Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempting to destroy famous paintings because fossil fuels

Options

Comments

Even though I don't agree with destroying any art, I did enjoy that stunt by Channel 4. It reminded me of when Channel 4 used to be edgy and irreverent and countercultural.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Lol, you speak like youre part of a cult!!

Yep i have an opinion, these people using oil based products to glue themselves to walls in museums are attention seeking arseholes who are looking to be social media legends and nothing else. Your opinion is based on the following mantra "one they are talking about climate change then it doesn t matter" theyre on my side

You want to support morons like that then knock yourself out, its like your brain is so fogged the very idea that someone could think these people are attention seeking morons AND believe in climate change that youre actually incapable of believeing holding both these views is possible!!

But im the problem!

You see people like these as heroes because of what they represent i see them for what they are "attention seeking morons" who wouldnt go and do the type of work that real heroes such as Paul Watson or the likes of Vicki Buck who are actually trying to do something rather than looking for attention.

But we arent talking about these are we, just talking about the a "attention whores" funny that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

Life on earth as we know it today has two major ''enemies'' No. 1 is the planets own power to self destruct by causing a massive volcanic 'winter' as happened back in 1815 when Mount Tambora erupted, .......but on a much bigger scale. No. 2 is being hit by a massive meteor / asteroid. Now you have two more reasons to stay awake at night worrying.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Tbf the tyre extinguishers (my heroes 😍) tend to target Range Rovers in wealthy parts of London and Paris etc. where you really don't need to be driving those obnoxious vehicles. I don't know if you'd call these regular people, they are pretty bloody rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Why don't these losers nut up and go full Baader Meinhof and kidnap some oil executives or blow up a refinery, or is that just not an Instagramable moment so its beyond their consideration?

The planet deserves to burn if these are it's best defenders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,364 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Someone should tell them theat there's no actual oil in oil paintings...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

I think you've got the wrong idea.

That's my genuine opinion,it's not something I get worked up about and don't care about the topic enough to engage any further with you.

............... and not much water in watercolours!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

This craic makes no sense. Why don't the climate change folks go attack Damien Hirst? That lad is literally setting fire to stuff and claiming its "art". He is also doing this right now.

Bit pointless attacking Van Gogh paintings. What do they expect Van Gogh to do about it? Rise up from the grave and beg forgiveness for never flying on a private jet?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You and the rest of the ostriches are the ones focusing the conversation on the protesters, that's your choice, and the people doing the damage thank you for it.

If listening to people who are specifically educated, experienced, hired and working in a particular field when they talk about their area of expertise is being in a cult, then absolutely I am, by that rational. Most definitely, I mean that's literally the whole point of education and standards.

Are you saying you are not?

When you feel sick, do you go get a Dr's opinion or just stick your head out the window and asked the nearest passerby for advice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

I’ve literally seen pigeons get it quicker than you mate. I mean you literally cannot get past the train of thought that if I believe these protesters are morons I can only be a climate change denier, you literally cannot get that a person could hold both of those thoughts simultaneously.

I don’t deny climate change, I agree with all the science and all the scientific research in to it. I’ve said this to you numerous times but I know it’s a hard concept for you the very idea that you can believe in something but also believe some other people claiming to believe it are utter morons. Your like a football fan who cant see how one of your players can do anything wrong! Most people tend to grow out of that.

I’m not that dumb or naive enough to believe that everyone who does everything in the name of climate change is in it because they so believe in climate change, you obviously are, hence your defence of these morons.

The moronic attention seeking media likes actions of the protestors are what’s focusing the attention, nothing else, literally they have changed no one’s mind, not one single person even wavering towards climate change issues looked at these attention whores and found e themselves going, yeah now I get it!

Attention seeking morons who do nothing but take the attention away from the real people making real action happen but hey theyre on your team so “Good for you, you attention seeking morons” who have literally achieved nothing only alienating more people away from the issues at hand, you don’t need an expert to tell you that, just a bit of cop on!

I'm not married, but thanks for trying to go into my personal life, bit pathetic. What's your point anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭mufflets2

Yours seems to be an interesting position, you believe that we are destroying the planet for future generations - but you disagree with the actions of the protesters

what do you suggest should be done (instead) to stop the destruction of the planet by our use of fossil fuels for future generations ?

SMH. I know what you're saying. Guess what, I don't agree with you. You're not taking that very well.

You getting angrier and angrier and turning to insults is neither going to bother me, or make a difference.

These people, and many more like them are looking at a future where they and their peers are going to suffer massively and they want action taken to stop harmful emissions and yet you think they are doing it for attention.

Some people can't imagine anyone would do anything for the greater good and the lengths they go to insult those who do act selflessly says a lot about their own motivations. Have you ever done anything that wasn't for your direct and immediate gain?

Too many people attempt to shut down protesters by telling them 'there's a better way'. What is it? Because that has been said for decades now and the problem still continues to only get worse.

COP27 announced its main sponsor is Coca Cola. Probably the worlds biggest contributor of single use plastics. What do you think that is all about? British Cycling announced as its new main sponsor 2 weeks ago for the next 8 years is Shell UK. The companies most responsible for most of the damage are seeking to continue to control the narrative and you and way too many more like you are getting annoyed at those who call bullsh*t for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

The reality is the protesters posed a question and people have answered it.

They basically asked us are we going to be more outraged by a painting being damaged than the planet and even humanity being in danger. We’ve clearly said Yes.

The nay sayers can laugh at them and belittle them all they want but the absolute fact is that we are pumping an insane amount of carbon into the atmosphere and every warning that has been given is now coming to pass. Its coming to pass quicker than expected, and what’s even scarier is humans have clearly shown that until the sh1t absolutely hits the fan we’re not going to do anything that reflects the scale of the crisis.

Anyone who is reading this post has benefited from scientific research and discovery. The fact that human emitting green house gases is causing global warming is not only being scientifically demonstrated and measured now, but is also allowing scientists to predict where we’re headed.

The other fact is that wildlife has declined by 70% in the last 50 years. If that does not alarm people then we are screwed.

There is one thing I’ll agree with, they are likely doing it for themselves, for the attention, for the sense of belonging they have the group they are in, whatever. But honestly, who cares? That’s certainly no reason to diminish the point.

Long may it continue because none of the rest of us give a damn. And we probably won’t in our life times, maybe a slight bit of guilt when we see how hard our grandkids lives have become due to mass inward migration, sky high living costs (what we have now will look cheap), sporadic food shortages, spending all their money on flood repairs… lack of simple things like enjoying a beach unless you can catch it for 15 mins when the tide is totally out.

Sure, it’s not as dramatic as the world ending, if anything it’s worse because it’s the proverbial frog in the warm water that is slowly boiling.

We should be applauding them and ashamed we are not out there protesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My point is hypocrisy. One of the ladies who died, possibly to some degree due to these scum delaying an ambulance, was a GP. I wonder if your partner shares your belief that no blame should be placed on them?

About a week ago, these anti oil zealots refused to let someone through who was trying to get a sick baby to hospital, an ambulance was delayed and fortunately wasn't blocked in by cars and rerouted, but a fire engine on a callout was delayed considerably, all that at the same incident.

Some moron drove across 3 lanes and killed that woman.

How is my partners profession making me a hypocrite?

A vastly greater number of people die and suffer because of organizations focusing on maximizing and sustaining profit than have, or will as a consequence of these protestors.

Millions of people have and will die because of the impact of carbon emissions.

Millions of people suffer and die because of the capitalization of healthcare.

It's hypocrisy to profess outrage at the suffering of people at the hands of those who are not directly responsible for their suffering while at the very least being ambivalent towards those who are.

You must be absolutely disgusted at the thousands of deaths directly attributable to the tories defunding of the NHS as well as the thousands suffering and dying as a results of the present effects of climate change .and you must not be able to sleep thinking of the impending death and destruction stemming from climate change .

what do you suggest should be done instead in order to stop the death and suffering caused now and in the future by climate change ?

or are you a climate change denier?

• Advertisement

trust me people like him are delighted if someone dies as a result of these protests, it plays right into their hands

I wanted to give him an opportunity to suggest solutions otherwise he may be accused of

HYPOCRISY

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

28000 people die in the UK each year due to the effects of air pollution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Where are you going to get your synthetic oil from the lubricate the turbines.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Synthetic and vegetable oil based esters offer the best choice in formulating environment friendly lubricants. In the present review an attempt has been made to highlight some recent developments in the area of biodegradable synthetic ester base stocks for formulation of new generation lubricants including the efforts made so far at the author's laboratory in this direction. The developed products find applications in automotive transmission fluids, metal working fluids, cold rolling oils, fire resistant hydraulic fluids, industrial gear oils, neat cutting oils and automotive gear lubricants either alone or in formulations. (Nagendramma, 2012)

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,41&q=biodegradable+lubricants

Vegetable oils are promising candidates for biodegradable biolubricants.

Seems not widely available. Seems still in R&D phase.

You're right. Because fossil fuel based lubricant might need to be used for wind farms the whole thing is a total sham and we should carry on business as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Some things needs to go full circle.

People generally do not realize that current standard of living and prosperity is here because of cheap energy (fossil fuels). People also got lazy as most of the stuff is plentiful and readily available like just a click away...

You see, people in developing countries do have quite different priorities so it is easy to see where we are going with all this. West is going to crumble, we are doing it ourselves while they are starting to utilize cheap energy from fossil fuels and see their living standards and economy to rise.

Eventually we will start to come back out of misery we are creating right now and start to develop again...

Btw, planet will be OK.

Advertisement