Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reflection on the pandemic: questions about the authorities' response.

Options
  • 06-10-2022 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

Stephen Donnelly's response to Fergus O'Dowd's question about whether a commission of inquiry into Covid deaths in nursing homes was being considered is on the following page.

Indeed there are several questions about the Irish authorities' response to the pandemic:

In the last weeks before Christmas 2020, why didn't the government simply keep the ban on sit-down dining in restaurants and cafés while letting barber shops and hair and beauty salons re-open? If that had been done, the lockdown early in 2021 would have been much shorter.

Why didn't the government keep the ban on sporting events for all of 2020? It was largely because of some local GAA matches that there was a lockdown in November 2020. We could have done without sport for one year.

Did Tony Holohan give any thought to the effects of lockdown on mental health?

Threadbanned users

DLink

Saviola1978?

snowcat

deidremf

dolanbaker

Flinty997

Don't Chute!

facehugger99

Risteard81

72sheep

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

The lack of responses to this post and the questions raised speaks volumes for the attitudes of many here.

Their response was an overreaction in the extreme, now they and their supporters prefer to keep quiet now that the fallout from their actions are being questioned by an ever-increasing percentage of the population.

Many of whom are now starting to feel that they really have been taken for a ride with all the additional powers and regulations that looking back failed completely to stop the spread of a virus that has infected almost 100% of the population. An enormous amount of dirs has been swept under a huge carpet that really needs to be investigated, before the next "pandemic" is announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I doubt the government will want an inquiry on any of it.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The government will simply say that every country took the same measures, and that they were necessary.

Yes the best example of global "blind leading the blind" while in a blind panic to be seen "doing something", without really examining the risks and consequences of their actions, now they mostly wish it will be quietly forgotten.

But on the other hand trying to show a veneer of control by raising the possibility of renewing restrictions if cases rise in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The government know they will never be able to bring restrictions back in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

They'll try, and if they do, there'll be more than enough people out there who will embrace any restrictions with glee, the same zealots will also happily call the dancing idiots to set non believers straight, and / or jam a camera in your face in order to shame you on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,037 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

For starters the lockdown didn't fail to stop the spread initially based on the data we know that numbers increased rapidly when restrictions were lifted (or ignored).

So why reply to a thread that's starting it's premise with strawman. Few posts in and the name calling and dogma had already started. It's just going to go around in circles.

If this was a serious thread it would be pointing out the contradictory measures taken like locking people at home while allowing people in from other countries. But it's not going down that route. It's going down the conspiracy route just general ranting.

With Respect, the lockdowns failed due to the inconsistent and contractionary measures you mentioned, but also it needs to be remembered that testing was patchy at best in the early days with only those who sought medical attention being tested, many with minor symptoms (those not listed) assumed they just had colds. The rapid increase in "cases" can mostly be attributable to the rapid increase in the testing regime that went from zero to national over the space of a few weeks.

I am very much of the opinion that the measures taken to stop COVID were and have been proven to be a complete and total failure, this can be proven by the fact that most of the population has since been infected, regardless of their vax status, but many not tested directly thus the official figures are far lower than reality. The biggest casualty in all of this is general physical and mental healthcare as we are now seeing excess deaths figure up to 15% higher than the 5 year average, if COVID killed so many elderly and frail people, we really should be seeing a reduction/undershoot of deaths as COVID took them a year or so earlier than they would have died without the outbreak.

But we are seeing the opposite, this is the legacy that has to be discussed, why do we have an excess of deaths?

is it due to the diversion of healthcare from all other medical care to fight (& fail) to defeat COVID or is it something else (that it's forbidden to discuss), the government and "experts" have a lot of answering to do and it is clear that they will be dodging the questions for a long time into the future.

If COVID has passed why are we seeing an excessively high level of deaths in healthy people that are not COVID related?

At least in the UK the government are going to discuss some of these points, we should be doing the same here.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cdp-2022-0173/#:~:text=On%20Monday%2024%20October%202022,behalf%20of%20the%20Petitions%20Committee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

I miss the lunatic Covid threads and posters.

This is nostalgic and quaint,carry on.

