Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why should I care about Climate Change while China has 43 New Coal Fired Power Stations in the works

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

And keep in mind they hit their caps at the height of the crypto bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Ah - hydro is usually counted seperately to renewables.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

This is a handy, simple image to show the rate of acceleration of temperature rise relative to a baseline of 1850. The darker the red, the bigger the delta between 1850 and the month shown. So for example, October 1922 is slightly higher than the average of all Januarys in the measured period. October 2021 is much higher than October average, and starting in about 1931, it gets warmer and warmer with 1976 the last year of an average/slightly below average October.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Looks pretty in line with population growth. C02 during the industrial revolution. 1760 – 1840 If it was just C02 why is it not showing up from 1850 ? Or was it some kind of clean c02 back then.

There were 910 million people. Close to 8 billion now, with far more industrialization per capita. CO2, CH4, CFCs all contribute their share. Comparing wood-fired trains to cargo ships burning bunker-fuel? nah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

The graph is climate propaganda. In addition to HADCRUT there are several endlessly adjusted datasets out there (GISS, RSS and NCEI) that are used for the purposes of computer modelling. HADCRUT5 is just the latest adjustment (previous HADCRUT4 & HADCRUT3) from the UK met office. How did they make HADCRUT5 warmer? they fiddled with sea‐surface temperature measurements from ships. The whole concept of a global temperature anomalies is, in any event, meaningless. What matters are temperature trends at a local level, you won't find those dataset trends in local measured data. What you are looking at is attempts to estimate global temperature changes that rely on “anomalies” i.e. deviations from a baseline observation. Which raises another distortion, since temperatures vary naturally in the high northern latitudes much more than in the tropics.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

They only had data till then. You're missing the acceleration problem - it's getting hotter, faster; this is implied by the colours - it's now all red because it's always far above average, year after year.

This is just temperature data, it doesn't show CO2.

Sorry, tovarisch. The only propaganda on Boards is coming from you RuSSia apologists on the Russia threads, and the climate-change denialists (yourself included.) It's good science to update the data which is what Hadcrut does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Pointless considering it just be passed to consumer. Us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Kurooi

And as a consumer, this is a nightmare. But if goal is climate, responsible business, then the increased price will negatively impact demand. Corporates will target decreasing this new cost as a way of competitive advantage. As it stands, say I buy a tiny gizmo, a monitor HDMI converter, the manufacturer will pack my £10 item into styrofoam, in a cardboard box, foil. Likely pad packaging to make it look big and appealing, add plastic to hold it in place. Then amazon will throw it into a cardboard box 3 times the size necessary, pad it with paper and packing corn. Wrap the whole thing with foil in case rain gets in.

All because there is virtually no cost to them. They pay virtually nothing for those packing materials, the visual appeal of the product far outweighs the cost to them, or my displeasure at receiving 1kg of recycling with every clam shell packaging purchase. The tiny risk of me returning the product because it was damaged in transit outweighs the cost of that packaging, and the tiny bit of time of any of the employees or automated process to check what exactly is inside the box, is it worth that packing, outweighs the cost of just wrapping everything extra.

There is no sense in shaming me for buying something stupid like that, like my guilt will make up for the damage. I don't even enjoy it, it's manufactured to be wasted and all means I've to take out my recycling bin more than I should ever need to. If these decisions cost the companies more someone inside would bring it up and take even 30 minutes to talk about obvious quick changes they could make to reduce the waste and save real money. So long as it's cheap, it's not on their radar.

Wait so now were saying CO2 is doing nothing ? Are we suggesting since the end of the industrial revolution temperature has just naturally risen.

You just keep sealioning from one bumper of the lane to the other, making strawman arguments along the way, as nobody said anything about C02 "doing nothing"

Can you try being more clear with any cogent argument here (if any), surely you are not suggesting during the mid industrial revolution they were burning bunker fuel by the billions of barrels per year or punched holes in the ozone layer via CFC production? Widespread chemical industrialization happened post WWI IIRC. Not many forever-chemicals manufactured before then etc.

The ozone holes are natural Unfortunately. IIRC there were studies done suggesting that natural ozone replaces faster than it was destroyed. Not that banning CFC was not a good idea.

IIRC there were studies that said those studies are full of ****?

Advertisement