Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Coverage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

God no to Damien Lalor. He is a good journalist but his after match interviews with players for The Sunday Game was painful to watch. His questions more often than not were long winded and not very insightful.

He'd put something to a MOTM like "You have been training since December, you went through a tough 70 mins of football out there, your opponents were ferocious, the intensity was unreal, tell me did you always believe in all that time that you'd win here today?"

The player in question is hardly going to say anything other than what's expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I like Lawlor because he keeps it simple. He seems a no nonsense straight forward type. The opposite of Cahill who couldn't help himself crack silly childish unfunny gags which derailed almost every conversation no matter how serious the topic of conversation. It got to the stage where i just couldn't suffer Cahill anymore. I had to switch off.

I would rather Lawlor got it than Jackie Hurley or some of the others being mentioned. A process of elimination if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Des on Newstalk with Pat Kenny earlier. Valid point about the difficulty of trying to cram in so many matches into one highlights show on a Sunday night. RTE have no rights for a Monday night highlights show. Ladies looking for camogie and football coverage. And more games next year with the new format in football. Seems like the right time for a revamp with so many of the analysts moving on as well. Donal Lenihan reckons he just wants his Sunday night pints though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,538 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Noel Kelly making sure Dezzie goes out with a bang……Dezzie on every programme going.

Lad must be pushing the 65 mark now so he’ll be hanging up the boots soon enough eh?

Get the feeling he’ll be a tough lad to get rid outa Montrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

No problem with Hurley, as long as she limits her 'expert opinions' to camogie and ladies football i.e. the games they know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Doesn't matter who we get it's all very scripted now days and edited to the last you might as well put a robot in there with a black wig on him would do the job and work out a lot cheaper. Its just another RTE shite show now anyway gone way past caring at this stage

Hmmm. Tad harsh there Jack, but you do highlight the biggest problem with the Sunday Game.

Theres a lack of bite in there and for me , the show needs a kind of presenter not ‘embedded’ in the GAA.

The kind of person who could ask the hard questions without the risk of being ostracised by the GAA.

I have great respect for the GAA and those who run it but a presenter with no ‘form’ or dog in the fight

might be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I reckon RTE asked Cahill to go as he admitted he couldn't cope anymore especially with there being even more matches next year. His comment about being able to attend more live games is ridiculous as he'll be stuck in the studio or at best outside the grounds in the mobile unit.

He's long due a move.

Dessie likes de partie, far more interested in de bants and de celebrations than the actual game.

In de studio doesn’t give him much chance to get emotional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

The whole programme needs a revamp and more precisely RTE need to re-negotiate their deal with RTE, a single 2 hour programme a week won't deal with the volume of games these days, Cahill was a terrible host to be honest, definition of a company man just like Marty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The presenter of a show like does doesn't need to be an expert St all imo. A straight man (or woman) who will just negotiate the links between the games and tee up any experts or guests with good questions. A proper journalist with homework done and a bit of charm would do it.

There is a bigger question, for the GAA more than RTÉ, in how much or little TV coverage they want in future. With the amount of games in the coming years, 90 or 120 minutes on a Sunday night isn't enough.

Maybe we need

* different shows for football and hurling?

*play Hurling and Football on different days? (eg.all Hurling on Saturdays /all Football on Sunday or vide versa)

*Sell rights to football and hurling to different broadcasters?

*have TV blackout on weekend afternoons with live TV of evening games only?

*how to incorporate streaming services - sell individual 'Season tickets' or run a 'Netflix' type subscription system in house (GAA Go type thing during the pandemic) with access to more games.

There is a balance to be achieved by the rights owners (GAA) to broadcast enough games without overdoing it and taking from club games and the quality of the intercounty 'product '. The GAA themselves have to analyse what they want to do before talking to the broadcasters to see what they are interested in buying. Just saying ' RTE should show more games) isn't a reality, the games aren't theirs to show.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭lertsnim

With Sky now gone I wonder who will get those games. Wouldn't surprise me if it's TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Looks like the Sky agreement has ended. Sky wanted a package which included an additional 16 League games along with the usual Championship games and both parties couldn't come to an agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Has to be seen as a big loss to the GAA

They aren't going to make the same money elsewhere that they made from the Sky deal

What players might come in for that same package that Sky had? RTE probably won't pony up for it

Virgin Media? Doubtful.. TG4 I doubt they have the budget

Amazon Ireland? Maybe, but again, do they recoup that money in subscribers, probably no

I think it's time the GAA really start looking at their own broadcasting, whether via a GAA Go overhaul, or otherwise

How much was in the pot for the Sky deal? IIRC it wasn't big money, think the GAA sold it on the fallicy that it was going to 'broaden the audience' or some pie in the sky like that. It was certainly not much more than the equivelant RTÉ were paying, for a lot less viewers IIRC. Lmight be wrong on that, but that was how I recalled it?

