Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭caddy16

You said they didn't blood any players in the Clare Cup...they basically played their entire 2nd team. They obviously deemed they weren't good enough.....big difference to what your saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

we all make mistakes , for example i always had you down as a townie up until tonight 🤔

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

What makes you think I amnt?? Let's just say I've had a few beers today

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

OK, by blooding players I mean get players used to playing at a higher level with an eye to bring them through to the first team or maybe be an effective sub, most successful teams do this. Outside of Cian O'Dea, who is only playing for EO because he works for them, I don't think they brought anyone through. Not having subs to bring on cost them the game today in my opinion, they were 3 points up with the game nearly over and were out on their feet at the end, if the game went to extra time I think Ballyea would have won anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

If I was a townie I would be a bit more animated then you for a start

58 minutes gone and looking comfortable, no subs over 60 minutes plus you didnt know how many players ye used in the Clare cup

Not to mention your outburst of 'who's the ould lad on the phone ' you have turned this thread into an episode of Matlock...... 🤣

• Advertisement

To be honest I kind of saw yesterday's performance coming so I wasn't that surprised. Against Kilmaley they were badly exposed in the first half, when they got back into it in the second half they were never able to get fully back into it, 3 point defeat was a very flattering score line. Then against Scariff they got the job done, Scariff came back well but ultimately couldn't cope with SoD who was the difference in the end. Against CQ they were against a team who had already qualified and who's best player had a broken toe. If Kilmaley didn't have a complete melt down in their game against CQ Eire Og could have been out at the group stages and wouldn't have had anyone to blame but themselves.

In the quarters they got an IK team clearly in turmoil, if the rumours are anything to go on IK were in a heap, still knock out hurling is about winning which is what EO did. In the semi final it took the Bridge being down to 14 men for EO to win, I have no doubt that if the Bridge kept to 15 or if it wasn't their center back that got the line that it would have been a different result, but again knock out hurling is about wining.

Move onto the final, Ballyea had their homework done, first of all for the goals, they exposed the EO full back line and got their rewards. Then they nullified the main EO forwards, SoD was held scoreless, Reidy got 1 score (a goal in fairness but ultimately because the goalie dropped the ball in the sun) and Cooney got 1 point which was well wide.

Eire Og is a great club for self promotion, they'll be great at sending letters or putting up signs or doing money raising for white elephants but I'd ask anyone to drive around town and into some of the larger estates around like Cahercalla, Hermitage, Clancy Park, Cloughleigh and see why kind of promotion of the games is going on there or what flags/bunting was put up, no problem seeing the colours on O'Connell St. or on roundabouts. They are playing the under 21B this year, they will be playing intermediate league hurling next year, they were beaten by 19 points in the minor semi final but if you ask most Eire Og supporters they will say it was a good year.

Nailing my colours to the mast, I think the signing of Cian O'Dea has really badly tarnished the club, nothing wrong on paper with what done, as an isolated player he is entitled to play for whoever he wants, however if he wasn't employed by the club would he have transferred? Was the transfer part of the reason for him getting the job? Ignoring that, ultimately he is a brilliant athlete but a limited hurler, Kilmaley exposed him badly but how was it that he even started that first day? Are you telling me that there is no player better than him in the entire club or is it ok for someone to walk in the gate and start a championship game? If he played a few league games in itself would have been something but a few challenges against the likes of Blackrock isn't enough in my opinion.

Finally, I think the hurlers are being propped up by the footballers, the style of play is very much a football like setup with group tackling by physically strong big players, this will get them so far but when they are up against a team of hurlers (like Kilmaley, Bridge and Ballyea) they will struggle and will be exposed, they almost got over that this year and if they had a few subs to bring on they probably would be county champions now but management made the decision that the 15 on the field were good enough and that's all that matters, live by the sword, die by the sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭dohboy

The Banner are the real townie club anyway, Eire Og are only for the poshos and the loados living over by Flannans... In all seriousness, did the Banner go down the tubes for a good chunk of the 90s & 00s? I remember them being around years ago and they are back now a good few years, but the club seemed to basically disappear for a stint no?

There's a lot of politics involved in Ennis GAA, if you are anyway good Eire Og will take you, the old urban league didn't do a whole lot to develop The Banner, Shane Meehan is probably the first standout player to stay with The Banner. There are a lot of people involved with Eire Og who would be a lot closer to The Banner than Eire Og, off the top of my head Ronan & Jimmy Cooney both live up in Shannaway Road as does Gavin Cooney.

OK, cos being from over the Lifford way, I personally never really had an affinity for Eire Og. I didn't play much hurling or football as a kid tbf but the ground is miles away - or felt like it growing up. at least. Wouldn't say that was universal felt, but Eire Og to me always felt like the club of the Boys Nash/Flannans and not the CBS/Rice College or that side of town.