I'm retired and have loads of spare time on hands, but I have no intention of following anyone down those bottomless, labyrinthine rabbit holes. Life's far too short to be wasted on such a futile exercise.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

I will consider that response with the contempt that is deserves as it addresses none of the issues raised.

id suppose any retrospective would take into account the uncertainties at the time as well as the many social and economic pressures to act towards either extreme of "lockdown" vs "open up completely"

but it's very difficult to gain much traction on message boards with that kind of logic i admit

The population hasn't been infected with the same variant. Its disingenuous to just leave that out. Pretty much invalidates much of your post.

Covid hasn't "passed", it's still around.

It's impossible to reply to a load of vague statements with no context or data. You might have asked why do people always have soup on a monday.

One of the issue you raised was why was no one replying. He answered that.

Spanish flu is still with us as well, so what's your point, it has evolved into something that is just yet another seasonal virus, so in that respect, COVID is still around.

As for the excess deaths, well here is one of many articles on the issue

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2335991-there-are-thousands-more-uk-deaths-than-usual-and-we-dont-know-why/

The main speculation is that this could be caused by the diversion of healthcare away from all other aspects of health to concentrate exclusively on fighting COVID.

My point is you've utterly inaccurate with the majority of what you've posted thus far. How is anyone expected to take you seriously or bother replying. Not sure what's happening in UK has to do with Irish Authorities and the lockdown. Seems like thats a entirely different subject.

That's fine, keep your head buried in the sand and ignore everything that is contrary to what you have been indoctrinated with over the past three years.

Ignoring things you don't agree with, might be why you got such a poor response in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭live4tkd

Hindsight is 20:20 and I would have hated to be in the governments shoes throughout this but I believe it is important to ask questions to prepare for the future. I would have supported the governments stance for the first few months. However we do need an enquiry (doubt it will happen though) as to some of the huge decisions made and their consequences which have, are still being and have yet to be felt:

1. Nursing homes and why patients were transferred there (even though it happened worldwide we still need to know the basis for the decision at the time).
    2. Summer 2020 they refused to relax restrictions (up to May 18th with a 3 week review period) even though case went down to single figures.
    3. Internal travel restrictions and how they were implemented and penalties for same. Garda Checkpoints going to work. Some living near beaches with no-one still being reprimanded. `Closing schools and much of the economy while sending the police after people who sat on park benches – was the most draconian policy introduced in peacetime`.
    4. Why were NPHETs figures not questioned continuously throughout. This is so important as so many lives depended on the decisions Covid or not.
    5. The reticence in using Antigen testing (snake oil as was called by NPHETs Phillip Nolan).
    6. Why was there such deference to NPHET all the time. Journalists and Government treated them like the Catholic Church of old and you were an antivaxxer etc. if you disagreed!
    7. Why were such a constant fear narrative with so many doom mongering experts wheeled out all the time in media to give to same continuous narrative frightening some in the population and some of whom are still afraid!
    8. Why was there no proper adult mature reflection or debate about Irelands response be it good, bad or indifferent?
    9. Why was our response so tunnel visioned? Was there any cost benefit analysis performed into the physical, mental, social, economic consequences of Irelands response outside of Covid? Nothing else was considered if it wasn`t a Covid death and it didn`t matter for a long time. The new UK prime minister raised this in the UK in August https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-lockdown-files-rishi-sunak-on-what-we-werent-told and I suspect we were very similar.
    10. Why was there such vilification of the unvaccinated especially at a time, when the vilification campaign began, that a high percentage of our population were vaccinated already?
    11. What basis were the vaccine passports issued for if the vaccine companies themselves have not claimed that the vaccines fully prevent transmission even though they are effective at preventing hospitalisations and deaths due to Covid?
    12. Why was there such a one sided narrative in national national media throughout?

I hope we never experience anything like this again. I have lost a lot of respect for some in government, some medical personnel, media personalities in the way they behaved throughout this with their endless scaremongering. I feel all sense of balance was lost and despite what some think here borderline infringed on civil rights at times in some instances. I said on a post previously that we would need some sort of majordistraction to snap us out of Covid here in Ireland. Unfortunately we got it in the form of Putin's invasion of Ukraine as

The vaccine rollout here was a success and I have no doubt COVID deaths were prevented by Irelands response to COVID in Ireland but the big question for me continues to be at what cost!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Lots of good questions there, but you're obviously an antivaxer so there's no need to answer any of them, it'd only be feeding the troll ...

