Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Standard trolley Jack.

Now I wouldn’t keep this in the car in fairness but you don’t need it to plug a nail/screw/bolt on the road.

Handy for at home taking wheels off or installing mud flaps etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Grab a piece of wood, put in front of flat tyre, drive slowly onto wood.

Now car is likely high enough for any jack to fit in.

I had to do this alot with bmw 3 series back in the day, previous owner had it lowered and a kit added.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

This is how I Jack my 3 Series when I do oil changes….. drive the front 2 wheels onto a bit of old floorboard which lifts it just enough to get the Jack underneath…..

also, I’ve plugged a hole in a front tyre of my Model 3 and a rear wheel of another Boardsie’s Model 3 and both times didn’t need a Jack and just plugged it with the wheels in situ.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Worked

Thanks for helpful advice- when you say 'plug' do you mean using something like tyreweld(Holt's)?

No, the same plug kit AA, Atlas, Tyreland all use is available on Amazon for €10.

I think someone actually posted a link in response to you if you look back.

• Advertisement

Tyreweld generally doesn't work in acoustic tyres because of the foam ring inside them. It could indeed work and find the hole and gunk it up to seal it, but I'd say 9 times out of 10 it won't work. and a plug kit is your only option.

Found it thanks. Will order and will have to chance tyreweld for tomorrow - can't get at location of nail in tyre without removing (have come fullcircle!)

And thanks for all tech advice.

GADLANE Tubeless Tyre Puncture Repair Kit Flat Tyre Tools 7pc Tubeless for Emergency Auto Car Motorcycle Truck ATV Jeep Tractor 20 String Repair Plugs https://amzn.eu/d/4pT9f5k

Pump it up to desired pressure.

mix water and washing up liquid in a jug and pour around the tyre. Where you see bubbles will be the leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

I'll share my similar experience maybe would be useful to you. On a Saturday morning I found a flat tyre on my Model3. Have the compressor inflated and drove around the block to see how it maintains the pressure. When happy that it drops about .1 bar in 10 minutes I started looking for a tyre places. Found out some keep bankers hours some don't even open on Saturday. Anyway got to the one in Stillorgan village. "We don't do Teslas" was the greeting. Asked why and they said we don't have the pucks. Said I have them then the man comes to have a look. "It can't be fixed too close to the wall. You need new rubber. We need to order it and you'll have it by Wednesday". Left and went to Sandyford Tyres where I literally had to queue with about 5 cars in front of me. They had the pucks but the answer was similar you need new tyre, no stock. Checked in the app and booked with Tesla tyre replacement Monday at 09:00. Arrived there and after 30 minutes waiting found out there is a bell to ring. When finally someone comes they said we can't find your booking in the system. When I check the app the appointment appears cancelled. It seems someone from Tesla cancelled it because they don't have the tyres in stock and I didn't get the text message because of bad format of the international prefix. They looked at it: can't be fixed can order a pair for me at a cost of 700 and probably I'll have them by Wednesday. In a desperate move I went to the tyre service beside Tesla. Ace tyre I think it is called. The guy said give me 5mins. I was skeptic though how come 3 different guys told me it can't be done and the fourth can solve it in 5 minutes. So he shown me that the nail didn't actually touched the wall and there still good mms to the edge. 6 months since and that tyre didn't loose one bit of pressure. Quite disappointing experience from Tesla not to have stock for such an item, glad they didn't as the other guy fixed it on the spot for less than 0.5% of their estimate

That is very helpful to know thanks! Have appt through the tesla call out service- via Austria- for sandyford in am but learning from your experience, will try to confirm with them that they have tyre in stock before leaving. Will also maybe call to nextdoor - is that Ace tyres ? - before tesla! AA man said nail was too close to tyre edge but will recheck that. Only need one tyre as only 7 wks on them but that was v expensive quote from tesla .. will look up advice on how close to edge tyre plug will work. 👍

• Advertisement

Can you take a picture of the nail in the tyre?

On inner side of passenger rear tyre

I’d plug that.

I worked in a tyre center for years and that wouldnt cause me any concerns to plug. Its likely a nail/screw with a massive head on it so the hole in the tyre is actually quite small. If the hole is big enough to put your finger into thats another story.

Plugged in 6 mins at the side of the road that would be.

Genuine Question, why would anyone go to a moan dealer for this? If it was a VW, Audi or BMW would you be in with Joe Duffy to fix a puncture?

Tesla are nothing special here, seriously.

There’s a perception out there that Tesla’s are like Apple Mac’s/iPhones and only Apple techs can properly work on them and fix them…. (See the post in the fb group yesterday where someone was furious that their new €50k car didn’t come with a usb hub as standard…..)

a lot of stuff in the car is Tesla specific yes, but there’s a lot more in the car that’s just as regular as any other cars out there… (brakes/tyres/suspension etc…)

I said it before and will say it again, any tyre place that says they “don’t do Tesla’s” should be avoided at all costs forever and until the end of time because they are simply put, idiots.

And also, looking at that, that’s been in there for quite some time too….. I’d say at least 4,000-5,000km.

when it went it it would have had a hex head on it, but it’s been worn down to a smooth spherical surface…

I drove for about 15,000km with a nail in my tire… pressure would only drop to 37psi and hold there…. And I was convinced it was the valve…. Had it out in Sandyford for other bits and asked them to have a look and lo and behold they showed me the nail and offered to replace the tyre for me…. I declined, drove home and plugged it myself and drove on it for another 30,000km.

Very helpful information ! so I won't need sandyford if I can find tyre place which 'does' teslas.. this could be last question- does anyone know of or has used a tesla tyre outfit this side of shannon? Or Midlands.. (one that had the tesla jack pads) many thanks to all for responses👏

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

In my case I didn't consider going to Tesla but after 2 tyre centers saying needs replacement and it will take 3 working days to get the replacement I looked in the app and book tyre replacement for Monday with the expectation that once the slot is available the item is in stock so I don't have to ring all motor factors around to check availability for a quite particular tyre. Also didn't mention I had to reinflate every 10 minutes or so which limited my drive to local roads. I don't expect them to fix the tyre but I do expect them to have replacement tyres for the only model they sell. Don't tell me Joe doesn't have Not a good idea but in a pinch you change a tyre with them.

Don’t get hung up on the Jack pads.

The blocks they put on the ranks are the same thing.

you just need someone with a decent brain and intelligence to Jack the car using the specific Jack points under the car and you be fine.

Tyreland have plugged 3 Tesla wheels for me before I bought the kit.

• Advertisement

Many thanks again to all. Going on your advice and experience not going to chance sandyford. Will check in am with local garages but have also ordered the jacks from amazon -delivery tue🤞(plus plug kit) so plan is prob take off wheel myself and get it plugged. Pretty steep learning curve but will get there! Will update

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

5,000kms done. M3RWD Sept 22 delivery.

Battery degradation is at 2.2% so far.

Normal routine is to drop charge to between 20-30% and charge to 100% again (usually every 2nd day).

Any thoughts on my charging routine? Is it good or is it bad or is it indifferent!

Mike

I wouldn’t be taking the wheel off to plug that hole…. but if you do take it off, remember that they are torqued up higher than standard (and oddly that is a Tesla specific thing)…. They need to be torqued up to 175Nm

No need to take it off, move the car until you can see the nail head clearly, like when you took the picture, lie down on the ground and work away.

Plenty of youtube videos on how to plug at tyre, will take you a few mins the first time, its very quick after that.

Chances are, once you have all the kit that you wont need it that often :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

2.2% degradation does not seem right after a month, you should be zero

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

So will def try to plug now! Would be much happier not taking wheel off- Location of nail bit awkward but will have jack, jack pads and plug kit to work with😉 plus excellent advice - for now and next occasion. Might be few days before repaired but fortunately can manage without. Will update and thanks all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

How are you measuring that? If you are looking at the displayed range we will all see degradation at this time of the year as temps drop!!

Degradation that high would suggest you are exclusively DC charging (or the car has a defect), and even if you were id be still surprised to see it that high.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

I am reading the 2.2% degradation from the Tessie app - Perhaps this is not accurate?

Just 1 DC charging sessions since I got the car (the day I collected in Dublin). AC charging at home after that.

Mike

Check it again next week. It will most likely be a different figure. They are not accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Where does it tell you the battery degradation in the Tesla application?

Advertisement