Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempting to destroy famous paintings because fossil fuels

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Take carbon out of it for a second and look at the rest of the damage we have done via pollution. Which is very visible for us all to see. There is still raw sewage going into rivers, lakes and seas. We have decimated wildlife populations all across the globe. We are poisoning wildlife (and probably ourselves) with micro plastics leeching into everything.

Our economies in the west are built on us all being consumers so we do nothing about clothes being so cheap people throw them into landfill after one use despite the damage caused to make the clothing in the first place. We ban micro plastics from face scrubs but ignore the plastic leeching out from synthetic clothes, vegan leather and all the plastic crap we have that eventually ends up in the dump.

Even if your not onboard with global warming surely you can admit there is a big problem with what is happening to our planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

You might want to take a look at the state of the environment in Ireland if you think that's the case. And do you not think Ireland should be mitigating for future climate problems? Do we have a plan for global food shortages? Shortages of materials? Energy? All of this will affect your children.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

I'm going to let you in on a little secret,very few people in ireland give much of a flying fùck about climate change.

RTE have to push the agenda,all the political parties have to tow the line but its not in most peoples top 10 everyday worries.Thats much more the case since real world realities have taken a hold in the last couple of years.

and you realise climate change is going to make these "real world realities" worse? mass migration, crop failures, wars, famine...

we should really be giving a flying f*ck because it'll be all that matters sooner or later!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

This is how you deal with them...

• Advertisement

I agree with you to an extent.

Of course climate change will magnify those problems ten fold and create a myriad of other problems, some of which we don't even know about or cant comprehend.

You need to weight up the fear,our ability to influence the climate change issue and the level of sacrifice we are currently willing to make.

If it was a case of we can make a massive difference in Ireland and save the planet if we did X then I and most right minded people would do X.However we are a complete non entity in this equation.Currently my take on this would be I'm willing to do a bit but not completely change my lifestyle and standard of living just to be seen to be doing something.

I'd wager the fear mongering about climate change is going to have a much greater negative effect on anybody already born that any actual climate change in their life time.

its hard to get into a specific discussion about it, its a big topic and the fundamentals dont change- nine odd billion people, a suite of developing nations and industrial powerhouses that aren't going to do **** all in terms of change, and a perspective from many that they should still get to fingerwag and lecture people on message boards about it all.

literally nothing anyone on the street can do about major global changes across economics and societal and technological and environmental changes so why anyone would get on their high horse about it is baffling, its much more telling as a behaviour on boards than "those posh kids are morons" is as an opinions tbh.

btw those posh kids are morons. they are "right" but its the easiest, least useful, least complex, least valuable version of national school goody two shoes "right" one can be.

the world has always been on the brink of disaster and it has never needed more chicken lickens to avoid that disaster, but theyre the ones that get the coverage always it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I believe you are correct. I have had to console children because they thought the world is going to end. People need to get a grip on reality and describe the problem as it really is instead of exaggerating everything and scaring the sh1t out of children.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

What sort of a person can't even grasp what it is they have said enough to come up with an accurate thread title.

All you've done is shown that a lot of the people complaining about them don't have the IQ to take part in the conversation. Embarrassing really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Baseless MSM nonsense.

If people don't care about it, they soon will. We're already seeing the impact and every day the denier narrative gets dafter and dafter.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

All you've done is shown that a lot of the people complaining about them don't have the IQ to take part in the conversation

So these protesters, and people like yourself, are the high IQ ones at the table? 😂

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

You can look at it that way.

The way I look at it is that, the people with the demonstrably high IQ, (highly qualified and experienced scientists) believe that something needs to be done to help bring about the necessary change to protect the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

I agree with you 100% and I do my share when it comes to protecting our environment. In fact I was lambasted on another forum for suggesting that instead of replacing ICE cars with EV's, all current ICE's cars should be kept in use, recycled and repaired to the very end of their life. It took thousands of tons of the earth's finite resources to manufacture these vehicles & all the related pollution. So why throw a good roadworthy car on the scrap heap just to be replaced with a shiny new EV using up more and more of mother's earth's finite resources. There's a lot more to the pollution caused by cars that what comes out the tailpipe. It may come to pass that mining, processing and manufacturing the different minerals required for EV's batteries may be more damaging to the earth than oil. Lithium for example is just on of the many components of batteries in general including EV's and it's mining is causing untold damage.

Meanwhile back at the ranch...regarding global warming. I am on board with global warming, it's a process that started over 12,000 years ago and still continues. Without global warming the ice cap that existed over northern Europe and elsewhere would still be there. I do not claim to know what caused the many ice ages or the global warming that followed but none was caused by human activity. Planet earth is a tiny speck in a gigantic galaxy and forces / activities from that galaxy influence earth's climate and of course a minor change in the earth's 'axial tilt' to the sun can make a huge difference to life on earth as we know it today.

So the question, without a definite answer is, - will our current global warming episode that started thousands of years ago continue to slowly but surely melt the ice caps over the coming 1,000 years, no one knows - bananas could be growing in Greenland by 3022 ! Or will our ever changing planet tilt away from the sun and an ice sheet could envelope the earth as it did numerous times before. Human activity will have very little bearing on the long term survival / destruction of planet earth. No doubt thousands of other planets in our galaxy and many other galaxies are constantly evolving just like ours - We like to think that we are masters of our own and our planets destiny.... the truth is we're only passing through.

Human activity will have very little bearing

Three words for you.

Rate. Of. Change.

Human activity is unquestionably having a disproportionally negative impact compared to the cyclical changes that have occurred over the millennia.

To label me a denier based on my posts on here is part of the problem.

I'm not a climate change denier in the slightest,it's real.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Nonsense.

