Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring Advice please

Options
  • 22-10-2022 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

old hob (15yrs) blew this week and purchased a new one today, thought it would be fairly straightforward until i looked at the wiring,

I have attached a picture showing how the mains, cooker and hob all come together in the connector. hopefully this makes sense

What threw me is that the brown from the hob is wired to the blue from the cooker!!!

the brown and blue from the hob are connected together as are the black and grey - looks like they came that way from manufacturer as they were crimped together.

gut instinct tells me to wire the blue from the new hob into the same point as the blue from the cooker and same with brown from hob with brown from cooker, (earth to earth)

this would give me:

brown from cooker + brown from hob + Red from Mains in connection on left

blue from cooker + blue from hob + Black from Mains in same connection on Right

all earths in center connection

would love to get this sorted this weekend , appreciate any info,

thanks

T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Wah! That's another odd one this morning! :)

It looks to me that the previous installer used a sub-standard piece of three-phase wire (brown, black, grey and green/yellow) and doubled-up the connectors so that the wire was not overloaded on neutral and live.

Strip it out and start again with a fresh piece which is sufficiently rated for the appliance, routing red (live) and the browns together; then black (neutral) and the blues together. It probably needs to be 2.5 square to the hob.

That connector block needs to be sufficiently tight and really must be enclosed in a box. I'd also make sure that the existing copper isn't weak, strip-back a few cm's if it is. You should go back and re-tighten the joints after 2 weeks. Last thing you want is it heating up and burning with all of that load.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭tommytee

The "brown, black, grey and green/yellow" they all come from the old De Dietrich ceramic hob and were shipped that way, they are now out of the equation as the new hob is BLUE, Brown, Earth. coming from it (again manufactured and shipped this way)

yes connector was well taped up and enclosed in a box which was taped closed, i haven't shown this, but will reassemble as previous -

cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭10-10-20

ok, then I'm wrong on the theory about the cable. Some hobs come ready for 3-phase and you wire for 1-phase up as per the instructions, so that would make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭tommytee

all sorted, taped up and in connection box - will check for heat,

thanks for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

It'd a good idea there to do a continuity test from screw on cooker switch to cooker chassis

Test with switch off

Ensures the earth is wired correctly cos it can be mixed up there with a N and hob still function as normal

• Advertisement
Advertisement