Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the government right to put no limit on the amount of Ukrainian refugees in Ireland? Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,330 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ukranian ambassador to Ireland lambasting Ireland for... "not doing enough"

Typical... ungrateful and shìt stirring

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Tell him we’re full up, there’s gratitude for you

Right, we are, although iwas thinking of something else beginning with F

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

" Speaking on RTÉ's This Week programme, Minister for Foreign Affairs Simon Coveney agreed that the situation was unacceptable. "

so we’ve spent and borrowed billions of euros , thrown tens of if not hundreds of thousands of our own citizens and taxpayers to the back of the Q for housing and healthcare and social welfare…

‘ we are not doing enough ‘

then Covney, paid by the Irish taxpayers to work for the Irish taxpayers.. ‘ the situation is unacceptable ‘ … says the man, now a millionaire from property and other business dealings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Not really.

And the government agrees with her:

Speaking on RTÉ's This Week programme, Minister for Foreign Affairs Simon Coveney agreed that the situation was unacceptable.

Sh1t stirring, well, have a word with yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Maybe the young Ukrainian men don't want to fight another man's war..?

Yeah, it's their homeland - I get that..

But realistically, both leaders are well protected, and away from the front lines(s).

You think Zelensky or Putin are in the trenches? I would suggest they are tucked up in their respective bunkers?

The harsh truth to all of this, is when they stop bombing the living shi*e out of each other, they or their next in command with come up with a peace deal, probably some multi face saving crap that will ensure neither side admits defeat blah, blah, blah....

By that time, there will be more that 100,000 dead men from both sides.

Yeah, there'll be a few nice words spoken at staged events... Maybe even a few good photo opportunities too be had.. But that's it!

Russia and the Ukraine will carry on...

The 100,000+ dead will be mere statistics for the history books...

So, maybe these young men are not running away from their responsibilities as you imply??

Maybe they choose not to be pawns in a Putin vs Joe Biden dick swinging contest??

Life is precious, you get one crack at it.... Choose life every time!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

If the Ukrainian men concerned are on lists in their homeland and required for defence and other related work, then we have no business taking them in, if they have left without permission. We should be facilitating the Ukrainian embassy to review all their cases individually and let them repatriate those that are required back to Ukraine. That's not unreasonable.

The government can agree all they like… but they are wrong and clearly don’t have the capability, capacity or stones to stand up for the people and citizens who pay their wages and whom they are supposed to be working for. :) Millionaire Mr Covney has already been found out. Won’t make a difference to his end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"Maybe they choose not to be pawns in a Putin vs Joe Biden dick swinging contest??"

Maybe but we should not be sheltering them in that case. The general idea is that war refugees are temporary and most will want to return to their homeland in time. How will these lads ever be able to go back and show their faces? And we haven't agreed to support them ad infinitum. This is a temporary measure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The ambassador may end up getting expelled if she's not careful.

We're generous, stupid even, but we're not complete eijets that they think we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

I'm no fan of our Government but given that they have asked the Ambassador and the Embassy to inform fleeing refugees of the current accommodation situation, she has some nerve to point out a situation she was informed of being likely to happen actually materialising.

Neck and jockeys something springs to mind as regards this Ambassador one.

Surely this almost sounds like any other politician's post..

In my humble opinion, we should start discussing what options are to sort this out. I'm kind of sick of reading shīt like we've done enough etc. Or there was poster here labeling Eastern European countries as a violent, or something in that context, can't remember exactly, apologies.

My home country at the heart of Europe, took in well over 400k refugees, population of 10 million. Slovakia took in close to 100k refugees, population same as Ireland. Look how many refugees took in Poland.

So great thing would be to stop fooking whinging here and come with some ideas how to accommodate those people here. That would be worth of debate I think. Because don't tell me, it can't be done. There are options of cheap buildings, log cabins etc. , all could be done quickly I believe. And not only for Ukrainian refugees..

Bad for PR I’d say she’d have to really go to town on us before they’d contemplate that.

but whatever Coveney said publicly, which was ridiculous let’s face it, if he has the slightest element of cop on or the stones ( both is debatable ) either he or one of his team would be calling her up with quite a firm message of … ‘listen the state and the people of Ireland have facilitated over 50,000 of your citizens with housing, healthcare, weekly cash, public transport and various miscellaneous assistance and ultimately … SAFETY, don’t spit in our faces’…

Enlighten us all so, what package is your home country providing for the refugees in terms of housing and income supports?

I think you've missed the point of my post, apologies if my English wasn't clear enough.

Ireland may not have taking in as many Ukrainians fleeing the war as other EU countries have however our support package to them is probably the best they are receiving of all the EU countries. There has been an accommodation crisis here for some time. I doubted we could even accommodate 40,000. I think expecting us to take in an unlimited number is not realistic. If we had a definite number it would be easier to strive towards reaching that target. BTW your English is very good.

So, what do you suggest we do when, in your opinion, the government is wrong? Drawn and quartered? Firebomb the Dail? Whinge on a Boards thread?

And, what do you say to that percentage of your countrymen who support what the Government is doing?

One can lie all you want in response to a question like that. Just thought I'd bring that up, since calling out lies gets you warnings here.

So, @xhomelezz feel free to invent something, the anti-refugees have the right to lie here, so do you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

we have taken in more than enough of them at this stage...

You know, you seem to have an enormous envy of Coveney. Doesn't make you look good. Why not speak to the issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭enricoh

Between asylum seekers n Ukrainians we'll have 100k here by Christmas. Could we have another 100k next year - why not? We already had a big accommodation problem in January and we now will have 100k more to house. That's excluding EU citizens moving here and apparently we are going to give 40k work visas to non EU workers. Paddies kids will simply head to Oz Canada etc

There was a link earlier about modular housing costing e250k a pop and services for each one at 50k a pop. It's a gravy train with biscuit wheels!

I get it, sometimes it feels like government is throwing cash at people, instead of trying to actually sort out problems. At least that's how I see it here. Maybe it's simplistic view of things, but can't help myself to see it that way, the longer I live here, the more I see it that way. Don't get me wrong ladies and gentlemen, sometimes my posts can sound like I'm only criticizing Ireland or people here, but that's not the case, I can assure you of that. I'm paying taxes here as anyone else, fully employed since day one. Love Irish countryside and most of Irish people I met and keeping in touch with. Consider Ireland as my home with its ups and downs, like every other country has.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Oooh commandeering private property? That'll frighten the horses. Cue the ah but shur maybe they're owned by people in nursing homes.

I did not ask where the poster lives. I asked what package is being supplied to refugees fleeing there in terms of housing and social assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Nope it's not.

Whilst correct that their question on their homeland is none of their business (I'm not sure they even asked that sort of personal details), I think the question is fair.

I know where both ireland and Ukraine is on a map.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I am no human logistics expert, but bringing in people when we have nowhere to put them is a terrible idea.

And that woman should keep her gob shut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

A thank you from the Ukrainian Ambassador would have been nice . Yes right now we are full and its not ideal but a small country has managed to house 45 k of her fellow citizen in a short space of time . I wonder did she open the Embassy doors to feed them or simply leave it to a very over stretched charity

Advertisement