We've moved on from "It's not happening" to " There's no point doing anything about it". It's not as clever as you think it is.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Its funny how the narrative goes with these things.

Call these morons out for what they are which is attention seeking arseholes and you get labelled somehow bizarrely as not seeing the big picture and being somehow a climate change denier, every thread goes the same way, say anything remotely negative about the green party or climate change activists and you are automatically "climate change denier" incapable of opening your eyes and seeing the big picture!!!

And the same posters/people who dole out these labels of "deniers incapable of opening their eyes to see the big picture" are the ones with such a narrow view of these things that they seem incapable of separating the act to the cause incapable of opening their own eyes to the fact you can believe in climate change but see morons for what they are, morons!!

Its like everything and anything is acceptable once it has a "green agenda" when in fact most of these actions by said morons only serves to actually piss people off negatively away from the issue at hand.

I think you're on the wrong site, boards.ie has never had any time for climate change and we have a lot of resident experts on climate who don't think climate change is man made at all. If you want to make fun of these attention seekers you've come to the right site. The Journal is good for it too if you can comment there.

Yep thats it, no time for climate change at all here, none at all, no one, all black and white, either for it or against it, actually no one for it, not one.

But its good to see the general consensus that if you question anything at all then you are automatically on the other side.

You dont realise that you and others are every bit as bad as the deniers with no concept of there being a middle ground, dare to call out anything with a green agenda as being a bit moronic = automatic denier.

Like this thread, think these people are attention seeking morons, well you can only be a climate change denier, you couldnt possibly believe in climate change AND think these people are attention seeking morons.

I mean the thread is about people attacking paintings because they want to stop oil when in reality they dont, they want to be "ista legends" and social media champs attention whores.

They want to stop oil then go and protest the oil companies, go and protest in the major oil producing countries, they want to clean up the environment then go and protest in front of the places of power in china, india, the Us and Russia. Nah, too hard when ye can just be a tik tok leg for attacking a painting in a musem where Jeff the 60 year old security guard will give them a stern talking to!!

Moronic attention whores, nothing else.

Pretty incredible level of self confidence to write this.

Call these morons out for what they are which is attention seeking arseholes

And then to spend the rest of the post complaining how people can't see big picture.

With the crisis we are in with respect to the climate, if you are doing anything to negate the work in making the need for action stay in the news, then you really need to assess what ultimately you want for society. These posters have found a non-violent, non-destructive way to highlight the need for meaningful action and you're getting upset that people are standing up for them. Depressing really.

When Greta went on school strike and drew attention to the issue, people were apoplectic at here having the audacity to do so. And when Eamonn Ryan tries to get Fine Gael/Fianna Fail leadership to commit to achieving the targets that those parties signed Ireland up to, everyone loses the rag at him.

You're either a climate denier, or an enabler for those who have ensured we are in this mess are allowed to continue in the same manner. Which one are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The only thing causing the things you mention is Russia. The world produces enough food to feed it's population 1.5 times.

If there is any threat of famie it's because the green movement has lead to vast quantities of crops being wasted on producing biofuels. 40% of the US corn crop is devoted to making ethanol for adding to petrol.

right so unprecedented drought and heatwaves and other extreme weather events caused by climate change are not and will not affect food production at all. I hope you're right.

No, I'll hate the climate activists, as they are scum.

Its genuinely uncanny how you actually spell it out that you can only be one side in this case and dont see that as an issue? Your either a denier or an enabler which is it?

Like its actually impossible in your eyes to believe in climate change, believe we need to make massive change yet believe that these are attention seeking arseholes and nothing else!!

The fact is you dont seem to believe its possible to hold both these views at the same time which is quite frankly part of the problem!

You say it like you've some incredible insight that came about after years of observation and reflection.

All you have is an opinion same as I have, but my opinion is focused on supporting those who are trying to instigate change, yours on denigrating them.

My opinion is supported by experts working in the field of climate science, yours, supported by the fossil fuel industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

We live in, what I describe as 'disposable society' for the want of another phrase, which is putting a huge strain on the earths finite resources. The women's fashion industry for example has a lot to answer for. A new outfit for every wedding, every year brings a new style for the coming four seasons while the previous 4 seasons gear hangs in the wardrobe good as new....but so yesterday - destined for the bin. The EU, US, Canada etc. should ban products being manufactured or imported with built in obsolescence (with stiff fines attached) Garage scrappage schemes for cars should be banned, instead car owners should be encouraged not to trade up by incentives like a nominal annual road tax of €20 on cars 10 years and over, free NCT test to include strict emissions test, VAT back on repair costs etc.

For what reason? Be as specific as possible please.

They are trying to ensure the planet has some chance of being reasonably habitable for billions of people now and in the future.

Why are they scum, were you due to visit one of the art galleries to view the art as part of a life long admiration for the artist?

Or what has you so enraged at some teenagers seeking to protect the world.

Your choice of words is very telling.

Remember the massive fires in Australia a few years ago? That lead to the entirely predictable massaging of numbers fed to climate models which then - hey presto - predicted exactly what you and other climate alarmists wanted, a conclusion that Australia, was destined for a future of drought, heat and fire. Last year Australia had a record grain harvest because it rained so much and was one of the coolest years for some time. This year the grain harvest predictions are that it will at least equal last years crop, but might easily set a new all-time record because this has been one of the wettest years on record for Australia and there are no areas in drought.

So there has been a significant increase in the amount of food Australia has and will export these last two years.

• Advertisement

Well, I was at the National Gallery a few weeks back. I also visited a few in Europe. Trying to destroy paintings isn't going to help the climate. Neither is delaying people going to work or deflating tyres. It's blaming regular people instead of lobbying politicians and corporations for change none of which this lot seem to be interested in.

Advertisement