As you said above, an in house solution might be the way to go, but of course there will be some who will complain about Internet access etc. That is less of an issue with each passing year, and there isn't an ould farmer in the country but can use Done Deal and watch the cattle marts online, as well as being able to facetime the grandkids in Australia at this stage. Make it simple and people will use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Could Virgin media get some games now ?

BT is a no go I'd imagine

Amazon, Netflix and the likes very doubtful

It would of been nice if that deal posted happened as it would of meant more games on TV. Who through the toys out of the pram ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭landofthetree

I think it will be Virgin media. After all sky took over the old TV3 package.

Anyway it's good to see Sky gone. Their long term aim was to get exclusive rights to all the games( bar the finals which have to be shown free to air).As they couldn't increase the amount of games this time round they have thrown the towel in.

Them going OTT is a possibly. I'm personally not a fan of sports rights going OTT as its often lags behind the "live" broadcast. But it looks like it will be the way things are headed in the future

What's OTT?

Sky weren't interested in growing the audience or exclusive rights for all games, they just wanted enough games to keep Paddy from cancelling the Sky Sport Subs when the EPL wasn't on. Now that the intercounty is on at the same time as the soccer, it's no good to them, which shows where their interests are (TBF that's their perogative as a private company).

GAA can't really broadcast ALL games, they/we have to protect the product somewhat, leave people wanting to watch games rather than overdo it and have viewers sick of looking at the games with too much coverage.

OTT basically means not on normal TV stations (RTE/BBC/Sky etc.), but rather on Netflix, Amazon, Disney, GAAGO etc.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I wonder will the people who were complaining about Sky be happy when many games will be pay per view next year on GAA Go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Did you not read the statement, sky wanted to show more games. Even at a time when the premiership is on.

They wanted to show 16 league games. And couldn't reach a deal with the Gaa and rte.

To be honest the Gaa are very backward. SKY know the value of showing a league competition.

The games are more competitive and not one-sided like the Half the early rounds of the football championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Do you have a source for that?

Sky wanting 16 league games flies in the face of any theory that they were only broadcasting GAA to hold on to Irish audiences (both in Ireland and the UK) during the soccer off season.

That may have been true back in the day when they showed games from June to September, but seeing as league games would be on the same time as soccer it's makes no sense.

Probably at a minimum of €10 for one-off purchases

• Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭shmeee

Around the €60 milion mark the deal was worth. Ain't easy to come up with that kinda money.

Its a disaster to be honest, Sky were showing games which would not have been broadcast and wanted to show even more games.

The GAA are stuck in the stone age, even county boards are doing more on demand / live coverage than HQ. Someone needs to tell them it's 2022. People will pay to see matches, I regularly pay €10 to watch a live club game during the weekends.

And don't go on about, poor Johnny on the side of a mountain in Sligo who can't see his county play and he pays his TV licence and deserve the right to watch our sport.. Sure he more than likely wouldn't have been able until sky came into the scene. We won't know what we've lost until it's gone! The GAA need to move on....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Big loss for the GAA and the games. Sky coverage of the hurling was top class. I wonder if the general 'anti Brit' vibe in Ireland played a part in this.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

It mentions it here

They wanted to show 32 games (16 League + 16 championship) to make up for the shortened, condensed season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

If these games are moved to PPV on GAAGO the hierarchy will be absolutely slated and rightly so, they need to thread carefully on this one, hoping Virgin can pick up the rights, just no Matt Cooper this time! The outcome of this will give a good picture of the GAA's priority and intentions.

• Advertisement

A couple of questions for some of ye that study and remember these things - Were they paying 60 million for the existing deal? Over what period?

Where is the 60 league games coming from, is thay the old Eir Sport package?

It's not 100% true they were showing games not previously shown, they bought the package that was largely the old TV3 package.

Not a fan of the Sky coverage myself, I don't think they brought anything innovative or new to the party myself, and I'd prefer as many games as possible to be FTA. Pro sports are of course mostly behind a pay wall, I personally think the GAA ought to be different myself, but that's just my belief. Also, there is still a difference paying a tenner to watch an individual game than paying (is it) 30 quid per month for a standard Sky package plus 30 quid more per month for Sports package, but that's just my opinion.

As I said, the GAA has big decisions to make in the way it shows it's games and how many games it shows, the whole multimedia/OTT/broadcasting environment is fast moving and changing by the month. It's a challenge to keep ahead of it, bigger organisations (FA/EPL and NFL for instance) are struggling to keep up and keep ahead of it, so I wouldn't be too hard on the GAA on this instance,especially when they are tied into multi year contracts.

Advertisement