Clearly I don't think this, but there are a great many who do.

On the other hand, questions are being asked in the EU parliament now, and it appears that Von der Leyen may have overstepped the mark in several ways regarding procuring the vaccines. Wouldn't it be a howl if the contracts she signed were invalidated and as a result the companies are due nothing (won't happen even if they do invalidate the contracts)?

Personally I feel that Von der Leyen's tenure may be shortened by her actions on the contracts. Time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

A good start would be why our Health Bureaucrats imposed the most severe restrictions in Europe for a virus that disproportionately affects the elderly despite us having one of the youngest populations and our sparse population spread...it was bonkers, it's the poor people who were frightened out of their wits by those very same bureaucrats I feel sorry for, you'll never get back those years!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I think the lack of responses is more of a 'people just want to move the fcuk on' tbh and try forget about the whole thing in general.

You don't really change anything with discussing the response or otherwise.

Certainly won't change the mind of anyone only thinking of themselves.

Antivaxxer, really? Because I dare question the vaccines!

I have taken my vaccines believe it or not! I am asking very serious questions here that I genuinely want answered. I doubt we would be out of this mess without the vaccines to be honest but I am allowed question them!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There are a few people, in the minority I would think, that care about what happened (they would have disagreed with any and every angle of the response at the time anyway) and would not accept any "official" findings if they didn't suit their own personal narrative. These seem to be the only people what want reviews etc.

The rest of the population (vast majority) accept that decisions have had to be made at various times and with the benefit of hindsight a number of these decisions could have been better timed or made in the fist place. A review ain't gonna change that.

As such the vast majority of people want to move on.

I assume that what you meant that you would TREAT my response with the contempt that IT deserves? If so then I'd like to express my appeciation to you for such an open minded and generous response.

That reply was actually intended for the post immediately before yours as it seems that your post got in before my reply, I have no issues with your reply.

I think that the fact you needed to defend yourself here speaks volumes about the sentiment from a significant percentage of the posters here as well as the general public, to use the "antivaxxer" brush to tar anyone who has concerns about how they were tested (or lack of) their efficacy and how they were imposed on some people for fear of job loss or social exclusion.

As things stand, I got COVID before the vaccines were available, therefore I obtained natural immunity and along with the other issues around the lack of testing and the profile of people who were having serious illness from COVID, I made the decision not to get the vax when offered. In hindsight, that was one of the best decisions I could have ever made. I have not had COVID since, so the naturally obtained immunity has protected me. The risk/benefit analysis was strongly in favour of avoiding the vax.

On the other hand if I was over 80 and in poor health, I would have taken the chance and had the vaccination. But the questions you raised are all valid and I really hope. but don't expect them to be answered by the people who made these decisions that had such an impact on everyone's lives.

Getting back to the original points of this thread, those responsible for the measures are aand should be held accountable for the consequences of their actions as they become clear for all to see.

Look the vaccines were a game changer here. The investment and time that went into them were unprecedented. They work but not not as good as we like or some company's claimed. They work against serious illness and death otherwise we would still be under restrictions no doubt.

Again we are entitled to question the response here overall as it definitely turned political both from government and NPHET and we were not alone either I think.

In time when saner heads prevail and we can calmly debate it but for now I suspect its still too soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

I agree with you that most us want to move on and have little interest in a review but our government should be very interested in such a thing. We experienced a 1 in 100 year pandemic, the like not seen since the Spanish Flu pandemic post WW1. It is incumbent on us to review the nation's response in an objective manner. The purpose isn't to assign blame or decide who was right and wrong but to learn how future pandemics could be managed better. Likely that there would be no political appetite for this though, would involve too much admitting that certain pandemic responses could have been managed in better ways. Which is a pity.

Personally, under the circumstances, the Irish goverment and people managed the pandemic quite well. We erred on the side of caution, at times too far. Overall the impact was limited from a death perspective. However, there may be more latent impacts in the fullness of time. I agree with some posters on here that the messaging at times bordered on irrational. That has had a lasting effect on some, I know one member of my own family who before COVID paid little heed to contracting infectious diseases who now still speaks about 'the numbers going up' and is wary of certain indoor events in the fear that they will catch COVID, having yet still to contract it. The psychological impact could be profound and take years to assess.

Advertisement