Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So has there been a coup in China?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Again, even wikileaks acknowledges that many of the men that were engaged in the video were armed.

I don't know where you're pulling it out of that they were all civilians, because civilians don't typically carry around AKMs and RPGs, which are clearly identifiable in the video.

It was a f*ck up of an operation, with blurred rules of engagement in an urban area. But there was no war crime.

Post edited by Yurt2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

See what you just did.

You openly criticised the governments of USA and Ireland on a public internet forum.

Take a flight to Bejing and try doing the same to the CCP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I don't accept your contention that there is any comparison with the way political dissent is dealt with here and in China,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Can anyone confirm who allowed that police station. Should the Garda not just raid the place and arrest anyone trying to enforce foreign laws in Ireland ? I would have thought it's directly against a part of the constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

if you take a look at Irish times article that I think was linked earlier:

The Chinese embassy spokeswoman said Irish authorities have been informed of the establishment of the Dublin police service station. She said the allegations detailed in the Safeguard Defenders report are not true.

Security officials in Ireland are aware of the presence of the station although it is unclear if Chinese authorities had an obligation to register its presence. “It’s a bit of a new one to be honest,” one security source said. After all, no Chinese police officers are physically in the station, just volunteers. The Department of Foreign Affairs did not respond to queries.

It is a grey area. We're not China, authorities here won't/can't exercise that amount of control, watching everything + everyone and looking for the paperwork to be in order. I mean we don't even have any state id/"registering with the authorities" or basic stuff like that which is standard in many countries.

No one had to "allow" them, they just went and did it really + no one stopped them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Well, regardless of the non coup and the former president's clear opposition to Chairman Jin we here in Ireland need to keep an eye on Chinese operations like this.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Much like the US, there at least used to be legislation around undeclared agents of a foreign state - which the people engaged in this very much are. The people involved operate under the aegis of a "community association", but you can go to Paddy Power with the fact they're CCP members operating check by jowl with the Chinese embassy.

Not sure if that law is still on the books or is moribund and unenforced or what.

If the Chinese government wanted to, they could have a police attaché working out of the embassy with the assent of the Irish government (as Ireland does in a number of countries - Spain comes to mind), but they've gone the undeclared route.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

FFS, you need planning permission to start an air b&b and the council will charge you hundreds a year to put a sandwich board outside your premises, but you can open a secret police station in an area (laughably referred to as Dublin's Chinatown) as a clear and intimidating signal to members of the Chinese community that Beijing is still watching you and the response is, sure it's grand.

What a joke of a nation we are. The should have told the ambassador to shut it down or shutter their embassy.

To remain on topic however, yes is the answer, a very Chinese coup, because only in China are coups conducted by those in power. I for one welcome our new Emperor Xi!

Agree. This is a pretty free and open live & let live society that has not had this sort of threat (who would be bothered till recently in our history).

I don't know what stuff is in our legislation that deals with it ("traitors" I suppose if involving Irish citizens (?) acting for others, or foreign "agents" getting up to grey-zone stuff in this country) but I am sure it's very dusty and seldom used.

They (CCP) have contempt for us (and other small European democracies) as weak naifs. They are completely cynical IMO, and we know how they treat people at home. For last decade or so China is unfortunately a superpower on all dimensions too, well down road to the "we will do what we like when our interests are involved - stay well out of the way you!" giant arrogance that can go with that status, so taking it all together, it is a toxic brew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

So the answer to the thread title is a resounding no.

• Advertisement

lol I hereby bestow upon you one of the worthless awards the Soviets used to give to Western helpers for being proved correct on the Chinese coup. (edit: thread has gone well off on a tangent).

The important "coup" happened there long before any of us arrived on the scene I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The BBC is reporting today that the Dept of Foreign Affairs in Dublin have ordered the Chinese 'Police' Station in Capel Street to close down it's operations.

The request to close the station was officially made by the Dept yesterday after making remarks that the Chinese authorities had not sought official permission from the Irish government to open the station. The Chinese government has complied with it's request.

Safeguard Defenders who had put pressure on the Dept to close down the station are possibly delighted with this decision being made by the Dept. It was found out that this station persuaded some of their 230,000 citizens to go back to China to face criminal charges along with apparently processing applications for drivers licenses in Chinese citizens in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

The Republic is in serious need of a National Intelligence Division in order to keep proper track of such goings on as with the Chinese and their modus operandi.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Good news. The CCP must not be allowed to get any foothold on this country. And protect people who have fled from them.

All Eyes On Rafah

Advertisement