Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempting to destroy famous paintings because fossil fuels

Options
  • 23-10-2022 11:56pm

Last week it was tomato soup thrown at Van Gogh's Sunflowers this week mashed potato at Claude Monet’s Les Meules..

But why tho? I found this tweet of theirs absolutely laughable “If it takes a painting - with #MashedPotatoes or #TomatoSoup thrown at it - to make society remember that the fossil fuel course is killing us all: Then we’ll give you #MashedPotatoes on a painting!”, but all you’ve done is made me think you’re stupid.

But the other thing that’s more confusing to me, they’re not really destroying anything anyway. They didn’t get soup on Sunflowers or Le Meules, at worst they’ve damaged the frames, but the painting is behind glass.

Is this just some mad attention seeking or are they that dumb, they reckon effectively pointless attempts to vandalise very old paintings, somehow raises awareness of climate change and the effects of fossil fuels?

I think all they did was remind us some folks are just plain old stupid. Also they glue their hands to the wall? Jaysus.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Someone should tell them wasting food is bad for C02 emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What do attention seekers do when people show no interest in them or starve them of attention ?

they do something outlandish and or outrageous to court attention.

never mind that it might destroy something people love and enjoy… they and their cause get 5 minutes.

criminal justice system should jail them… but it won’t.

People looking at that don’t think.. “ fûck, the climate! “They think.. “ pair of thuggish fûckwits “

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

delete

Err I though all paintings were behind glass and filled with some none reactive gas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Maybe it's because of the cost of living but I find in the last few months since these guys popped up. I find less and less people are caring about the environment again. People don't really care about them. I do think somebody will loose the rag tough and mow one of the ones stuck to a road in London tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

they should put their money where their mouth is, and do something like this...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭quokula

They're not trying to destroy famous paintings - as you pointed out yourself they're protected behind glass so no damage is done. They're trying to get publicity, which has clearly worked to some extent as you're talking about it.

It's the same thing as when Fathers 4 Justice used to pull off memorable publicity stunts like climbing Buckingham Palace dressed as Batman. Neither Batman or Buckingham Palace had anything to do with the issue they were protesting, but it got them in the news and got people talking about it. Of course there was never a massive fossil fuel industry backed propaganda campaign against father's rights so their protests were never described as controversial in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

A child dieing on the way to hospital due to a road protest would certainly change public opinion.

But I don’t think it’s really about “caring for the environment”. It more about the speed at which you want to decarbonise society. You could just ban all fossil fuels overnight and accept the consequences on life and death and living standards as being part of some greater good. Or do it in a more transitional way.

These protestors dont really seem to be communicating an effective message.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gary550

just incase you ever wondered about the majority of these peoples Intellectual prowess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNrMmh0Yf-U

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

They did it for publicity and got a lot of publicity.

If your first reaction is "jeez, who is sitting at home and hears about this and suddenly changes their mind about climate change" then you don't understand a lot about publicity

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

These people are absolute idiots. Tbj thr majory come from wealthy inbred family's and do not hae 2 brain cells to rub together.

Climate change has been a thing in mainstream and not so mainstream media for years…. Vandalised artwork won’t do any useful purpose…

it will give the old 19-35 year-olds with no life or anything a platform. I see them as a lost generation now infantilised.

And the currency or platform of that lot or many of them is ?! A T T E N T I O N… they just love it…🙄🫣🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I have met a few of these activist types, narcissists one and all. The issue itself does not matter to them that deeply.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

Never mind paintings how about the destruction of Bamyan or Palmyra?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So all the science says if we don't stop oil everything will be pretty f**ked in the coming years. Quiet protesting doesn't seem to be changing anything, there's no one you can vote for who will implement the changes required, so the situation is pretty hopeless and maybe that's why they're resorting to these stunts. At least they're getting attention no matter how annoying you may find them.

I don't know why people always bang on about their class or wealth, most social movements are led by wealthier people if you think about it - suffragettes, RSPCA, even the likes of Daniel O'Connell and Wolfe Tone were posh af.

Obviously a man driving a van or a low paid factory worker have other things to worry about rather than the existential threat of climate change, that has always been the way.

I would have thought the boards.ie crowd would be well in favour of this movement though, I know how passionate they are about stopping climate change and total believers in the science!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Can't say that I get it.

Does anyone think that oil or oil companies are good? Most people outside the alt-right online echo chamber would agree that climate change is happening and we need to reshape our economy to adapt to it. It's here now.

I get a smell of narcissism off these people. Young, white, well spoken middle class girls probably hoping to go viral on social media or something. They could have gone to protest the offices of the Murdoch press, the Houses of Parliament or the offices of BP but they instead tried to destroy a painting.

Disgusting.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Most people outside of the alt-right and boards.ie do agree that climate change is happening and we need to reshape our economy, but it's not happening. Absolutely nothing is happening.

I don't know why people give out about them being young or what colour they are, an 80 year old woman was arrested protesting with Just Stop Oil the other day too though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Anyone i know are sick of hearing about the environment. People's attention span was tested to the absolute limit with the covid stuff and the constant fearmongering and the end is nigh climate warriors have been pushing their stuff for years now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

weird use of the phrase 'attempting to destroy' when - yet again - the painting is protected by glass, and the protestors specifically do this to glass protected paintings.

more power to them. the pearl clutching is funny.

Surely even you can see that the environment is being destroyed now at a rate that can't end well?

How anyone thinks society can carry on as is is just beyond me, the way we consume is insanity. And yes I know I'm part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Where have you gotten this consensus from? Polling? I guarantee you that most Irish people spend little time thinking about climate change. As you've all but said yourself in a previous post, it's a very middle class ideology, and a very particular type of middle class too. Other worries are far greater to the vast majority of society.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Oh i can see it alright, im just honest enough to admit that i don't care enough about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

They're prats. They have proved this.

Because of this I don't care what they have to say about anything.

well pretty much every climate scientist agrees we're in deep trouble. Climate change is one thing but the constant requirement for economies to grow and for us to consume more and more can only lead to an unlivable planet eventually. People don't think about it of course that's probably why some groups are trying to bring more attention to the issue.

boards.ie is an echo chamber of men who don't believe in climate change, so it's not a good litmus test in here.

I don't know what class has to do with anything, you're hardly going to get people struggling to feed their families worrying about these kind of intangible problems are you? Again, most social movements came about because of more well off people.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

They seem to be the Western equivalent of the Taliban, fanatics when seeing art that challenges their world view which had existed long before them and in the normal course of affairs will exist long after, seek to destroy and degrade.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

again, they did not attempt to destroy the painting. they deliberately choose paintings which will suffer no harm.

but don't let that get in the way of your narrative.

Advertisement