Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TAX

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,662 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

We have been on a good few Teagasc arranged tours and always claimed it against tax

Or the Highland show and welsh show

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭893bet

Like everything in this thread it’s down to what you are comfortable defending in an audit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭kk.man

I paid for my ploughing match thicket from the farm account this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,601 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

You can take a lump sum out tax free at retirement as far as I know. Can't remember the figure exactly but remember thinking it's big when I read it in a booklet one time

Bit surprised that you are tearing into another poster on the amount of kids salary and then you post that. I thought you were a bit wiser but then you post the above and also claiming up to 70% of home heating, I wonder about empty vessels and most noise…

to get away with claiming a jeep AND most of a family car on an average farm you would want to have no kids (ie no school runs, sports, family holidays etc), no other job (ie commute), a farm miles apart, all of which are very hard to hide, otherwise it’s very foolish. Revenue have more power in some cases than the gardai, they can look at a family holiday picture on a wall and say show me how you afforded it, how did you get there etc.

Revenue aren’t fools and are handy with a calculator and working out how many miles you get for €x of diesel and what it takes to rare your declared animals and acerage. In fact one of the ways in which they pick audit cases is they look at each industry and compare against each other all done by automated technology hence why a form 11 now has 10x data than 10 years ago, being out of sync with your peers on losses, certain type of expense (eg motor) etc and computer flags you. They start with a low lift desk audit but if they see you are being dishonest / taking the piss they extend scope to a visit, someone claiming 70% kerosene would have them running for the door.

btw I completely agree with your point about revenue letting farmers away with way more than other industries because they are looking big picture but you are taking the piss and in for a shock if you get an audit and you are claiming 70% heating oil.

and one final thing on the heating oil, if you are claiming that 70% of your house is a farm office then you lose 70% of the cgt principal private relief as 70% of your house is not your home

not sure on your point about individual accountant v firm, plenty of rouge firms out there too. Either way I’d give your “firm” a little more thought

Empty vessels, most noise ....... good analogy,

Thought it many times

My accountant is very particular and won't let me claim for the car but I claim mileage expenses when on days I attend marts, meat factories etc. I would thus have an invoice to prove my expense.

I did not say I was claiming 70%, I gave the band it is in. We are in a partnership both my spouse and myself. The jeep is not a big LC but a RAV. the distance between the house and farm is 12-14 miles depending on which way you go. That gives over 10K miles visiting it just once every day. At this stage I draw my own cattle both to the factory and too and from the mart most of the time. We have a few acres around the house which cattle are on as well.

Kids are all grown up and have there own cars for the last 5 years. I was not tearing into what another poster was paying there children I was pointing out what he would have to justify to revenue just like you are doing now. The oil is only part of our heating costs, there is coal bought and wood that is burnt (all windfall or trimmings of trees). I only show the oil part as a cost. We do not change vehicles often. Everything goes through the books.

Farming is using rules and allowances that are used by business right accross the country. Just because a buisness is less profitabe than other sectors is no reason it cannot used similar writedowns, Farming has the added advantage/disadvantage in that all sales are visible as are all purchases. Its a small margin game. it would not take much for many farmers to decide ''F@@k this for a game of soldiers I off'' similar to what small landlords are doing at present

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Would you not use the car for trips to the co-op etc. They'd be short bits of runs but could add up.

Some accountants take the easy way out. They never want a situation where a client has an audit and they have actually to do a bit of work at that audit.

It not just that. If you driving a small or any jeep, to an extent even a car you burn fuel and you have a lot more wear and tear than normal driving. My fuel use goes from 40 to 26mpg when I use the livestock box.

I also use it or my better half a car when feeding ration during the summer I hitch the trailer in and it's a lot easier than climbing up and down off a tractor especially if you have to open and close a few gaps.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭KAMG

I'm an accountant and part time farmer. Very part time. Its common sense really what percentage of a car is allowed as capital allowances. Each case is different.

Revenue are not going to make a big deal of it during an audit if what is being claimed looks remotely like what is happening in reality.

The one point I would like to make is that I cannot understand why people are arguing with each other here. The first person they should be asking about things like this is their own accountant. I know we deal with this type of stuff every day.

Obviously this is the busy time of year for accountants. So, we are flat out meeting people. None of our clients are shy about asking about stuff like what percentage we can 'get away with' claiming on a new car the wife/husband is after buying.

To really generalise things, a jeep is treated 100% as a farm asset and is fully claimed against tax, regardless of the cost.

A car, bought for whatever reason by a farmer who already has a jeep, and whose spouse also already has a car, will only get 1/4, maybe at a stretch 1/3, of the cost claimed in capital allowances.

A farmer who has their own jeep, whose spouse buys a new car, we would claim 1/2 or 2/3 as a farm expense. If that farmer, then bought a car on top of the jeep, we would probably stop claiming on the wife's car.

My accountant put 2/3's of the car and jeep expenses. He dose not differencate, it stops me loading the diesel and running expenses onto a vehicle I can claim 100% on.

So it ends up much the same

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

If the spouse has a job , would you do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

I am leasing part of my farm this year, however I am wondering about the cattle sales, this year I have about 30 extra cattle to sell at say an average 1500 which is circa 45k, I won't be replacing these cattle, does that mean I will have to pay additional tax?

It won't make any difference if you've the stock valued right in your accounts, I've reduced stock twice without any implications tax wise

What was the stock value at the start of the year. You substract that from your costs and that is your taxable income.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

@KAMG how likely is an audit? Do you see many for your clients every year?

So, lets say, the farmer owns/drives a jeep and a car and the spouse owns/drives own car. Now, i'm talking about capital allowances here only. Not motor expenses. That's a different but similar issue.

We could claim fully on the cost of the jeep over 8 years.

We would claim 2/3's of the farmers car over 8 years.

We would claim 1/4 of the spouse's car max. This would be in situations where the farmer was full time farming.

If both have own job, it would be very difficult to claim capital allowances and get away with it during an audit.

If no jeep is owned. We could claim 3/4's of the cost of the farmers car and 1/2 of the spouse's car. Its common sense really. At the end of the day, Revenue will only make an issue out of it if its obliviously excessive.

In summary, its best to be cautious. Especially with the recent approach from Revenue. In the last month or so, there has been a change in their approach to everything. The good times, Revenue wise at least, are over for a while.

• Advertisement

The last full audit we had was 4 years ago! The last 30 months with covid have been good that way. But that is going to change I feel. There has been a very noticeable clamp down by Revenue on a whole range of issues in the last month. So I'd say, Revenue audits are going to get more likely in the next year or so.

If you are a full time farmer I can see little issue with a jeep (claim everything possible) however if you are in employment elsewhere I'd agree you need to be very careful what you are putting through the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Robson99

Surely you can write off all Jeep expenses even if you are in full time employment so long as the Jeep is solely for farm use [ ie seperate car for work ]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭older by the day

I think alot of this chat is coming down to the accountant. We changed the family car,( I have a jeep) and was told that was no help to my tax. Same with other things, I would consider farm expenses but he would rule out. He only goes in about the pension. (Which lost 950 last year).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Yes. A jeep is 100% claimed as a farm capital allowance and the running costs as a farm expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭straight

My accountant doesn't give us anything for the car either. I think it's fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭straight

My accountant wants to talk to me about incorporation. It's a big step for a small farmer with an uncertain future the way environmental regs and everything else is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

How much of a taxable profit would you want to consider incorporating. 100k minimum or more???

• Advertisement

Advertisement