Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

There was, if I'm not mistaken, a thread for discussion of alternative possibilities for the metrolink project.

I thought this might have already been moved there.

The blurb linked by Catinabox above does seem a bit garbled, but the overall thrust seems to be right.

When you look at cities of a comparable size and density, but at a more advanced stage of development ( Munich or Copenhagen, say), they seem to have developed networks where 2 km between rail lines into the city is pretty much the norm, from around 5-10 km outside the city.

This 2 km separation seems to work very well, for those cities.

At present, Dublin has approximately a 7.5 km gap between Dun Laoighaire and Dundrum (the DART and the Green Line), and an approximately 7.5 km gap between Dundrum and Tallaght (the Green Line and the Red Line).

An overall plan to fill the latter gap on the southside would seem to be sensible, by building to the southwest, in an effort to get Dublin up to speed with cities of a comparable size.

I'm sure, brianc89, that the residents of that area do understand the benefits of a direct route to Dublin Airport, for them. But on every bus, tram or train in Dublin (or any city) the largest group of people want to go to the centre, and I imagine that they see an overall benefit to Dublin from people in Firhouse, Knocklyon, Rathfarnham, etc. being able to get into the city in twenty (20) minutes or under being a general benefit. It can be currently, as I understand it, as much as ninety (90) minutes on the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Are you suggesting that residents of Charlemont / Ranelagh / Rathmines don't support the current plans, because they care more for the residents of Firhouse, Knocklyon, Rathfarnham and Harold's Cross?????!

Wow that's laughable!!! Ask not what your city can do for you.....

.......maybe stop lying to yourself about your admirable reasons to oppose this major infrastructure project for Dublin.

Well, if the above blurb is to be believed, they certainly don't appear to be crying out for it to be built through their area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

The South West should definitely be the priority for any additional metro lines, it’s completely jammed half the time, but obviously AFTER the current plans are built. They’re just trying to get it halted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

They are called the metro south west group, the name alone should make it obvious anything they say or do is will be propaganda.

the last thing the metro needs is people trying to change the route. It needs building and any kind of change will delay it by years. I’m sure everyone agrees the southwest of Dublin needs something, nobody needs that pointed out.

• Advertisement

In any case, the line to Charlemont doesn't limit, in the slightest, an extension to the SW. An extension could easily head over to Rathmines, Rathgar, Terrenure, Rathfarnham and Firehouse as suggested.

Their argument is utterly utterly worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,377 ✭✭✭prunudo

I hope abp see these objections for what they are. The last we need is drawn out review periods because vested interests are trying to scupper the current plans. The current route allows for upgrades towards the south. By all means build a metro sw but it should be a stand alone route and nothing to do with the current Metrolink plans.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we keep the discussion to the title - Swords to Charlemont. Any off topic posts will be deleted.

Rathmines, Rathgar, Terrenure, Rathfarnham and Firehouse are not on the route.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Get this metro built, have it be insanely successful and the clamour for more lines will bring metro to the SW and other areas. But they need to get this bloody one built first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭AngryLips

That hasn't exactly worked out well for Luas though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

We still have only the 2 Luas lines but they have still been extended into other areas. Connolly to the Docklands, Sandyford to Cherrywood. St Stephen's Green to Broombridge were all added after the Luas opened. So, it has worked to a degree. However, I do think more lines would be better instead of extensions to existing ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I actually think the extensions have been a mistake personally. The distances covered would be better served by metro. Saggart shouldn't take over an hour from the city centre when Swords can be served in 25 minutes once this thing is built.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The reason there haven't been more than 2 Luas lines is because the 2 we built used up closed railways and land reservations and we don't have any more of those to build Luases on now.

Agreed about the long distances but is there as much travel demand from Saggart-City as from Swords-City?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It does not take over an hour to get to Saggart from the city centre on the LUAS.

The scheduled journey time from Abbey Street is 45 minutes.

There are pros and cons to each system. Luas costs as little as 10-20% versus Metro for comparable distances, however Luas is low capacity and slow versus Metro.

The biggest advantage Luas offers versus the bus is efficiency and reliability, but we shouldn't act like Luas is a replacement for Metro.

In light of Metrolink, Phoenix Park Tunnel, Dart+ and Bus Connects, Dublin needs a new master plan. We'll finally have a baseline network to build on, which we didn't with previous master plans.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we stick to Metro as in the title of the thread.

You are welcome to open a new thread to discuss Luas, or other topics that are off topic here. You could also contribute to threads that already discuss those topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Does anybody have any indication whether bikes will be allowed? I’d imagine yes if it’s following the Copenhagen metro as a template but it’s Ireland…

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Bikes aren't allowed on Copenhagen metro during rush hour

I was in Dublin about three weeks ago, and I looked at what the metrolink people are calling an 'easy connection to the Red Line' in their video.

I paced it, from a probable exit opposite the Gresham Hotel, and that was 547 steps from ground level, and 5 minutes 43 secinds. Now, I am just 5 foot seven, below the average for a man, so the average person might need fewer steps and a shorter time to make the connection.

