Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Towards the end of the game he was under pressure understandably, but when Knox went off?

He got demolished on a couple of really big scrums; especially the most significant one of the game, 5m out from the Leinster line.

I'm not slating the guy, he was being played out of position, but there was nothing in that tonight to suggest he's a realistic option in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

You said he "did fine" on the tight head side.

I pointed out that by surely any objective or neutral analysis, he absolutely didn't. He got demolished in some pivotal scrums that were the final nails in Munster's coffin tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Another impressive performance indicating a continued gradient of improvement. Rowntree also gave a very impressive rallying interview after the game. He's the man to take Munster back to the top imo. And with Lancaster and probably Sexton leaving Leinster next season....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

That's very true, I thought the whole point about the URC was that there would be less games and therefore greater availability of international players. That emerging Ireland tour should have happened either over the summer or during the autumn internationals/6 nations window

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

So

Carbery is probably injured next week for Ulster, Kleyn might also be injured and Jack O Sullivan is almost certainly another long term injury, Nash, Murray, Coombes, POM, Loughman, Casey and Beirne will all probably be at Irish camp

We need lots of guys to come back from injury this week or we might be into Wasps territory, pulling guys in from the sub academy to field a team next week

yay

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

The extent of our injures yesterday. Mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Are the Ireland A guys unavailable too? If that’s the case I doubt Munster could field a team. Assuming Ireland release some front three players from the A squad so the game vs Ulster isn’t cancelled the team could be something like:

1. Dave Kilcoyne
    2. Diarmuid Barron
    3. Kenyan Knox
    4. Evan O’Connell
    5. Eoin O’Connor
    6. Jack O’Donoghue
    7. John Hodnett
    8. Ruadhan Quinn
    9. Paddy Patterson
    10. Ben Healy
    11. Ihechi Oji
    12. Rory Scannell
    13. Dan Goggin
    14. Conor Philips
    15. Pa Campbell
    16. James French
    17. Scott Buckley
    18. Liam O’Connor
    19. Cian Hurley
    20. Sean Odogbo
    21. Ethan Caughlan
    22. Tony Butler
    23. Fionn Gibbons

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The A guys will join camp after next weekends matches are over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭phog

I was happy enough with our performance, the most disappointing part of the game for me was letting McGrath score his try, we had cover there but just let him get through. Considering other attempts by Leinster to score and our defence holding solid that was disappointing.

Our set pieces worked well until all the enforced changes and then the scrum started to creek.

I've no great issue with the two YCs, though I did see some non Munster fans question Kleyn's card but I do think James Ryan was lucky not to have picked one up too for his half arsed attempt to throw two punches and on another day Sexton could have got one too but them's the breaks.

I was kind of worried about Scannell and Goggin as out centre pairing last night but they did much better than I had expected them to do against Henshaw and Ringrose.

As the game progressed I thought we'd squeeze a LBP out of it but unfortunately our bench wasn't up the what Leinster could bring on and we got injuries to players where we didn't really have the cover.

Unless we get some injured players back then next Saturday could have a very odd look to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Ref errors- red tinted glasses on

penalty against Murray for tackling McGrath close to the Munster try line - the latter had the ball in hand so Murray was entitled to tackle him. A few minutes later Leinster scored a try

Kleyn YC - harsh in that he was in the air when the Leinster player ran into him. I don’t know what Kleyn was supposed to do. The forearm to the head didn’t help

Ryan had a closed fist punch ignored and I thought he was lucky to avoid a YC . Apart from the punch it was retaliation

Ahern had a penalty against him for an attempted jackal which could easily have resulted in a penalty the other way for holding on

Porter clearly competed for the ball on the ground and jumped up out a ruck ball in hand- multiple reasons to award a penalty against Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

I was working the game so havent seen game properly yet only scanned through some of it earlier today before work. but for penalty against Murray. Was it a ruck and McGrath had hands on ball but had not lifted the ball/taken it from ruck? Hands on ball from scrum half doesnt mean anyone from opposition can play the scrum half. the scrum half has to take ball into their possession. just putting hands on ball isnt that.

Kleyn had to be yellow. was he realistic chance of blocking the ball. no Imo. he then takes leinster player out.

On Ahern.. you could say similar about multiple rucks in any game for any team. far from a ref error. just what they saw

Leo wasn't happy with the calls that went against Leinster, he wasn't specific in what he thought went against them but he has a list too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,499 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Murray was offside. Mcgrath hadn't lifted the ball.

The Crowley clear out on Ross Byrne should have been leinster penalty for 2 reasons

1. Byrne had the ball long enough for a pen

2. Crowley went arm around Byrne's neck

Ryan didn't punch Knox.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jcon1913

McGrath had lifted the ball.

agreed - every ruck is a potential penalty for either team

anyway I’m looking at it with red-tinted glasses

Murray had advanced offside before the ball was lifted though

That's a punch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Who did Ryan punch?

I agree with you on Crowley penalty - good to see his aggression but he should have been penalised for it.

• Advertisement

The still doesn't tell the story though. It was not a punch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Knox, immediately after being high cleared out in the ruck.

Supposedly anyway. Personally I call it a closed fisted shove because it looked weak.

I would understand if he was called up on it. Anything that looks like a punch doesn't really belong.

I'm fairly sure the referee saw it and dismissed it because he asked the TMO what led to the afters rather than looking for a judgement on the afters.

I generally ignore your posts here as they are usually some sort of a wind up.

You're way off the mark if you think when a player clinches his fist and hits an opposition player, twice, is not classed a punch.

I'd be fairly sure if a Munster player did this you'd be the first on here moaning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

There was no lift from Byrne. He just sort of kept his hands there. The Munster player didn't have to hold on to it. No penalty for that.

I just showed you the contact to the cheek.

Do you ever have anything positive to say about Munster, Burkie?

Incidentally, “barely any” contact. Which law is that in again?

No contact??????

It amazes me the hoops some posters jump through to be right

Steer clear of the match thread, phog. Dumpster fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

The intent was there but thankfully for Knox, Ryan fluffed it. Closed fist is a big no no.

Advertisement