Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the government right to put no limit on the amount of Ukrainian refugees in Ireland? Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There were a number of exceptions. They may or may not fall into those categories.

Yes I believe fathers with more than 2 children or men with certain illnesses.

If this lot fall into either of those categories why are they only arriving now?

Hopefully word filters back to Ukraine that this isn't such a land of milk and honey any longer.

It would be unlikely that a lot of them would fall into the "2 kids" category given that they appear to be single males on their own.

I think there were other categories. I assume some medical conditions anyway. The likes of diabetes or that might disqualify them. Why now? Maybe they couldn't get out until now.

Highly unlikely it took them 7 months to get over here.

They have been spurred on by their buddies who are already here and on the gravy train. Unfortunately it looks like they missed that train.. For now anyway

Another thing discussed on radio today. Some ukrainian families nicely esconsed in hotels won't move out to offered accommodation. I suppose who wants to leave a hotel room with all meals provided and a network of your fellow countrymen plus transport for your kids to school. To live in Mrs Murphy spare room and maybe have to chip in with meal prep or living expenses.

This country is such a soft touch.

Cap the numbers now, take no more IP chances and move people out of hotels where possible to save some money.

That's all irrelevant. The EU granted protection to all Ukrainians. Ireland is not responsible for enforcing any Ukrainian laws or regulations. We are subject to the EU Directive and do not have discretion to arbitrarily decide who we can ignore it for

Numbers cannot be capped. They have permission to go wherever they want to within the EU.

• Advertisement

"Tougher checks, more deportations, and tented accommodation during the winter for Ukrainians are among the measures the Government will approve to better control the influx of migrants into Ireland."

"Government sources said in recent weeks there has been a large increase in the number of single males arriving into Ireland from Ukraine, whereas initially it was mainly women and children. Males now account for 39% of all arrivals, the meeting will be told tonight."

"Sources have said there has been an increasing number arriving from Georgia claiming to be coming from a war-torn country, even though there is no war there.

Increasingly, Ireland is seeing economic migrants seeking to claim they are from a war-torn country and even refuse to say what flight they arrived in on when speaking to garda officers.

A source said Ireland must abide by its legal obligations to those from Ukraine, but said: “We cannot be a soft touch, or be seen to be a soft touch”."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Did they say Economic Migrants with a straight face... All the Racists have being saying that for years apparently. 🤪

Yup and being worried about being seen as a soft touch, that boat sailed years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Doing other stuff atm but who said it. Do we know. Not had time to read the article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Thousands and thousands of exceptions going by what I’ve seen for months at the location near where I have a twice or thrice weekly appointment, and also newspaper and online photos and articles

lots of fit, healthy, young and able young men, 20’s - 50’s… with what are apparently guardians for children so it’s not like plethora of single dads 😏

Article I read a few days ago, couple in their mid ‘40s, 3 kids, explaining how they settled into life here. Guy looked the perfect example of human health and fitness and I’m sure it would have been said had he been medically unfit… nope. Just here, free accommodation, free 200 quid a week. Lovely.

Of course, the journalist didn’t have the stones or the journalistic integrity to enquire how he managed to get in here and qualify for our benefits as opposed to having to stay and defend his country and fellow citizens, just a ‘feel good’ story… awhh look, young family, kids an an …..an….

and as the poster above said… loads of young males, single…..

we are being had…..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I am still disgusted at the Ukrainian ambassadors comments.

We have basically gifted housing desperately needed for own homeless/students and demolished our domestic tourism industry for the sake of a country half way across the globe with no historical connection to us. (where a war is only happening in 1% of the vast country) and she comes out with that shite?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

She also said if there was no accommodation the refugees should have been told before they left for Ireland... But this is absolutely not an option, according to the unanimous opinion of the talking heads on RTE radio earlier. We simply cannot turn anyone away. End of discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Great point, ‘if’ they fall into any special category or non special categories, why indeed now are they all arriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I have been a strong supporter of EU support for Ukraine. Putin is a threat and there is a need to stand up to him. I have supported the need to provide shelter in the EU for Ukrainians escaping war zones. I also recognise that this support is not without cost for citizens across the EU as we are seeing with energy prices - many businesses will go under this winter with energy bills and it is affecting disposable income in households across the EU.

