Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

badenoch switches from Johnson and publicly backs Sunak. That’s significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Boris doesnt have Steve Baker or the rest of ERG I dont see how he hits 100 without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I don't believe the ERG act as a homogeneous block all of the time, no whip. Some of them, eg. JRM, will support him anyway, others may see him as the least worse option (from their pov) and someone they can manipulate. I can't see an out and out ERG type who has a chance of becoming leader, and even if there was, they probably wouldn't be accepted by the general public which would play into Labour's hands. Boris has always been a useful idiot for them.

Mogg hasnt really been too involved with the ERG since he went into cabinet, Mark Francois is the current chair but hasnt spoke up at all yet. Bridgen and Baker would be a pretty good representation of the views imo so if they arent supporting him then i cant see many others doing so.

Well they have to support somebody, so who? Individuals may just choose for themselves, in which case some may go with Boris. He doesn't need them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,579 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Does the fact that it's a private ballot work in Boris' favour or not? Are the public endorsements by MPs coming because they believe in Boris, or just because they think he will win? Similar to 'shy Tory voters', do we have 'shy Boris voters' not willing to publicly back him but who will vote for him all the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,959 ✭✭✭Christy42

Interesting to note a few bbc journalists have been willing to repeat claims he has 100 backers. It reads like an attempt to flush out more public supporters by convincing them he is the winning side by the Boris camp.

And the BBC "journalists" are more than happy to have their contacts abuse them for access.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Correct me if I'm wrong but i thought the requirement is 100 public nominations.

Nope they dont have to be public, simply need to be delivered by email or physically to Tory Hq

• Registered Users Posts: 68,651 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

He is not running, but my god the damage has been done.

Tory politics is in chaos.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

There's no way he's got over 100.

He was practically begging Mordaunt this morning to row in behind him in a bid to win over all of her supporters to give his own numbers a boost. That's not the act of someone who has the numbers, it's the act of someone who doesn't has the numbers and is making one desperate attempt to win some last votes to get him over the line.

Johnson is a narcissist and could never admit to the fact he didn't get the numbers required, because that is not how narcissists work. By saying he got the numbers when he didn't and then say he is acting in the national interest, he is painting himself as the good guy and that he does everyone a favour and people will speak good of him. This is typical narcistic behaviour, putting themselves in a position where they can be adored.

As ever with Boris, it's always about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The Tories smashing glass ceilings again giving Britain it's first Prime Minister with an Indian background. It will no doubt be a proud moment for the British Indian community.

The Tories gave Britain 3 female PMs and a Jewish PM in the past and now this.

Honestly can't see Rishi making it 2 years with the state of the Tory party infighting and absolutely no way they make it to 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 18,488 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Fair amount of shade from Sunak here : he appears to be telling Johnson to 'get off the stage' in coded terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I can't see Johnson wanting to be leader of the Tories if they're in opposition. So I suspect this was his last chance on a big return.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Last few days have just been so typical Johnson.

Away on holidays during one of the most tumultuous periods of UK politics in years. Came back when he saw a sniff of an opportunity to gain power. Had portions of the media fawning over him doing so. Lied about exactly what was going on and abandoned those who supported him when it became clear it was a futile exercise.

All it has done is undermined Sunak's leadership and further shown up the motivations within the Tory party. The more I think about it, the more incredible it seems that there was no mechanism by which to initiate a General election over the last 2 weeks. To keep the electorate shut out from the process immediately after Brexit had been sold to the country on the basis of 'taking back control' is a pretty clear demonstration once again of how much of a lie that was.

I'm glad Johnson has failed, and even more so that it made Dories, Zawhai and Mogg pin their colours to his mast once again and are left with egg on their face but the UK is still vey much in a crises.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,337 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Just laugh at how idiotic Sturridge and Heaton-Harris feel tonight, but then they both might have Dunning-Kruger syndrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yes, I can hear it now: "I understand you have a great love of the Caribbean Boris, so I have decided to exploit your particular talents by appointing you governor-general of Montserrat"....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,685 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

A jeysus the poor people of Montserrat have had enough woes with the volcano and all that.

Can't see him being too popular on an island that is more black and Irish than The Commitments either 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 18,488 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Indeed, I was getting Duke of Windsor vibes from that tweet. "Why don't you do us all a favour and take up some fancy titled position abroad with your missus and never return?" 😊

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Speaks to the levels of hubris that Johnson, presumably, thought he could finish his holidays, swan back to Blighty and be feted as the returning hero to sort out the Tories; I won't deny I'd have loved to be there when he realised that the smoke JRM and Dorries were blowing up his backside was unfounded & the Tories confirmed they wanted nothing to do with him. Though the fact Sunak now smells like the sensible, middleground choice is depressing.

That was a somewhat unsurprising exchange: I've seen/heard it before with LBC callers who seem to conflate ethnicity with nationality. You see the same here to a degree, but whereas we've only had maybe a maximum of 30 years of Ireland as a Melting Pot, there's a cultural narrative of UK as this cosy, fuss-free land of successful integration and harmony - yet idiots like that caller demonstrate there's a clear, demonstrative glass ceiling at play in the minds of its white demographic.

"Boris loves England" was a standout, darkly funny line though. Amid all the pathetic racism of the man that was the understandable focus, it's deeply amusing how some have utterly believed Johnson's facade. Mind you, Johnson's white so ... we know why his brand's easier to buy into than Sunak's.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yep. Fair amount of animosity towards Sunak from Tory members it seems.

let alone the general public.

choppy waters ahead for RS

• Registered Users Posts: 68,651 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Who was the candidate on Morning Ireland who was claiming the race is not over and that he was still in it?

It seems Mordaunt reckons she can still get to 100 - presumably Boris backers switching to her to block Sunak. It could go to the membership after all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,481 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It also hands him a handy weapon he can use to undermine Mordant or Sunak after they take the flak for the winter crisis. He can just say he acted in the national interest and then stick it in when he feels like it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,093 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Probably just hoping that Sunak offers her what she wants to withdraw rather than holding out any real hope.

• Administrators Posts: 53,735 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So we are supposed to believe that Boris flew home from holidays, did all his begging and bartering, finally got the numbers to run in a vote that he would almost certainly win and become PM again this week.

But then, decided he shouldn't.

This man's casual relationship with the truth is really something.

• Administrators Posts: 53,735 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I dunno, I think if she can scrape to 100 she will take her chances in the members vote. I reckon she has a decent chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,093 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

There's going to be a non-binding, indicative vote of the MPs if there are 2 of them who pass the threshold. It seems the idea for that is the hope that whoever comes second in that would gracefully withdraw at that point. Presumably so that they can "heal" the party and crown the winner today without going to the members. Now, obviously Boris Johnson would have probably not have gone along with that plan but Mordaunt actually might.

Advertisement