Taking the average height for a man at 6 foot, you're still looking at over an hour a week for a regular Dublin commuter to make the Red Line-Metro to/from metro level to/from the LUAS at Abbey Street.

It's very poor, and apart from the official fear of disruption, there is no reason for it to be so poor.

I struggle to see how the metrolink people are touting this as an 'easy connection to the Red LUAS' in the promotionatal videos.

It's categorically not a proper connection, and anybody who has lived in a city with a properly deveveloped transport system knows it.

It's desperately poor. Or, if you will, a shyte connection.

It's very poor indeed. A major criticism of Metrolink given the city only has two Luas lines. Even the connection with Green Line isn't perfect (on OCS).

Would it be fantasy to envisage a passenger tunnel from Tara Street station to Abbey Street? Well lit, regular security, cameras of course.

• Advertisement

Where else could you build the station? I don't disagree, perhaps a site in the centre of O'CONNEL St outside the GPO would be better for connections. Tbh at this stage I'd just want it built as proposed. 5 min walk isn't that bad, far harder connections on metro systems across Europe.

You would build it under O'Connell Street, perhaps, as you say, near the GPO.

Disruption for a year or two, then a quality connection for the lifetime of the LUAS and metro. Ireland's morbid fear of disruption - which is also evident with the Glasnulla plan - means that there will be some disruption on O'Connell Street, and a very poor connection for the lifetime of the LUAS and Metro.

It's not 5 minutes, even for the average person. It's at least 6 for the average person, which is an hour a week, or a full day making that connection in a working year.

I am not familiar with far harder connections in cities of a similar size to Dublin, though I am not a very well-travelled person so there may well be. Could you give us an example.

At the very least, could metrolink please stop taking the p**s by calling this an 'easy connection' in their promotional material?

Passage de gracia in Barcelona is worse

I've been in Spain, but not yet in Barcelona.

Could you talk us through how it is worse than this 'easy connction'?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I regularly had a 600 metre walk through Chatelet Les Halles in Paris back in the day to connect.

Further back in time I used to swap between London tube lines in (I think) Piccadilly and whilst sadly I didn't measure it, it was 'long corridor, two escalators and another long corridor'.

Now they did at least have the advantage of being covered so not prone to the elements, but the metro/red-line actual distance doesn't strike me anything untoward.

Spot the difference (images are at same scale). Nothing untoward there no?!!

Paris:

Dublin:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Genuinely not sure of the point you are making brian89?

I think it might be that because CLH has so many different lines converging on one station, that having to do 500 metre+ connections is to be expected, and that by comparison the green/red/metro connection should be shorter as far fewer lines. Fair point if that's what you are saying.

My point would remain though that the actual distance really isn't unusual (there were claims it was). It's clearly not ideal, but lets not allow 'perfect be the enemy of good' here.

Metrolines are connected by about a 10 minute walk, at a fast pace by underground walkway and escalators, its a pain. I take your point that a new system should try to eliminate these long connections but the scheme has already submitted an RO so no point going over it. And it is definitely not the worst connection, as discussed, Barcelona and Paris have worse ones. In Madrid the airport is poorly connected to the city centre requiring many changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭specialbyte

The location of the stop on O'Connell Street is dictated by the station location at Tara Street where it connects with the DART. There is a tight enough track curve to make it from Tara to O'Connell Street. A metro train can only turn so quickly.

If you look back at the emerging preferred route where the metro station was in the middle of O'Connell Street the southern end of the station was at the Gresham Hotel with the entrance outside the Holiday Inn hotel north of Cathal Brugha Street. That had a ~505m connection for the above ground section from the metro stop to the Luas Red Line at Abbey Street.

With the Preferred Route the O'Connell Street station was moved under the Carlton site, mostly to reduce disruption to the Luas and buses on OCS for 2-3 years to build the station. Moving the station west of OCS actually makes the curve easier from Tara allowing TII to move the location further south closer to the Red Line. However, the entrance to the station is at the north end (for some reason – it may be a very good reason that we don't know about). The walking connection above ground from the proposed station to the Luas Red Line at Abbey Street is ~475m.

Here's a rough image of the EPR with the proposed final station location overlaid:

The final option is better but could be improved with a relocated entrance on the MetroLink station. In theory ~400m is possible. You could shave maybe a minute of walking time off doing that. If you want to see a better connection between the Red Line and MetroLink then stick in a submission to An Bord Pleanála asking them to change the design to include a new entrance closer to the Luas Red Line in the OCS MetroLink station. You have until 25th November to do so.

• Advertisement

Ah I'm just been tongue in cheek. That station in Paris looks like metro heaven!! 600m walk is okay considering you can go anywhere in the city.

However a 5-600m walk in this case is not 'ideal' given it's outside and it's gets you to a super slow Luas line rather than another Metro.

The location of the "OCS" station is basically Parnell. Very surprised to see no entrance further south on OCS. In any case, now,build, later fix!

Advertisement