I am very disappointed with the comments from the Ukrainian ambassador which come across as entitled and do not recognise the massive sacrifices people are already making. They also do not recognise that we already have had a homeless crisis for many years and housing is already under stress across the country. This is not the only pressure on the system.

There is a need for the EU to think of what is next…how to reduce the pressures on countries and that there is an unwinding of the refugee crisis as things stabilise.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You yourself are a member of the squeeze them all in brigade, that call for us to continue to accept people we can not currently provide for.

Really? you'll have no problem providing citation for that. In your own good time.

We need to make rhus country less enticing.

And anyone who thinks the majority will go home after the war finally ends is absolutely delusional.

No she didn't.

When you see media organisations using one word quotes, one should always sound alarm bells.

Watch the video, that itself is heavily edited, but it does give a lead up to her vox pop.

Reporter - The Ukrainian Ambassador believes more notice should have been given that this crisis loomed.

Ambassador - It's unacceptable for us because we are worrying about our people.

Again, one word quotes, immediate red flag.

Then the actual bit in the article that literally everyone on here agrees with.

"They bought tickets, they arrived in Ireland. So it would be better to announce the lack of accommodation in advance and Ukrainians would decide to go to another country,"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I am the very same.

to be honest I’m still processing her comments.

Quite simply she needs to resign and get out of Ireland. Her position is untenable.

Such an ungrateful attitude.

To quote a previous poster - she has some neck “like a jockeys bollix”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

They’re going to all work in the tourism and services industry sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

completely agree

when This awful war ends, how many of the Ukrainians who fled over here will return?

To rebuild a destroyed country.

What is a Very poor country with load of corruption.

I’m sure some will return back to build up their country and you know what, I kinda have a quiet respect for that. Good on them.

but u would have to worry that a LOT of them are “here to stay” for ever and a day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Not believing any of that was said.

Just heard Thomas Byrne say there won’t be a cap and we won’t be limiting arrivals.

You can do that if you want. But you need to do it for everyone. So many of those calling for benefits to be cut might get a shock when it applies across the board

Nice emotional rant. As the poster explained to you above, one exemption is if you have 3 kids. You don't have to fulfill all criteria for every exemption in order to be exempt.

Perhaps you should try to stop stop spending so much time going around and admiring all these "fit, healthy and young men"........

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

A better solution would be that refugees pay for what they get .For example those in hotels should be contributing for their meals and bills . We have a family in our vacant house who get the same amount as those in hotels yet buy all their own food and cleaning stuff and contribute towards the broadband . Yes some will say our family have the benefit of a house to themselves and independance but they have far less disposable income than those in hotels . A daily contribution towards their keep in hotels would be a solution .

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

CeCe12 threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's clear that we have an EU obligation to accept genuine Ukrainian war refugees. We should ensure though that the benefits and arrangements here parallel what is offered in all other EU states inc Poland, Italy and Hungary etc.

We must not offer shelter to Ukrainian males who do not have a dispensation to leave their state.

We must separate the international protection applicants on arrival, interview and send back immediately those who do not meet criteria.

I too am disappointed in the attitude of the Ukrainian ambassador here. She's seems a bit out of touch with the common Irishman or woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Have Ukraine asked any other countries to return males claiming asylum? I expect we should do what the other countries do. Have you a definition of the 'dispensation' you're seeking? Are there EU guidelines here? Have you brought this up with your TD?

Based on what the reactions been from the government, seems like the Ukrainian ambassador is absolutely in synch with our Government, who represent all of us.

Advertisement