Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the government right to put no limit on the amount of Ukrainian refugees in Ireland? Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

That's some claim there...

I would hazard a guess that your personal observation sucks, unless you can actually back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Why are they so concerned about 33 Ukrainians sleeping in the airport with no bed. The news also reporting about the lack of people offering their spare rooms to Ukrainians.

Can we maybe concentrate on homing 10,000 Irish which also includes children?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

1.3 million people are on social welfare of some sort. So my observation was a general one , not specifically for rural areas .

I think you’ve put one zero too many. 2,500,000 people are in employment. 135,000 unemployed. About the same on other benefits. About 500,000 pensioners.

What is unhelpful are healthy Ukranian males, some driving around in fairly expensive cars driven over from Ukraine, who should be supporting and fighting for their country back home. If they want to run away we have a right to criticise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭StevenToast

RTE news : 'In despair': Ukrainian men sleep at Dublin Airport

there you go.....

If some fùcker blew up my town and house...id be staying and fighting the cùnts that did it....

Not hauling off to the other side of the continent looking for a nice cushy hotel room....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You are very likely one of those 1.3 million yourself.

No I didn't get my numbers wrong dear pensioner Mary 😄.

I.3 million are in receipt of social welfare of some form or another, which includes pensioners.

And I believe a huge wedge of renters are supported by HSE and HAP payments .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I wonder are the government planning on using the situation to make the citizens "an offer they can't refuse" maybe something radical around holiday and vacant dwellings

They can go back to Ukraine and fight for a free country and get paid for it.

Or just volunteer.

These young males don't need to be here. They aren't from here and they are running away from their responsibilities to their own people.

• Advertisement

You know what, honestly? If I was in the same situation, I would be gone. Unless I'm really cornered and desperate.

As for maninasia comment about expensive cars driven by Ukrainians..lame.

For StevenToast.. yeah very easy to say from your cushy home on a sunny Sunday. Thanks for the article, but couldn't find the whinging there..

None of the two of you knows or have any idea what you would do in the similar situation, unless you actually experience it imo.

Can you provide sources. Leaving us ould pensioners out of your calculations. Ta.

No you can Google and confirm it 'pensioner' Mary. 1.3 million. Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If some fùcker blew up my town and house...id be staying and fighting the cùnts that did it....

Of course, but what you need to understand is not everyone is as brave as internet heroes, God bless them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

it undermines nothing unless you choose to use it to undermine our support for the refugees.

What? The states reckless approach undermines Irish support, because the peoples will to help will dry up quickly when they are suffering because of it too. A balanced approach where the Irish don't suffer and Ukrainians are looked after keeps everyone happy. There's no balance here though, none at all, and the lack of balance will eventually result in a lack of wider support, because at the end of the day people care about themselves first and foremost, no matter what they say.

Remember only a few weeks ago, when Ukraine flags were on businesses and outside of peoples homes? I see few of those flags anymore, because the novelty of it all is already wearing off.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Remember only a few weeks ago, when Ukraine flags were on businesses and outside of peoples homes? I see few of those flags anymore, because the novelty of it all is already wearing off.

You are right on this one. Novelty of it is gone so let's open the gates for endless complaining. Human nature I guess, the minute something will start to affect the normal life for prolonged period is a nuisance. Understandable. Look at the posts here, all are to support the Ukraine, but ... but.... but... and more buts to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭arctictree

Here is what I would do. Any Ukrainian man arriving, give him 500 quid and a PPS no. After that, he's on his own. God knows that countless Irish emigrating over the years didn't have much more than the shirt on their backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This is all madness when we don't even physically have enough housing units in the country.

This is all just to show other countries how much we care?

Imagine the social issues we are going to have for the next generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Do Ukrainians recieve the double payments?

Child payment , Christmas "bonus " etc

That's a genius idea. All the Ukrainians who have been happily put up over in Poland or Bulgaria or elsewhere can book themselves a return pair of 19.99 Ryanair flights and take a day trip over to Dublin to collect their free 500 quid

I can't see any possible downside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

I thought all makes 18 and over were not allowed to leave Ukraine. When I looked into it a bit more it seems there are a number of instances which allows men to leave. If these men were legally allowed to leave Ukraine then our government should be trying to house them, after all they promised this at the start of the conflict.

The fact that they are from regions that have been at war since 2014 might suggest that they might not be loyal to Ukraine, maybe they made their way here through Russia and were afraid of being conscripted to the Russian army.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭arctictree

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

maninasia threadbanned

No, the consequence of your suggestion would be to bring in any and all - who would otherwise have no intention of coming here - so that they can claim their 500 quid and head back on the next flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

The manager of the capuchin center was on the RTE report saying that they were equipped to help so I'm wondering where you got the information that they are not equipped to help?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭cute geoge

What kind of drugs are you on because they are fairly good ones .

Read the sign NO ROOM AT THE INN .If the government house women and children ,that is more then fair .What business have all these Ukraine men here when they are supposed to be helping out the war effort .Sure Ukraine may as well throw in the towel if they are allowing there men of fighting age to swamp europe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Ukrainian men not being allowed to leave Ukraine is a matter for Ukraine, not a matter for Ireland taking in refugees. If we have made a decision to take in Ukrainians fleeing the war, it should be none of our business whether these people are in possession of penises or not.

I read about this accommodation debacle on RTE today and they did say that it was only men who were left without beds and I couldn't figure if that was supposed to be some sort of positive spin or not. It is the sort of thing that our authorities would put out to deflect some attention from their ineptitude as they know that people will think "ah shur, the one's without beds were only men" or "cowards shouldn't have been fleeing the war anyway"

I'd say the wokies and feminists heads are fried with all sort of anomalies and contractions related to the war. Putin is the devil, Zelenskyy is a saint. We're all equal. Women are oppressed yet are strong and independent. But wait, only men are restricted from leaving Ukraine. Does not compute. I await some Hilary Clinton style rubbish about how women, not men who get killed or maimed, are the primary victims of war.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭JPCN1

McEntee flew that kite and lost FG many more voters in doing so. This govt don’t seem to give a toss about the wants of the electorate though. They are going out of their way to p1ss of voters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

From people I know working there.. coal face as opposed to office space.

Advertisement