country if you are lucky.

For families it's tougher but still absolute luxury and on the pigs back with money in your pocket compared to 99% of the world's refugees out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

I know the Government are looking into putting a stop to the meals being provided. RTE had an article on it the other day. I well believe they are digging their heels in and not wanting to move.

I don't have the numbers for it but just from my own observations over the years, many of these villages and towns would not have strong employment opportunities and many of the middle aged and older left there are likely to be dependent on social welfare of one form or the other. You will see them out and about doing some community work or part-time job activation stuff. In general in Ireland a large section of the population are drawing social benefits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Any reports on male Ukrainians whinging about a lack of comfort?

Not everyone has ability to grab the gun and go ..

This kind of posts are absolutely unhelpful only stirring shīte IMO.

Advertisement