Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoJo banished - Liz Truss down. Is Rishi next for the toaster? **threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Sunak stood up in parliament and said "No Mister Speaker, I did not attend any Parties". Which would appear to be an attempt to deliberately mislead the House. This could get interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Not a good look though. All signals point to tax hikes in the UK, and to leave the likes of his eye-wateringly wealthy non-dom wife untouched will leave him helplessly politically exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭Rawr

…and we’ll probably get our resident Boards corrspondant for GB News back here to explain to all of us how wonderful the Tories are and always have been with the selection of Sunak.

He’s conspicuously absent tonight too…strange that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,862 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

No I was referring to his USA green card situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,224 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Good old BJ lying through his teeth.

Not a chance he had 100

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Will Boris' supporters jump to Penny ? Or MP's who only supported Sunak to beat Boris ?

If so and if she doesn't stand down then she still has a chance with the membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I don’t think there is any way. I’m amazed she got 20 something. The general sentiment seems to be that she’s not competent and so no way they’d risk another Truss

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Boris is a dead duck. The problem is the Brexit project is dead in the water. The idea that you can totally pull state supports and drop taxes to the very wealthy ( remember most of the tax cuts were going to those above 159 k sterling). Truss tried it the markets answered back.

The Tory right has wagged the Conservative dog for the last 6 years since Brexit. Its back to the old adage ''you can fool all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, it's hard to fool all of the people all of the time''

Reese Mogg's is just another one of those on the spectrum that cannot deal with reality. Boris lives in a dream land. A lot of there supporters are similar. They saddled the horse they found they could not ride it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,442 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That's all logical Bass. They have defied logic over there for the best part of the last decade. I wouldn't put anything past them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It’s hard to see them regaining the trust of the public before the next election, especially considering we’re heading into economic headwinds that could last a year or more. It reminds me of Fianna Fáil in the years running up to the 2011 General Election, the electorate is waiting to deliver a decisive blow.

The Conservatives could be out of Government for a decade. Boris is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,442 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What do they have though? 2 years max before an election? That's a lifetime in politics

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Just over two years, if they even make it that far. My feeling is they won’t get away with changing leader again, the party would split and loose a confidence vote if they did.

Two years is a long time, but with the realities of Brexit really only starting to set in economically now and it coinciding with an international economic downturn, I think their prospects will worsen considerably over the next few months.

They need way longer than two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If you look at history the problem with Consertives politics is the longer they are in power the further to the Consertives right they go. Blair and Cameron were immense politicians. They had the ability to pull there parties towards the center. Dick Spring was similar with Labour in Ireland.

However the core policies of the party then start coming to the fore. Cameron wanted to put the anti-EU wing of the party out to grass. He had already against the odds defeated the Scottish independence vote.

When the Brexit referendum took place a number of Consertives politicians instead of considering the country, instead were positioning themselves for a future leadership battle. Gove, Borris, Rabb etc. Borris never believed it could succeed. It was all about positioning a future leadership challenge.

Brexit was the nightmare Boris never wanted but when it landed on his lap he had to run with it. His problem was no matter how far he or the part went it was not enough for the ERG.

Just think of the stupidity of it. You leave the biggest market in the world on your doorstep, for what to trade with India, Australia and Canada.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Its hilarious to see how delusional Boris still is. I'm enjoying the humiliation. I don't believe he got close to 100 MPs. He would have gone for it if he had. He doesn't seem to be aware of how unpopular he is, even within the party. It's a shame, however, because him coming back would have inflicted untold damage on the Tories and sped up their demise.

The Tories will have to make unpopular decisions like raising taxes and cutting spending. They tried their dream scenario of trickle down economics and it spooked the markets and proved unpopular with voters before it could even be applied. Trying that again would be suicide. The approach they will have to follow is more like death by a thousand cuts.

They're going to have to pay the price for twelve years of mismanagement, though I'm sure them and their pals in the media will try to gaslight us into believing its all Labour, the EU and the SNP's fault.

Sunak is a safe option but he will just be a lame duck. The Truss shitshow has destroyed the authority of the office of PM in this Tory government.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭interlocked

The 54 that publically declared for Johnson, should be automatically be disbarred from ever holding ministerial office, by virtue of appalling bad judgement.

