Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the government right to put no limit on the amount of Ukrainian refugees in Ireland? Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭enricoh

That's the 'housing crisis ' sorted for the next 5 to 10 years. Good luck to any young couples trying to outbid the council's n charities - ye'll need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Mine was an emotional rant supposedly, and then.. this ^^^ right 😅

I don’t think any degree of ‘admiration’ is being experienced but anyway… way to go with the snarky comments.

i did not mention anything about three kids… in fact I’m on record as saying that loads of seemingly single people, young and no offspring are out and about at the nearby location and facility that was housing them.

I doubt very much the government are providing childcare for their kids while they all go off and get some early evening r&r.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

One of this biggest reasons I have a problem with our political class, I hate the idea of the State out bidding private buyers that have worked hard

• Registered Users Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

i did not mention anything about three kids

May I refer you to the post you wrote which I was replying to

Article I read a few days ago, couple in their mid ‘40s, 3 kids, explaining how they settled into life here. Guy looked the perfect example of human health and fitness

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

So what I'm taking from the last few pages, is that there is no limit imposed to the amount of people coming in. But we've no where to house them. Marvelous. Aren't we brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

And the Ukranian ambassador is complaining about us not having accommodation for people from her country. Clearly doesn't accept that we have our own housing crisis.

I wonder when the Ukraine has finished banning political parties it doesn't like (currently 12 of them), how many people will have had their political representation removed from them?

It would be nice if RTÉ got around to asking her about democracy in Ukraine, and refused to accept "Well we only banning them cos they like Russia"..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,008 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Sorry what exactly is your problem with banning political parties that have ties to the country that is currently mass slaughtering and raping your populous?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ukraine is more a Tyranny then democracy and has been described as such from inside its borders and also by respected international commentators.

It received a score of 39/100 in the 2022 nations in transit report.

its regime is hostile to political activists and journalists and fails to protect from persecution and violence. More is needed in order to support to civic advocates, including LGBT+ people, human-rights defenders, citizen journalists, and religious and ethnic minorities.

Might be something to do with them actively fighting the Russians for the best part of a decade.

That said great strides have been made to incorporate Western values as opposed to Soviet. It's one of the reasons little Puttin is in there.

But what has any of that got to do with banning saboteurs from colluding with a country that is trying to destroy you? If you have a problem with that, by all means articulate why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Mickey Martin and Co are acting the maggot.

"What is the difference between an EU regulation and a directive?

Regulations have binding legal force throughout every Member State and enter into force on a set date in all the Member States. Directives lay down certain results that must be achieved but each Member State is free to decide how to transpose directives into national laws"

• Advertisement

Yes we incorporated the directive into our laws.

What's your point?

The government should be allowed break the law, do you see any problem with that going forward?

😕

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Field east

I offered accommodation- in a rural area last march and have had ABSOLUTLY no contact since apart from the RC enquiring circa mid April if the offer still stands to which I said ‘yes’. Hard to fathom what’s going on . Are all the refugees dictating where they want to be placed or what?

No. You misunderstand. Directives are also binding on member states.

The difference between them is that a Regulation tells you how you must do something. A Directive tells you the endpoint, but does not force you to take specific steps to get there. For the Directive, you can get there how you want. But you must still get there.

For example, a hypothetical Directive might be that the State has to cut its carbon emissions by 50% by 2040. Whereas a Regulation will outline the steps that it has to implement in terms of details/logistics in order to reduce emissions.

A Regulation might say that you must take in X refugees and give them Y Euros per week. Whereas a Directive might just say that the refugees have the temporary right to live in your country and be treated equivalent to a citizen in terms of access to SW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

So are the likes of France breaking the law? Surely the EU understand every country must have a limit as how many they can take in?

The Directive means that the Ukrainians can go and live in France if they want to. Unless you have reason to believe that France is preventing them from coming in and refusing entry, then they aren't doing anything in contravention

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Is there an institutionalisation of Ukrainians in hotels happening at the moment?

Daniel McConnell said on the radio that a lot of refugees won't leave hotels and live in the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

And people think the right are the problem when these are loony leftie "big government" policies!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

It's doing about as well as the more recent ex-Soviet block countries that are under duress, like Kosovo, Albania, etc. And this is in the 'democracy status' metric, one of 3. The rest of the rant you responded to is presented without sources, probably data from the Yushchenko/Russian sattelite era.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Absolutely. They'll be dictating their meal plans to you next and sleeping with your daughters.

FFS.

• Advertisement

Also worth noting is that Ireland has an opt out on Freedom, Security and Justice so we did not have to sign up for this Directive. Thats what the Government keep leaving out whenever they pin the fault on EU law, we opted in to this Directive when we didn't have to, Ireland could have been an outlier and put in a different law to allow Ukranians but with a cap

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭wangchung

What a ridiculous comment made by the Ukrainian Ambassador. Her words are going to alienate more people against the Ukrainians being in Ireland. We know the Government are currently making a mess of the whole situation and again did not have a plan in place at the start as a nation we have done an awful lot for those arriving. There is also a question about a number of those who are arriving, their intentions especially those from the east of the Ukraine and who they are actually affiliated to . I would say that there are no background checks on anyone coming in, Ukrainian or otherwise and what they are bringing in as I would doubt there are any searches. The Government are stepping on the Irish people who need assistance and instead helping those coming in so they make themselves look good internationally .There needs to be a limit now on the numbers coming in as we cant cope with what we have. It may sound inconsiderate but its a reality and a reality check is what we need to do moving forward. The Government needs to stand up and be counted .

If I remember correctly Ireland did not have to sign up, and actually did not initially do so, but did fairly soon after. So that horse has already bolted a long time ago

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

If we can't cope, then what help are we to anybody, including ourselves? Signing up to directives is all well and good, but, if the reality shows that your institutions can't cope with the real demands of the directive at hand, then when is somebody going to deal with the reality, instead of pretending all is okay? If you ran a private business in this manner it wouldn't be two seconds before the whole thing fell on top of its own arse.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

So then they apply for asylum.

It's another reason why countries don't formulate policy around internet malcontents.

Again the directive wasn't activated by the EU to be sound. Certain cohorts really do have a remedial view of what the reality of the situation is in Europe at this point in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It's the Billionaire class doing the outbidding. They buy them up like securities and play around with them like stonks. Don't think for half a second they aren't doing this in every market.

If you hate the idea of a Big State wait until you have to go to Amazon Basics to rent a room.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just to be clear the only way out of a Directive a country has already adopted is the way the UK got out of EU law

Once it's adopted there is no "unadopting" allowed in the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Whereas in the US every time a new federal law is passed theres a guarantee of a dozen or so state attorneys general who will sue over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭enricoh

A good few politicians in Europe paid no heed to 'malcontents' misgivings on refugees and asylum seekers. Some countries now have right wing governments in place as a result, 20 years ago their parties would be voted out in the first count.

Ain't too many suckers like paddy left knocking around. Paddy is about to learn this the hard way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

What other EU countries offer PPSN’s on arrival, free medical cards, free accommodation, free pocket money every week etc?

Advertisement