Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Kona 64kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭10-10-20

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Breckle

Thank you - but that is still the US/Canadian version.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Breckle

Picked car up today - here it is for anyone else wondering :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Well wear!

What's with a Hyundai main dealer wanting to install Maxtrek budget tyres on the Kona EV?

Maxtrek also trade under the super shytty sounding "Sonny Tyre" name. Any of the spec details which I can find for Maxtrek all show a rating of E for fuel economy and wet-grip... on an EV?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Mine came with Kapsen tyres on the front. They had obviously been replaced as there are Nexen on the back. The Kapsen are shite, especially with that much torque going through the front wheels

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Pick this up on Saturday and we have to say we're thrilled with it!

Drove our Ioniq on one last spin from Waterford-Westport on friday, which required 2 stops to change!

The Kona, with a fully charged battery got us home, 312kms, with 92kms remaining. Averaged 15.4kw/100kms for the journey.

Nothing to be sniffed at.

That's good going. So you were looking at getting the whole advertised 400km range out of the battery! You must have kept the speed low or off the motorways for most of it?

Surprisingly, all the motorway driving was at the speedlimits of 100 or 120.

Actually quite shocked at the range.

• Advertisement

Now that's very good.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Seen that on Facebook.

Nice colour.

How does it compare to the Ioniq in terms of driving. Is the ride firmer for example

It's nice to have the higher vantage point on the road from the added height of the Kona, it's a little bit of a firmer drive, but i like it!

The Kona is MUCH MUCH faster than the Ioniq was, and i thought the Ioniq was quick but this thing is like a little bat out of hell, so much more power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭Miscreant

An almost 70 bhp jump in power will do that for sure. 🙂

It's the torque i can't get over, it's incredible, almost 400nm :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭innrain

This weekend we had our first long drive since the battery replacement. Another premier was that we drove Kona alongside the Model3 LR. We were a big group and decided against renting a 7 seater, especially that we had some petrol-heads not believing us we can manage driving without headaches.

On the first leg South Dublin - East Waterford on the M11 route, (with some detours for some beaches along the motorway), Kona started at 100% and arrived with 56% SoC, while Tesla started with 70% and ended up with 29% SoC. Coming back both cars started @100% SoC from east Waterford, took the passage east ferry to Hook lighthouse then pit stopped at Ionity Gorey which is kinda midway. Kona arrived at the pitstop with 76% SoC while Tesla with 71% SoC. Pretty impressive for the little car. We kinda floor it as we were rushing to the airport so not really a leisure drive. Currently the GOM predicts 510 km to full. 3+ years old car never fails to amaze. It may be that the SoC in the Kona is not linear but considering the battery is 11 kWh smaller than in the Tesla I'm surprised to see it.

One of the petrol-heads placed an order for an EV6 as result of an EV weekend drive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Kona is the best range EV out there when you look at pricing, we've no issue with our battery pack so in no rush to replace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭zg3409

Dealers put on the cheapest tyres they can find and charge the most they can. They often don't do it in house but get a local tyre place to do it for them and charge a mark up. Some dealers in the past put tyres that should not be sold in the EU on to cars that then failed the NCT as tyres were not EU legal. Wait until you hear what they replace the engine oil with...

For anybody who had their main battery replaced in the Kona, did the dealer stamp the book with the mileage recorded, or provide an indication that the job was officially complete? We got no stamp and no receipt. I'd have expected something solid.

Not at first but I asked for something and they gave me a letter. A friend of mine who has the same car got replacement a week later at the same garage and didn't get the letter even when asked for. They said it is in the system. I'd say if you want to sell and want proof ring Hyundai IE and ask for a confirmation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

No, I didn't - but I wasn't worried at all to be honest.

I have several official Hyundai Ireland Letters identifying my car for the battery recall over an 18 month period.

I have emails with the Hyundai garage indicating when my scheduled appointment was for the battery replacement.

I took screenshots before & after the battery replacement of all display information in the car & on the infotainment system - mileages, software versions etc..

I have dashcam video footage of the drive to the garage & going into the garage on the day the battery was replaced & then the drive out of the garage & home again 2 days later when the battery had been replaced.

I took a photo of the Hyundai jobsheet that they asked me to sign on the day the battery was replaced.

I have an audio recording of a follow up call from the garage asking me if everything was fine & if I was happy with how the process went - which I was 100%. It went total smoothly & the new battery has been excellent so far, nothing negative to say about it or the process.

If I ever sell the car, I'll have all this as evidence that the battery was actually replaced, if a buyer was concerned.

Its a beast of a car & I love it to bits. Best car I've ever owned (Just wish the boot was a little bit bigger but it works for me for 90% of my time, so I'm being picky :-))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Anyone know what the current waiting list is like for one of atm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭Alkers

We are seriously considering one of these.

For the second hand versions of these (2019) what is the story with the battery replacements?

Are they likely to be all done by now or if I buy one which hasn't had it done, is this a big issue?

Can it be done at a dealer of choice?

How long does it take?

I assume these can't tow at all?

Any decent bike racks for them?

