Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭deezell

You didn't use AnPost Addresspal to a UK address by any chance? That way you pay UK vat, then Irish vat when it's forwarded. Classic no brainer, you'd have no brain if you used it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Need to know what the item was and who was selling it to know what went on (as above Amazon or private seller?).

VAT of that much indicates an item that would cost more than 1K and sold by an amazon market place seller not amazon themselves.

Get on to the seller and get them to refund the UK VAT.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I use the Amazon click and collect a few times every year. The order is delivered to a PO just across the border who can hold it for up to 17 days I think. There are weight and size restrictions though. For anything that can't be delivered to the PO I use a friends address in NI.

Oh for Parcel Motel, rip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Sounds off the scale.

Amazon UK deduct UK VAT and add Irish VAT. There should be no more charges.

Unless you purchased from a third party seller.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Cookiee

I regularly order amazon click and collect to the north, there's a post office right by the border that does click and collect for amazon, 1 hour from Dublin, I usually order mulitple items to make the trip worth it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Mod-Please read the forum charter, particularly the parts about avoiding customs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

It's a digital camera (£1599) third party seller but it was handled by Amazon. I thought the "import fees deposit" of 368 was added in error as cameras have 0% duty. I got onto Amazon chat and they said that they can't look into returning the 368 until I've actually made a purchase. So went ahead and made the order only to find out that it was not duty but VAT! But they wrongfully calculated the VAT on the cost of the goods + the UK VAT. So I'm paying VAT on VAT.

Cost of Camera: £1299.99

UK VAT at 20%: £259.99

Irish VAT at 23% (charged on "value" of 1599.99) = £368

Total cost to me = £1967.99 (€2254)

Good thinking, should be Amazon themselves as they are the handlers. I'll see how this works out before I try anything drastic like driving to my second house in Enniskillen.

Good thinking, should be Amazon themselves as they are the handlers. I'll see how this works out before I try anything drastic like driving to Enniskillen.

With it being a third party seller then Amazon will tell you its the seller you need to contact. Amazon will tell you how the VAT is charged is up to the third party seller not them. I would have thought anyone selling high end camera's will be able to handle a VAT transaction like this. I've had this issue and got a refund but it was for a tiny amounts compared to this. If they won't refund then you have to plague Amazon. Its not in the seller interest to get on the wrong side of Amazon so I've found even the chinese play ball once contacted.

You'll still loose out a bit unless the Irish VAT is recalculated on the original price less UK VAT.

Did amazon add the £386? That's the correct Irish vat of 23%. Was the camera used? If New, was 1599 the UK price including UK VAT. You said you were hit by a Customs charge, which implies that it has been delivered and is being held pending payment, but this seems more like Amazon added the £386? Before you ordered it? Irish customs demand would be in €.

• Advertisement

The price of the camera including UK VAT is 1599.99 (I put in a UK address (addresspal) just to see and the final price at checkout was 1599.99)

However, when delivering to my home address in ROI, Amazon added a £368 "import fees deposit" giving a final price of 1967. I have the camera now (unopened) but I'm only realising that I payed way too much so will likely send it back if I can't get some of the VAT refunded.

I contacted the seller but they said that Amazon handles all of the charging/shipping so would have to contact them. I have now (once again) explained very clearly to Amazon what the issue is and I should hear the outcome in 48 hours.

I contacted the seller but they said that Amazon handles all of the charging/shipping so would have to contact them. I have now (once again) explained very clearly to Amazon what the issue is and I should hear the outcome in 48 hours.

Amazon handle the money but they don't handle how the accounting is done for third party sellers. So its the third party seller that has made the mistake because they set their end up so Amazon doesn't remove the UK VAT before adding Irish VAT. This issue seems to occur when third party sellers don't provide a VAT breakdown to Amazon when they list the item. If you go back to the listing and do a trial buy again is the UK VAT listed.

The seller will get the money including the UK VAT from Amazon so as they have your money they should be the ones to issue a refund for the amount.

At least thats how its worked out for me for some chinise stuff I bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Useful email I received from Amazon last November:

Hello,

Ahead of the busy shopping period we wanted to provide you with some advice and guidance to make sure you get the most out of Amazon.co.uk as a customer in the Republic of Ireland.

-----------------------------------

Prime Benefits

As part of a Prime membership, customers in the Republic of Ireland can access unlimited Priority Delivery on eligible items, as well PrimeVideo, Prime Photos, Prime Reading, and other Prime benefits. See more information about the great range of Prime Benefits you can enjoy here: https://amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=G6V3LUCB9M6VNQAD

Delivery Information

Please ensure the name in your address includes your first and last name and doesn’t include any initials, numbers, or special characters (@, #, !).

Adding an Eircode to your Irish address also helps our delivery partners accurately identify your address, making the delivery of goods easier. Visit https://www.eircode.ie to find your Eircode.

You can edit your address during the checkout process, or at any time by visiting www.amazon.co.uk/addresses.

VAT & Duties Calculation

When shopping on Amazon.co.uk, all prices are shown inclusive of UK VAT before checkout but this is removed and updated with any Irish VAT and / or duties that are due when you proceed to checkout and select an Irish delivery address. Here are some common examples:

On orders less than €150 dispatched from Amazon UK (Irish VAT due):

- The price you see before checkout is inclusive of UK VAT, at the appropriate rate (e.g. 20%).

