Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Krispy Cremes won't accept Cash??

Options
  • 21-10-2022 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭A Knight of Ireland

Friend queued up for ages at the drive thru at Krispycremes in Blanch and they wouldnt take her money??

How can this happen? Cash is still legal tender in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Legal tender only exists in settlement of debt. A retailer is completely entitled to refuse to take cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

Quite a few petrol stations around D15 sell boxes of luxury donuts. Just grab a couple boxes on the fly, no need to queue.

1 or 2 convenience shops too I think.

Try offbeat donuts too. Drop anywhere that doesn't take cash.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Not being prepared to accept cash for a couple of poxy donuts 😅🤣.. no, just wouldn’t entertain doing business with any retailer of that attitude.

The growing notion where some businesses believe that it’s up to the customers to facilitate business… when in fact it should be quite the opposite…given the direction that the cash is heading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

Slightly out of location, though on topic, there's a small hotel near me in Co Louth that also serves as the only pub in the village.

It stopped taking cash when it opened after the pandemic closures. Captive audience, there isn't an alternative for several Kms!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Do you wanting someone handing you a doughnut after handling filthy lucre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Tongs are helpful, gloves are not unles you take them off when accepting money and put them back on.

Tapping a card is more hygenic and it got going during Covid.

will you then eat them while wearing plastic gloves? do you carry around a sterilized tongs?

cause if not then the chain of perfect hygiene will be broken. what surfaces have you touched since last washing your hands, who has touched the steering wheel or door handle.

is there someone in the back, boxing up your donuts but didn't wear fresh gloves, rendering the question of cash/card irrelevant, maybe they've already been touched by a glove that was less than perfect. or did they use a fresh tongs, and then pass the box to the cashier, again making the cash/card question irrelevant. does the cashier use hand sanitizer anyway. is there an airborne virus around?

many questions and possibilities.

all i know is if you're not taking cash im buying it somewhere else. even if i have my cards on me. i hear that nonsense and im off.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No cash means less security and banking costs means lower prices.

Everyone can climb down off their high horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I don't see the problem. I haven't used cash for many years. In fact two years ago was the first time in years I held cash after selling my car.(that's the way the guy paid so i wasn't going to refuse)

I really don’t understand the hype about that brand. Tried them, expecting something mind blowingly amazing - got a very mediocre donut.

Seems Ireland is still full of suckers for US brands.

That massive queue in Blanchardstown a few years ago was utterly cringe and made US news. You’d swear we’d never seen a donut before.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I agree we should dump the American food companies and have our own brand McDonald's and call it Bia Blasta and all in the old McD buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

They brought this in as a COVID measure originally . A few other businesses did the same.

• There’s a local dominos won’t accept cash as well. Pain in the ass when you want pizza but you’ve only cash nothing in bank.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Answer is simple, don't patronise businesses that won't take cash. And let them know if possible.

I don't like taking cheques but if a customer (I know) wants to pay by cheque, do I refuse. Bloody sure I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

Local takeaway won't take cash for deliveries, I asked them why.

Drivers were being robbed of money on a weekly basis and it was putting them (and profits) at risk.

Since they've been clear no cash (only tips) will be accepted there's been 0 robberies. It's difficult enough to get drivers, why put them at extra risk and risk losing the few they have. That's pretty much what I was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

Boycott them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Sure what is the harm? Just tap your card ffs

its 2022

whinge bags

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

First World problems go unnoticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

While there's many advantages to digital banking and paying with your card, there are also many disadvantages of moving to a cashless society.

A big company like this one will probably have a competitive deal with their bank in terms of charges for cards, but I'm not sure if smaller businesses would be in as strong a position. I heard one restaurant owner recently saying that they were paying €1k a month in credit card commissions, and I'd be fearful that this is only the start of it.

Banks have been moving people away from cash over the years because it suits them. But while it's cheap (and in many cases free) at the moment to tap, wait and see what happens if you're left with no alternative but to pay with cards - then they'll start upping the charges, especially when there's effectively only three banks left in the country.

Banks have shown consistent contempt for customers over the years, and the recent debacle with AIB's botched attempt to turn 70 of its branches into cashless operations is another reminder of how they would behave if they were left to their own devices.

There was also the situation recently where the Aviva Stadium's technology went down for a couple of hours during an American Football Game recently. The stadium had made the decision to go cashless, and they chose to give away 75% of their stock for free at a cost of about €500k.

I'm often amused when staff working on tills are totally confused when they have to operate the cash box - it's a sign of the way things are going.

Yeah but dont worry about not being able to eat your chosen food, larbre hasnt touched cash in years. So its ok.

Advertisement