There is definitely a snobbery thing associated with Eire Og, whether right or wrong there are a lot more people who think like you that a whole part of town was ignored because it was the "wrong part of town". Most rural clubs would have had a collection route for young lads to get to training, there was none of that in town. There was also the Flannan's snobbery as well, a lot of good hurlers transferred from the Tech/Brothers to Flannan's for Harty. It used to be said that the worst player to be in Ennis was the second best in any position because you were never going to get game time or allowed play with another team, it was also said that if you were behind the coach's son for a position you might as well give up. Things are improving but Ennis has been very badly ran for GAA for a long time now, having 1 club dominate has been a detriment to the success of GAA in the town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

I'm wondering if this was why the atmosphere felt a bit flat yesterday? Just spitballing here... Eire Og might be the main club in the town but are they really the "town's club"? There was a big crowd yesterday but it never felt - where I was anyway - like the kinda feverish atmosphere I might have expected. I was rooting for them yesterday in the sense that they haven't won it in donkeys so it woulda been nice to see. But I wouldn't have been shouting for them hugely. Given I was born and rared in Ennis and a solid county fan that would go to both codes, though living outside of Clare now years, that seems a bit weird to say... In fairness there seemed to be plenty of youngters in gear and colours so maybe things have changed since my day.

Eire Og is very much a them vs. us type of club, you're either in with them or you aren't there isn't really any middle ground with them. Another thing to remember is that Eire Og is 1 of many clubs to have been formed in Ennis, it isn't the original club, in fact it was started as a junior club 70 years ago, in Lifford as a coincidence :)

A lot of bad blood within the town would have been how Eire Og failed to support the Urban League, in theory each primary school would be linked to a club and in turn this would feed to either Eire Og or The Banner (New model for GAA development in Ennis - The Clare Champion), Eire Og saw this as a risk of them losing their place as top club in the town, once the urban league failed Eire Og launched their academy which is a brilliant setup for Eire Og but not so much for GAA in the town as a whole, for example there might be 60 under 8s in Eire Og and 20 in the Banner.

Guess I'm an Ennis Dalcassians man underneath it all so... ; )

Ennis is too big for only 1 club but The Banner is making great strives to make the breakthrough but at the end of the day they are a junior club and they need to keep developing, they won their first underage final against Eire Og recently enough, having Shane Meehan stay with The Banner is a huge development and will only get stronger and stronger, it's not too long that all the best Ballyea players used to play for Clarecastle because they were the stronger club in the parish.

Yep, hopefully the Banner's upward trajectory can continue. Be great to have to senior clubs in the town going at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

So what was everyone's favourite moment from the hurling championship?

Peter Duggan blowing kisses at the Eire Og manager after the scoring a free after getting dogs abuse from the sideline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

We all want to see Ennis hurling get strong again. They have some excellent players like Shane O Donnell. However there is a malaise around sport in general in Ennis. I think there is a mindset among Ennis people that sport is down the list of priorities. Like education and work is very important but so is sport. I say that as a Clareman familiar with Ennis but went to School and uni in Limerick. Limerick is sports mad from the Upper to the working class. Ennis isn't. No AIL rugby club in Ennis, No league of Ireland tradition, no big GAA culture like Tralee with its 5 or 6 big GAA clubs. Its just not that big a deal .In saying that Ennis does produce athletes and speed and athletic ability are never an issue for teams like Eire Og. To not have won a county in 32 years is outrageous. And its not just Ennis. Shannon GAA went off a cliff about 20 years ago and it's a slog ever since

To Solve the GAA crisis in Ennis I'd pump resources into the Banner. That's the easiest option. There's actually the population for a 3rd club but that won't happen. To solve the general mindset is unlikely. Sport just isn't serious business in Ennis.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Is Eire Óg not particularly strong precisely because the catchment area is so big so? It's always struck me as a strange club in that it has never really been very strong in hurling despite having a way bigger population base than any other club. The likes of Crusheen, Clonlara, Tulla and Cratloe have all won championships since Eire Og last did with quite small playing numbers.

• Advertisement

There's an element to truth to those two last replies tbf. Imo I think it's partially down to Ennis being a county town that is surrounded by sports mad boggers and the townies pushing against that.

To tackle the Éire Óg question first, it's probably the most cliquey of all clubs you'll ever come across, you're either in the clique or your not, if you are in, it's a fantastic club, very welcoming, do anything for you, best of everything that is best of the GAA. If you're not in, you're just not in, you'll be excluded, looked down on, ignored, everything bad about the GAA really. Whether you're in or not could be down to where you live, where you went to school, what you work at.