- UK VAT is removed at checkout and you will instead see Irish VAT applied (e.g. 23%) once an Irish delivery address is selected.

- E.g. a cable with a price of €15.18 (including UK VAT), changes to €15.55 at checkout (€12.65 with UK VAT removed + €2.90 Irish VAT added).

On orders more than €150 dispatched from Amazon UK (custom duties and taxes where applicable):

- The price you see before checkout is inclusive of UK VAT (e.g. 20%).

- UK VAT is removed at checkout and once an Irish delivery address is selected

you will instead see 1) an item price which excludes VAT, and 2) an Import Fee Deposit which includes Irish VAT (23%), and any applicable duties (for some products no duties are applied).

- E.g. a ladies coat with a price of €200.92 (including UK VAT) changes to €230.65 at checkout (UK VAT is removed and replaced with Irish VAT and duties, which in this example would be €167.43 ex-VAT price + €63.22 Import Fee Deposit and Irish VAT).

On orders dispatched from Marketplace Sellers:

- The price of items which are dispatched from our Marketplace Sellers are inclusive of any applicable VAT and duties, and no further payment will be due. If for any reason you are charged additional costs (e.g., by customs authorities), in addition to the purchase price and delivery, you can contact the Seller to request a refund of these costs.

- Should the Seller not reply or resolve the issue for you, you are eligible to file an A-to-Z Guarantee claim with us to request a refund.

- For more information about our A-to-Z Guarantee, please visit https://amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GQ37ZCNECJKTFYQV

Visit the Irish Revenue site for more information on how VAT and duties are applied: https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/buying-goods-from-outside-the-eu.aspx

We hope this helps and that we see you again soon.

Regards,

Customer Service Department

Amazon.co.uk

@VG31 Thanks a million, this is exactly the information I was looking for (why couldn't Amazon have sent me this rather than fobbing me off??)

So I should really be repaid £259.99 (UK VAT) along with £259.99*23% (Irish VAT) = £59.79

Giving a total VAT refund of £319.78 (€366.57)

It will be interesting to see if it will be Amazon or the seller who gives the refund given Amazon handle all postage/packaging/disputes.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭gibbo_ireland

Hey all,

Just wondered if any of you wise folks had an explanation as to why Amazon.co.uk lately seems to have very long delivery times to Ireland even as a Prime customer?

Just a week ago, it was just 2 days delivery on "most" items, but now, the shortest delivery time I can see for a range of prime items is nearly a week to Dublin.

I have an item in transit, that was due to be delivered last Wednesday, but with the crazy storms, expected that some flights would be delayed, so I might need to wait an extra day or max 2. But I see my order delivery time has also been pushed a full week later - even though it says its in the country!

There I was, with the promise of the Rathcoole operation giving us same day/next day, but instead, its the opposite lately!

Just curious as to what might be causing it or going on - its clearly not due to the weather! Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The Prime estimated delivery times are getting longer but they're underpromising a lot.

Ordered items on Thursday - said delivery on Monday 24th. Arrived Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

If anything my recent orders (not Prime) are arriving three or four days earlier than expected from a UK warehouse.

Post edited by Jim_Hodge on

Are Amazon estimated delivery times accurate? I have a package due before 8pm today according to Amazon.de tracking.

But the postman has been this morning and left no docket. An post tracking says it has been sorted on Saturday and nothing since.

I'm just wondering am I wasting my time waiting around until 8pm, if postman has gone.

What county are you in?

In Dublin Amazon do their own deliveries. Can be anytime up to 9pm and you can track the van on their app.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

The OP says it's an An Post Tracking Number.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Haddonfield

If its coming from amazon germany it will not be delivered by amazon driver. It will be delivered by post or independent courier.

It will move from Sorted to Out for Delivery when your postman has it. The Amazon delivery info is an estimate. Amazon.de are not delivered by Amazon themselves but, as the tracking shows, by An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If the postman is gone, you are not getting it today.

That said, I find Amazon outrageously fast to deliver here to the back end of mayo.

With us small post is delivered by the postman, larger parcels are delivered by an anpost van later in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I'm in Drogheda and Amazon deliver it directly up here. Doesn't matter whether it was .com, .co.uk or .de.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Happens from time to time, could arrive tomorrow morning too. I know what it's like waiting for a package especially if it's costing hundreds.

When I order a nice fishing reel or astronomy stuff, I'm more anticipated than a CD or something else that can go through the letter box.

I'd say you'll have it by tomorrow afternoon

But the tracking is An Post, so delivery will be An Post. BTW, I'm just north of you and Amazon never deliver here directly.

I contacted An Post and it's not even at their distribution centre so that was that.

I was getting worried it was a wasted day off from work to wait for the package (Don't live at delivery address) but another delivery was unexpectedly early while I was there. So not too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭EarWig

Surely if you're not at home for the delivery, then it goes back to a Delivery Service Unit. Do you not know where yours is?

I just go to mine and collect it in person. They hold it for 5 days.

Advertisement