Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I find this sentence has no possible justification

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Certainly a shocking incident and I can absolutely understand your concern.

But, who are you going to complain to?. A genuine question as I find that even when there are specific agencies that you can report concerns/complaints to, it is rare that you ever get a satisfactory response. I speak from a history of contacting various regulator agencies with several issues, over the years.

I am not sure where a member of the public could go to raise a concern over a sentence handed down. I don't think even politicians can do that.

Anyone who posts in this thread needs to watch the video first. Taxi driver should absolutely be banned from driving.

"His father died a few months after the incident." Who cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Just watched it. Absolutely deserves to be off the road. Nothing accidental about it. Intimidating, bullying, menacing.

And Boards.ie's favourite judge was doing the sentencing. Martin Nolan! Again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

There are processes and sentences are deemed too lenient or too harsh. Have you never heard of sentences being changed. Public and political pressure do instigate this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭mikethecop

The DPP can appeal a sentence if its too lenient. This may be lead by the victim in a case but Im not sure if some random fella on the internet gets a say though.

I agree though this should have his PSV license removed immediately at the very least and a general driving ban for a few years

Martin Nolan is a disgraceful judge and the direct cause of many victims suffering.

By all means contact your TD or make it an issue next time they come calling looking for votes. Every little helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,237 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Go way ouha that.....Reynolds was going through some difficulties at the time.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

If you drive for a taxi for a living, there should be no second chances for any road convictions "He has two minor convictions for road traffic offences"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Tht is not a reason or excuse to drive like that! The cyclist could have been killed or injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,237 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 83,381 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I keep laughing at the thread title NGL

That's 18 months more then the guy who ran over my bike - while I was on it - pulling into a garage in Ennis in circa 2003. Had to jump off as the front wheel was being swallowed. Punter had the gall to pretend he had no idea his driver side wheel well had just turned into a trash compactor, then he offered me a 20 to resolve the issue (lol) Sure me being the foreigner I went to the Gards and IDK what came of the guy but clearly not a prosecution (not that I pursued one, just the money to replace the front of the bike); I did get an apology letter in the mail, and the rest of the cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

Crazy stuff. Should have received a ban. 2,000 contribution is an insult. Cyclist has to take a civil case through his insurance company. The insurance company wont even fight it and will make a significant pay out. Driver wont be driving for a living for too long when he gets his insurance renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

it says he was having difficulties but the usually lock em up brigade is out instead sure throw away the keys over one moment of madness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

You'd swear he reversed over the guy for christ sake. Court has decided move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

In that moment of madness, they could have killed or caused life altering injuries to the cyclist. Do that with a weapon or fist, and it would be prosecuted as common assault. Using a car as a weapon is assault/no different.

Prison time should be on the cards. To not even get a ban is way too lienent, and shocking that a judge thinks its OK not to impose one.

His insurance wont have as much pity on his circumstances. They will price for the risk he poses to other road users. They and other insurance companies would probably be happier if a ban was handed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

He doesn't deserve prison, and did get a suspended sentence, but no way in the world should he still be on the road. Mitigating circumstances being he has to care for his mother since his father passed. I'm sure there's plenty of jobs not too far away with public transport links. Coolock isn't the countryside. Of course it's Nolan. Is there anything that can be done to bring a complaint against his ability? Not that I'd personally bother, but there could be someone on here would might me. It seems like the best job in Ireland; untouchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Judge Martin Nolan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I remember this case around the same time, same sentence (not Judge Nolan as far as I know, but the woman was named Nolan) https://www.irishtimes.com/news/six-year-sentence-over-car-crush-death-1.480217

• Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That man should not be driving on the roads if he can not control his road rage. That was just stupid and dangerous and he deserved a prison sentence for that.

Far too soft a sentence.

He could have caused serious life changing injures, seriously injured or even killed him that poor cyclist.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,481 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

deserves prison 100%. 3 months you’d serve ? 6 weeks ?

anybody who deliberately drives a car ‘on purpose’ that empty weighs about 1.6 tonnes, into a cyclist who is doing no more then cycling should have their PSV licence revoked, their driving licence revoked and a few months in the joy.

should the cyclist have been in the bus lane ? I’m not sure the rules there I’m not a cyclist but say no…. There is fûck all traffic in that clip, indicate, pull out, overtake and return to the lane. Easy, nobody gets hurt and nobody goes to court….

family circumstances should not absolve you

• Advertisement

And another incomprehensible 16 month sentence for the sexual assault of a 12 yo in her bedroom, by a 30 yo man.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Seems a new complaints procedure is available to members of the public since the 22nd of October. It's quite specific, but I think someone with enough legal knowhow could lodge an "admissible" complaint against a judge if they wanted.

Had a quick browse of the complaints procedure, has time limits, but you can bring a complaint under a number of headings. Would be useful if they actually advertised this. If a pattern of complaints emerges it may warrant action.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

That whole situation and setup seems utterly bizarre, not just the sentence.

I think the worst thing is that the girl had to try to reach the parent by text message.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭juno10353

and Martin Nolan strikes again. Can nothing be done about the sentencing handed down by this man!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Except that in this particular instance, the Judge wasn’t Martin Nolan. He was the Judge in a previous case relating to this individual when he handed down a suspended sentence on conviction. Different Judge this time handed down a suspended sentence on conviction -

Imposing sentence today Judge Melanie Greally said if this charge had been dealt with at the same time as the sexual assault count, it would have resulted in a custodial sentence.

However Judge Greally said the court had to consider the length of time since the material was seized and if there would be “undue harshness in imposing a custodial sentence” at this point.

She said the steps taken by Gregan to rehabilitate himself, the lack of subsequent negative Garda attention and the time lapsed since this offence was detected “swing the balance against the immediate imposition of a custodial sentence”.

Judge Greally handed Gregan an 18-month prison sentence, which she suspended for two years on strict conditions, including that he place himself under the supervision of the Probation Service.

Gardaí were investigating the allegation of sexual assault when they searched Gregan’s Rathmines home and found the child abuse material.

At an earlier sentence hearing, Gerardine Small SC, defending, said her client was in a dysfunctional relationship at the time and was suffering from depression.

Small said her client had been attending counselling since the incident and had been placed on the sex offenders register.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭juno10353

Thank you. Apologies, I'm afraid I saw headline, thought Martin Nolan, saw Martin Nolans name in report, and got too angry to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

That’s shocking stuff, 100% intentional.

looked like attempted murder to me

fucking disgraceful judge

• Registered Users Posts: 7,532 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Our lad Murt Nolan at it again.

Fucking parasite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

In fairness, that guy was the least involved of the group.

Would suggest the other members are looking at circa 10 years

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Advertisement