Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the government right to put no limit on the amount of Ukrainian refugees in Ireland? Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

"They bought tickets, they arrived in Ireland. So it would be better to announce the lack of accommodation in advance and Ukrainians would decide to go to another country,"

I have no idea what a "common Irishman or woman" is. 😕

But what exact problem have you got with what the Ambassador said?

Be specific please.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

If the State attempted to return any individual to a warzone, that person could instead apply for international protection and they would most certainly win.

So instead of having temporary permission to stay here, they would then have a permanent one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The criteria for Ukrainian males of serviceable age to leave Ukraine have been well covered here and in the media. Go do your research. At the very start of this invasion in February, Ukraine banned all males aged from 18-60 from leaving their state without permission. Is that not clear?

What the Ukrainian ambassador said and the tone of her recent speech has also been well covered here and in the general media. Go read.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hustlenbustle

The influx is happening because weve been over generous. It's time the government put a stop to this.

Stop giving the dole. A stipend of some sort but full dole is ridiculous. I fought hard as a citizen to get it years ago and that its handed over just like that is crazy. If they wont stop it and I can see our government is prob too weak to do so then take back at source a fine big chunk for meals.

If a family or individual is asked to move on from a hotel to elsewhere there should be no such thing as no.

Better checks on entry are needed _ send back those who dont belong.

Stop hotel accomodation full stop. Tents or whatever can be used. The numbers coming are OTT as they here how generous we re being let them hear about tents.

Our country is small and we cannot afford to continue like this. Something must be done fast.

I actually am for helping Ukrainian s _ they seem like nice people_but not when we re not coping and I feel our over generous system is being abused.

Finally I too am disgusted by the comments of the Ukrainian ambassador after all weve done talk about a lack of gratitude

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

As well - the Ukraine ambassador - totally tone deaf to the wider societal issues in this country.

really ungrateful. It’s beyond belief.

She needs to resign and leave Ireland for the good of her country at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

300 arrivals a day.

200 Ukrainians and 100 people from other countries.

Marvellous.

Is that really the figure??

totally unrealistic and unsustainable

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

If what you say here is true (and I have no reason to doubt you), and we can't cap the numbers from UKR, could we do the following:

make sure our benefits/accomm are no more generous than BE/DE/FR/NL, so as to prevent excessive benefits being a "pull-factor"?

I have another, maybe stupid question. Do UKR need a passport to travel here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I think the issue is that we have to give them access to the same things we give to the "natives".

So if we decide that 208 Euro per week is what is needed for locals for example, we can't really try to give the Ukrainians only 100 Euro. I presume we could reduce it all to 100 Euro if that was the level for everyone.

I doubt they'd need a passport. Probably need some sort of ID. I suspect Ukraine had some sort of internal national IDs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Only a matter of time before we see dozens and dozens of tents along the Quays and main streets of Dublin and Cork.

I doubt it will be tents scattered across cities.

Maybe organised facilities in army barracks that type thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Roderick, the Greens and Govt will keep packing them in to the cattle car, lots of friends to look after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Sinn Fein TD on Ocean FM calling for government to ask(force) holiday home owners to open their properties to house more refugees.

I don't have one, but if I did I would be telling them where to stick their refugees. Imagine suggesting private individuals should get involved with housing policy. Absurd.

The tide is turning on Ukrainian refugees now, as Irish hospitality has been well and truly abused. Ukrainian males arriving now, what a surprise..!! The truth is coming out about Putin's motive for invading Ukraine. He's not a nostalgic old so and so longing for the days of the Soviet Union. Ukraine has 10% of the world's Iron reserves with high deposits of other rare earth metals such as Lithium & Graphite. Funny how Elon Musk is so interested all of a sudden.

That situation is not changing any time soon so don't expect Putin to ease up. Europe is being had once again with the continuation of mass movement of population. US is content to keep the military industry ticking over nicely from a distance.

Our open door policy will finish us if we don't rid ourselves of this plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

No need for that now. I see you have posted a number of questions on Boards over the years, many of which could have been answered by doing a quick google search, but people who replied were very helpful and not offensive.

If the government had just said from the start that they will accept refugees from Ukraine as long as there is accomodation available then we wouldnt be in this situation.

The problem for us is that the government and some in the public went a bit berserk in their support for Ukraine in February and didn't fully see through the consequences of that support.

Some people, many on boards, even tried to portray people questioning our strategy as somehow being Pro Putin. Warped logic that seems to have eased off now that they see the sheer disaster in accommodation that is happening right now.

The government now needs to find a way to reverse on that support. The do gooders too need to climb down.

What you need to get your head around is the simple fact that we are obliged to take them under under the EU Directive (which is about 20 years old or something). So the broad choices are:

A) Implement the EU Directive as we signed up to

B) Irexit

C) Try somehow to get the EU to change or repeal said Directive. (Won't happen and would take time anyway)

There is not a shady cabal of people with discretionary power who decided "ah shure we don't have to accept them but let's bring all of them in and ignore the self-appointed experts on boards.ie". There are no do-gooders. Only people who understand even the basics. Which a lot of ye on here apparently don't. It would take you a lot less to read said basics than it would to write even one single ranting conspiracy post

If you thought it was going to be short term like 6 months or less then I could see people voluntarily giving up their holiday home for a few months but there is no end in sight to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,538 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

On my commute this morning, passed a load outside a local hotel, they had just been dropped off.

Noticeable how many men were among them, as we have plenty of refugees living locally since they first started to arrive, but there was never any men.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

self-appointed experts on boards.ie"

It's pretty amazing that you'd say this mockingly, when those people have ended up being completly right. If anything it's staggering that there's people out there who thought that it could go any other way.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

As you say people warned of this months ago and got called all sorts of vile crap on here. Will be interesting to see the response when some of the holiday homes owned by said mostly well off do gooders start filling up with Ukrainians in a few weeks time.

Our open door policy will finish us if we don't rid ourselves of this plague

Wow, you equate people fleeing war with a plague.

Aren't you lovely. 😕

The state has already asked those intending to come here to consider going somewhere else.

So it's rubbish about the EU directive.

Just whinging and moaning about something you don't like is a waste of time.

EU Directive doesn't say you can't ask people not to come. It means that you can't stop them from coming if they decide to come anyway

Is it that difficult to understand the difference between those concepts that you have to have them explained to you publicly?

It also has to be publicly said that if you know anything about the EU, countries regularly ignore or deviate from EU Directives if it suits their national interest.

Maybe stop getting your "information" from Facebuke and the likes

You've nothing to add apart from insults and nonsense rubbish about Irexit which no one is talking about.

Well if you want Ireland to stay in the EU, it has to implement EU Directives. The only way not to be subject to them would be to leave (or, technically, try to get a derogation from it, but that is not unilateral)

• Advertisement

So the thread has decided that gubbermint are going to start stealing holiday homes, and now that has become a fact.

Bizarro World.

Advertisement