Ours is not done, we’re in no rush as current pack has zero issues, you nominate a dealer of your choice to do the replacement, AFAIK no towing possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

UPDATE

The new 64KwH Kona is being collected tomorrow afternoon.

As chief Son in Law I've been tasked with setting it up and explaining all the settings and features which I haven't a clue about yet. I'll figure most of it out when I sit in but is there anything a current owner would recommend I do or setup when the car arrives tomorrow?

MIL is very excited to get the car!

Congrats to her/them!

Demonstrate timed charging (night-rate) and also the button to force-charging.

Cruise-control.

Turn off Winter Mode (not needed in Ireland, unless I'm wrong about the temperatures - https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/kona-ev-winter-mode-defined-and-condensed.7977/)

Demo DC charging (high speed charging) using a tethered cable at an actual DC charger.

Demo AC charging using the supplied AC cable at home.

Demo AC charging on the granny-lead (and explain why it's called a granny-lead) at home.

Demo how to vacate a DC charging spot and avoid the penalty for excess of 45mins. ;)

Hmmmm, ok I need a little guidance.

We've plugged the car in to charge at home on an Ohme Charger. Battery was at 62% when we started but uts giving a charge time of over 10 hours to get to 100%.

Is that right? I thought it would have been quicker. It's charging at 7.5KwH

What does it say on the dash in terms of power? 23kW in this example below.

There is a setting for lower charge power in the battery config, can you find that?

No I've not been able to find it. Is that on the dash or the app?

The charging speed will be displayed on the dash behind the wheel - Updated the last post to show where. Tell us what that is showing first.

The charging speed is on the main middle screen and it's under the section Charge Management and then Charging Current.

Options are...

You should be on Maximum.

• Advertisement

I misread your initial message: "It's charging at 7.5KwH" That's the current speed, obviously. I read that as the charger capability.

That would imply that it's getting 32A and that a charge from 0% to 100% would take about 8.5 hrs, so 62% to 100% would take about 3hours. Just bear in mind that the charging slows for the last few % (don't know exactly), but you should just leave it charge up and check again in about 3 hours.

It's saying 7.5kw on the dash now charge at 79%

I can't find charge management. Has the software changed?

Ah, all sorted. I think the Ohme figures and car figures are different fir some reason. The car is charging fibe and will be at 100% in 2 hours

The only differences between a charger and the car should be the losses in converting the power from AC to DC. I'd guess that these are between 10% and 15% due to heat.

So the charger may report that difference which the car won't tell you about.

Probably us too, first time charging it before we leave the MIL with it so just wanted to have it setup to work easily. Thanks for the help

Anyone know if the 191 Kona's have front collision assist? Don't want to test it but can't find it online

Ours doesn't. Only reverse. It does have front facing camera as some came with traffic signs recognition but FCW is disabled

Ah right. I knew it didn't have the front parking sensors but I thought the FCA was a separate system to emergency brake the car if it thinks it's going to be in a collision?

• Advertisement

No, no adaptive cruise control either unless a UK import

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Hi all,

I'm considering my first EV and I've very interested in the Kona 64KwH due to it's range.

Just a few questions:

(1) For around the 40K mark should I be looking at something else ?

(2) How much does it cost to charge it ? So If I was near empty and charged it to full for example, and lets say I got 400KM out of that charge - around what sort of cost am I looking at (ballpark)?

Thanks !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭KCross

(2) How much does it cost to charge it ? So If I was near empty and charged it to full for example, and lets say I got 400KM out of that charge - around what sort of cost am I looking at (ballpark)?

The comparison you want is the fuel cost per 100km rather than the cost to fully charge the car.

i.e. Your diesel might do 6l/100km so you can work out the cost based on diesel pump prices.

For an EV its kWh/100km. Every car and driver will be different so a conservative ballpark figure is to use 20kWh/100km and then it depends on what you pay for your electricity to calculate the cost for the 100km.

I currently pay ~10c/kWh using night rate electricity so that would come out at €2/100km.

If you do alot of motorway driving it might cost a bit more. If you are mainly doing short runs around town then it will likely be less.... so its a good ballpark figure.

So, we love our Kona so much, we're just about to buy a second one and become a 2 EV family! :)

The only thing i don't like about the Kona are the stupid halogen lamps.

Has anyone upgraded theirs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭zg3409

Beware the back seats and boot is very small. If buying new you may want to consider other cars in same size and price bracket. Things like Zoe but Zoe is maybe smaller. Things from mg like mg4 or mg zs. EV etc.

Delivery times from small dealers can be long and misleading.

Yes I got the dipped headlights changed last time the car was in my local garage getting tyres changed. Very happy with them, picked them up from Aliexpress for about €40. Could have probably changed them myself but would have needed to have them aligned anyway so got it done in the garage.

• Advertisement

What did you change them to? are the HID or Xenon bulbs?

Thank you, they look great!

Do you think it would be worth changing the high beams also?

Yeah ultimately I'd like to swap out all the halogen bulbs, so high beams + indicators etc. Will probably do it next service.

Picked up our second Kona last night, delighted with it! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement