Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

It’s been claimed on some VW owners forums that Volkswagen lost money on pretty much all of the e-Golfs they sold and reluctantly had to keep building them for longer than planned in small numbers due to delays in getting ID.3 production underway. ID.3’s were initially being built for €10k less per car than the e-Golfs which ties in with the obvious differences in build quality. Mk 8 Golfs also seem to have gone backwards losing small stuff like bonnet struts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mun1

Ordered MY RWD, colour MSM. Now the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah I lumped safety and driver aids together which is probably unfair. I just don’t know exactly what the standard MY offers there. Certainly there are driver aids in the Ariya that aren’t in the MY, which is really how I should have said it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Part of the “issue” here the the “basic” features of the Y are actually quite laden, stuff like heated rear seats, double amp sub audio, autosteer, heated mirrors, heat pump, electric memory driver seat etc all exist on the “basic” model so for like to like comparison these need to be added to the spec of competitor EV

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

I know for sure that the HUD and self park are things that the MY doesn’t have. Although beyond that I don’t know how Nissans ProPilot compares to the basic autopilot on the MY item by item because it’s actually hard to find that detail in the Tesla site. The Ariya is pretty stacked as standard as well in that regard though.

HUD Tesla doesn’t have.

Self park is part of the EAP Option.

Are Self Parking and HUD on the base entry level Nissan or Skoda or do you have to add options to get it?

Lets make sure we are comparing like for like.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,077 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Richard Symonds wasn't to impressed with Tesla self 0arking when he tested them. I'd imagine it's even worse now without sensors and only relying on cameras?

Self parking is something I'd never actually use, I can guarantee I'd park the car in the space faster myself.

Post edited by TitianGerm on

I wouldn’t use it either to be honest.

I have it on my M3P, I had it in my i3 and I had it on a Skoda Superb.

Use it once for a laugh but then never after that 😀

It’s not base level Ariya, it’s the Evolve. As I mentioned in my OP it’s comparable price wise, being less than €2k more expensive with the upgraded seats (which cover almost all of that difference). The standard tech in the Evolve is excellent and has the HUD and ProPilot2 (with the self park) included in that. So the lower battery Evolve is the one you’d compare to the MY and that’s what I went through originally.

As I said, the MY comes out on top in some areas, the Ariya on others. So it’s probably a personal preference type job. The areas the MY come out on top aren’t that important for me and the areas that the Ariya comes out on top include a few of the nice to haves on my list (the HUD for example). Obviously others would prefer the longer range over the HUD or whatever.

All that said, our Ariya has already been delayed and we’re not entirely convinced it’s going to show so we may well end up with an MY after all!

• Advertisement

It be a tough choice if they were both ready and available for collection now.

I had a Leaf 24 for 2 years and have 3 L40’s in work. They are a good car and in fairness to Nissan, the kick started the EV trend with the L24. Tesla had a big part to play too obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

@unkel You mentioned the subsidy going, has anything been confirmed or what do you think is likely? It would certainly be another reason to pull the trigger, as many have done in this thread already.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It was in the budget for 2023 that the SEAI EV grant of €5000 will be reduced from July 2023. No details known yet. I'd expect it to be gone completely by sometime in 2024

And yes, get a reasonably well priced EV like the Model Y and grab the subsidy just before it ends likely means that the car will be quite well shielded from heavy depreciation.

Budget 2023.

My guess is

July 2023 €3500

July 2024 €2000

July 2025 Gone!

We thought we got very lucky with the Ariya. We were told it would be in within 2 weeks. That was 5 weeks ago. Given it was before the MY reduction and was apparently going to available almost immediately it was a bit of a no brainer. We’ll see if that bears out in the coming weeks I suppose. But yeah, there’s feck all between the 2. The missus is a bit concerned about the suspension thing on the MY though, which I understand. I believe there is still some confusion/conflicting reports over what will be delivered in the new year.

Revised suspension has already been shipping on cars from China and Fremont for the last few months.

The 2022 MY demo in sandyford has the revised suspension while the 2021 MY demo has the older suspension so good comparison on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

I ordered with the black interior and am wondering should I have gone with the white. I'm leaning towards changing as lots of the reviews online maintain the white is really easy to clean even when you have a couple of young kids in and out of it. The fact that the back of the two front seats seems to be black in helping convince me it won't be that bad with kids. Has anyone here had Tesla's with the white interior and how did you find it trying to maintain it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Hhhmm, question? When I add the tow hitch, delivery changes to one month earlier, has anyone else seen this? Im not sure what to make of it!

Im guessing Tow Hitch and MSM should put me over the Grant, buts thats not evident in the breakdown?

OK I see that the PDF shows the added 5K, so no Tow Bar so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

Its either tow bar or colour. I went with tow bar for bike rack. White standard boggo spec (lol).

delivery jan-feb but im hoping doesnt mean im getting mine from god knows where

• Advertisement

Strange isnt it? Add a towbar get the car early, its like a promo 🤪

I have the white in my M3P.

Easier than you think to keep clean but you can’t neglect it. Stains do show up more often because of the contrast.

I try to stay on top of it and I feel clean then every other month with a dedicated cleaner and coat them with GTechniq L1.

Also, in the new cars the door cards are black now and not white anymore so there’s a lot less white on show now.

It should display it immediate that you are over the grant. At lease it does to me.

You don’t have to go to any other screen or pdf or breakdown

Pick the colour you want and get the tow bar fitted after collection. Keep the grant then 😉

"Currently the Model Y standard range has a waiting time of just one to four weeks rather than several months, according to the company's website configurator. Since it takes some time for an order to be processed and a car manufactured, this means there is enough capacity at present to meet forecast demand in China without breaking a sweat."

"Tesla does not offer a standard-range Model Y in the U.S. market, as Americans would not accept a vehicle that can drive only the equivalent of 267 miles on the European WLTP test cycle. Germany does, however, and the price for the same vehicle imported out of China is €53,990 ($53,000), although a large chunk of the premium is due to the country's 19% value-added tax and import duties."

Considering anyone that ordered is being told March and even allowing 4 weeks by Sea from China. This seems to indicate that cars for Ireland will be built in Germany.

I really want to change alright. Guess I need to get up to Dublin and see the white seats in person to fully make up my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

H.U.D. Is a must for me, Its brilliant for navigation, music and speed limits, whilst never taking ones eyes of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JOHNNYBEGOOD 123

UK and Ireland only countries in Europe not able to order the two new colours only made in Germany at present.

Seems all RHD are being made in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nope. New colours only available on LR AWD and P, not on RWD. I just checked the Dutch Tesla site for reference.

When you select say the AWD LR, you get the new colours:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JOHNNYBEGOOD 123

Correct. RWD is not available anywhere in new colours. Made on China.

Advertisement