They also are extremely protective of their status of the top club in town, they'd love to be the only club, they have actively blocked attempts to improve the GAA in Ennis in the past.

When you say we want to see Ennis hurling strong again I'd question when was it ever strong and what impact has Ennis hurling had on Clare hurling? Éire Óg has had 1 All Star and 3 titles in the last 50 years

Getting back to sport in Ennis, unfortunately the same thing undermines every club, you get a few people in who rot the club from the inside, it happens to nearly every successful club in the town, the fact that Ennis can have 2 successful golf clubs and only 1 senior GAA club tells you all you need to know. Any time anyone tries to get anything setup to fix things those in power block it almost immediately or just try to push their own agenda. An example of this would be Eire Og, they actively the urban leagues when they were setup, then they setup an academy, now they have a Games Development Officer who goes to EVERY primary school and recruits from there, the original plan was for the 4 schools to have their own GDO and "club". Now they are looking to raise €800k to rebuild their gym, combining that with the money for the stand that'll be over a million pumped into the club in the last few years that could have been far better used to develop GAA in the whole town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

in defence of Eire Og...

Hurling - They were unlucky to lose the county final by a point. They contribute O'Donnell, Reidy, A.Fitz, Cooney and so on to the county panels.

Football - County champions, and too many county players to mention. Arguably the backbone of the county team at most levels.

There aren't too many clubs nationally who are competing in senior finals in both codes simultaneously. The likes of Kilmacud and Na Fianna in Dublin, Finbarrs in Cork, Naas and maybe a few others. But it's certainly not common.

On the catchment area, it's not as simple as saying X number of people live in Ennis, therefore they would play for Eire Og so they should be better. Many people who live in Ennis play for Clarecastle, Barefield, Ballyea, the Banner or even Kilmaley and so on, often these are the closest GAA clubs to their home. Sometimes there are family connections to other clubs, given the population has grown and there are many "blow-ins".

Eire Og have a great set-up, but you cannot just build more huge GAA facilities in the middle of a town. You'd have to look at the outskirts, and lo and behold there are the aforementioned clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Treble double

Fascinating posts re gaa in Ennis. Is there much of a split between football and hurling in Eire Og. There is a good cross over between both panels, hurlers seem to have alot more support.

They have a fantastic football team at the moment. I can't see them being beaten Sunday and feel they have a great chance in the Munster Club, probably lacking a real game changing, match winning forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I wouldn't follow football, but it's the best Eire Og hurling team in years and years, and they were in the junior A final too, so things must be going well. I wouldn't be close to the scene at all now, but it seems the Banner have come on a bit as a club too, which is good to see, they used to be very low. Saw they had three lads on the Flannan's Harty panel. Very important for Clare hurling that the game is in good shape in Ennis.

Great football team, McInerney and Cooney are 2 of the best forwards in the country and would make their case for a place on any team, club football in Clare is at a fairly low ebb, there aren't many good clubs there but when a club get on a run they are hard to beat, Eire Og have the run, they went into the last group game last season with the threat of relegation hanging over them but are now odds on to do back to back titles.

The 2 senior panels have a lot of cross over, I think there are 18 players across both panels with 7 or 8 starters

I wouldn't read much into the Junior A, because of all the county players on their panels the Clare Cup was played by their Junior A team, they weren't able to field in the Junior A league on at least 1 occasion. If Eire Og had depth they would have had a sub to bring on last Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Toetohand

Clareman

In defence of Cian O Dea! He’s not going around conscripting kids into Eire Og. I’m a primary school teacher and Cian works in our school. Cian’s role is the promotion of Gaelic games. We attended a 3rd class blitz in Flannans this week with 220-240 kids. TY students from Flannans officiating- Great day. Just to give you an idea of club tops/jerseys on show Eire Og, Banner Doora Barefield, Kilmaley, Lissycasey Clarecastle, Ballyea. My point is everyone benefits. I know this doesn’t tie in with your perceptions of Eire Og but should they not be commended?

Eire Og have a plan to update their facilities: should they not be commended? Large urban clubs Na Piarsaigh in Limerick, Mungret currently doing the same.

The Banner and Eire Og are thriving at underage. Just look at they’re underage training nights- I have and the numbers would be 50/50. The provision of GDO by both clubs( we had Banner one last year just to be fair Ollie did super job) Long may it continue and in needs to when your competing with all the other options available to kids as regards sports clubs within Ennis.

I know plenty of people involved in both clubs- great people, hard working and plenty of good underage coaches. The common thing i hear from all of them is the focus on player retention, not underage titles. Again should they not be commended?

Eire Og currently providing 11 players to senior teams in Clare. The Banner 1. Should they not be commended?

Easier to run them and their efforts down from what I’ve read.

Advertisement