Not that, should disbar the rest of them, the Tories are a malignant tumour in British politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I see Robert Peston concurring and saying that Johnson was absolutely deluded in thinking he could return after a few weeks of leaving the office in disgrace, become PM again and form a government - as if he is unaware of just how many Tory ministers and MPs despise him.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,492 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

it's certainly going to feel like a lifetime for the British, who are going to have to put up with another two years of the demoralised and delusional Tory factions fighting like cats in a bag while the country collapses around them.

There's no "with one bound he was free" move for the Tories here. They have spend years encouraging fantasy politics and hollowing out the capacity of the state to manage the challenges that it now faces. They have done lasting damage that requires a lot of rebuilding; it's not going to be a quick job. There is precious little evidence that, even now, the Tories are ready to start that rebuilding; they are certainly not going to complete it in time to avoid a lot of pain for the people over the next couple of years, and they face almost certain humiliation at the next election.

Two things are happening at more or less the same time:

First, the economic harm inflicted by Brexit is becoming undeniable - the contraction of trade, the slowing of growth, etc. And this is happening just at a time when external economic shocks are affecting the UK, and it needs all the resources it can muster to alleviate their impact. Brexit gives it fewer resources.

Secondly, the Brexit itself project is visibly disintegrating as its internal contradictions tear it apart.

Brexit involves leaving the EU single market, which is a well-regulated developed market that is also very open to international trade. (By “well-regulated” I mean here that its regulatory system is comprehensive; it’s not an unregulated or patchily-regulated market. I’m not making any claim, one way or the other, about whether its regulations are optimal, the best regulations they could be.)

The costs of leaving the EU single market are, obviously, high. There is no point in incurring those costs unless you are going to take the opportunity to do something different. What could that be?

Broadly speaking, Brexit offers the opportunity to (a) move to a low-regulated, low-barrier economy that prioritises economic freedom (“Singapore-on-Thames”) or (b) you can move to a protectionist model where regulation and trading policy are focussed on promoting UK industries and UK employment. But you can’t do both; these are moves in opposite directions. ("Do you favour more open immigration or less immigration?" is a handy shorthand test for working out which way different Brexit supporters lean on this question.)

The Brexit project up to now has sought to persuade people that you can do both, or alternatively has sought to persuade different groups of Brexit supporters that the project will take the course that they favour. But it’s round about now that the wheels come off that strategy; the Brexit project must take one course and disappoint, alienate or anger one groups of supporters or it must take the other course and disappoint etc another group of supporters. Neither course of action will enjoy majority support; only 52% of the country ever wanted Brexit on any terms, and once you lose a chunk of them you're in minority territory. The third option is to continue to flounder, doing effectively nothing with new-found Brexit freedoms, and that will piss off everybody

So, all possible courses that the Brexit project can take from here are likely to be deeply unpopular. And the project has reached this point in the middle of an externally-imposed energy crisis ;eading to a domestic cost of living crisi, and just at the moment when the UK government has f*cked up its own financial position and its citizens mortgage and rent costs by raising the cost of its own borrowing through incredible idiocy. 

From here, I don’t see any course of action that can save the Tories before the next election. The start of the necessary rebuild has to be an acknowledgment, however low-key, that Brexit was a serious error and a move towards economic rapprochement with Europe; that will appeal to the 48%, and also to those of the 52% who have already arrived at this conclusion for themselves. But I don’t think in its present condition the Tory party is capable of that. It's too fevered and fragile; attempting such a change of course would tear it apart.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Registered Users Posts: 39,882 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So boris Johnson doing his best jay from the inbetweeners impression last night with that statement. I mean if he had 100 then he should’ve entered the contest after all the carry on of his returning from holiday.

can however he did have now change to one of the two candidates ? I mean could penny mordaunt be the liz truss of this go around ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭farmerval

If Sunak takes over, how will he make the Tories look like a grown up party again, like one that is not held hostage by Loons. Normal people all recognise that common sense migrant policy is required, sensible Visa arrangements for industry etc. Sensible Climate policies.

For the last few years the loons have ran the asylum, the question is will Sunak if he gets there, have the balls to stare down the ERG? Braverman backing him suggests she'll still be involved, which will be bad news. Having the super troll Rees Mogg out will help.

Everything under Johnson was reactionary, there was no actual policy, just continual sniping with the EU and made up culture war nonsense. Can Sunak bring any stability and the signs at least of grown up policy?

She could, but the momentum is with Sunak.

Even if all the declared Johnson supporters switch to her, on the figures we've seen I think she's well short of a the hundred nominations needed to go to a members' ballot. The forty or so undeclared supporters claimed by Johnson could also switch to her, assuming they're not fictional, and of course she could pick up some more nominations from MPs who have not yet yet made up their minds.

So, she could get the hundred nominations, but if she does she is certain to be a very distant second to Sunak, and the indicative vote of MPs will confirm that. If she pushes it to a ballot of members she will have an uphill battle.

To the extent that Johnson has a following based on his personal characteristics of bluster, bloviation and effortless self-confidence as an upper-class toff with a cast-iron sense of entitlement, she lacks all those characteristics. Johnson may be able to attract votes to himself that he cannot so easily direct to someone else. Party members who previously took his direction and voted Truss may not be so biddable now, after seeing how the Truss business turned out. Plus, at least some party members will now recognise the risks inherent in choosing a party leader when a substantial majority of the party to be led - the parliamentary party, that is - prefer someone else.

Tory party members have on the whole been extremely poor at choosing party leaders; most leaders chosen since election by members was introduced have been dismal; Cameron was probably the best of them, and he was pretty bad. So i don't underestimate their ability to make a contrary choice. But with recent events so fresh in their minds its hard to think that all of them, or a sufficient majority of them, will repeat exactly the pattern of behaviour that even the dimmer party members must see led to the Truss debacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,218 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'd say many could side with Penny just so that the membership get a vote, and thus the winner has more "legitimacy" within the party itself.

But the risk being that the membership will vote for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yikes - fair amount of animosity towards sunak from Tory members.

Let alone the general public.

Choppy waters ahead for him.

This isn’t going to end well. Rishi will most certainly get in but what then? There’s a lot of MPs that hate Rishi given what he did to Boris.

Whilst a failing economy and the next election will focus minds and make this episode a distant memory, I just don’t think he has the empathy to relate to the ordinary voter. He’s a toff and while Boris is also a toff, he had the common touch and charisma - he went around London on a bike and a battered old suv- Rishi has been filmed numerous times in the last week getting into an S class merc - worlds apart in voters eyes

The worst thing about all of this is that we’ll have to look at Liz Truss for the next 30 years or so as former prime ministers are wheeled out for various state occasions, weddings , funerals and the like- she’s such a fraud- I’m not a fan of cancel culture but I’d make an exception for her

Provided he can get through the ballot (assuming their is a members' ballot at all), after that the views of Tory party members don't matter very much.

What matters are the views of Tory MPs. Party members' views, and voters' views, are relevant only in so far as they influence MPs. MPs mostly despise party members, who are an utter pain to them. They pay more attention to the views of voters, esp. if they sit for a marginal seat — if the party has an unpopular leader, MPs sitting for marginal seat risk losing those seats unless that can be turned around.

But, the thing is, normally you try to turn it around by ditching the unpopular leader and choosing another, hoping that will give the party a clean slate with voters. But if the Tories were to dump Sunak and appoint another leader, it wouldn't matter a damn who the new leader was; the move would definitely damage the Tories, driving home the impression that voters already have that they are a divided, delusional, disorganised, ungovernable rabble. Whoever they choose this time, they are pretty much stuck with until the next election, however unpopular be becomes.

I’m not sure she’d get the membership vote- I’d bet there would be low voter turnout compared to the previous- while I don’t like Rishi, she would be Liz Truss part 2- she wouldn’t be able to form or hold on to a stable and effective government - I think Rishi could

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

I completely agree with all of this.

However it will be spun by the torys and right wing press that this is all the fault of Putin,the nasty EU,Johnny foreigner etc.

A large proportion of their population will buy this on differing levels as its easier than dealing with the truth.

Obviously like most people on here I have friends and family in the UK,I was chatting to a couple of them last week who were shocked when I told them our mortgages hadn't gone through the roof like theirs,the put it down to Putin and the cost of living crisis.

Advertisement