Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Porch and Heffernan had their best outings in many a year tonight. The latter seems to only ever be highlighted online for the odd ropey lineout. You'd wonder what sport folk do be watching.

Dave Heff does throw a few duds in the lineout but I think most of the people commenting online have no idea how complex a modern lineout is. The hooker has limited influence on the calls and most of them are jumper timed throws. When things malfunction quite a lot of his "bad throws" end up close to their intended arc but are either well contested or poorly lifted for, neither of which is the hooker's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Great win, wasn't pretty in the first half but much improved second half. Big impact from Dowling and Aungier coming off the bench.

Heffernan has just strung 3 great performances in a row together imo and rightly deserves great praise.

However that doesn't alter the first 3 games of the season where he wasn't great. Lineout malfunctions, maul decisions, defensive lapses and to say a modern lineout is complex is fair enough but not straight is fairly uncomplicated. Hookers get judged in comparison to other hookers who face the same complexities. DTM putting a bit of pressure on is probably good for Heff.

Well done Heff keep it up, playing like an international.

Thought Prendergast put in a big physical 80 as well.

Poor Jack, a few easy ones in front of the posts on a nice dry sunny day would help. Playing good rugby other than the place kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Hansen has many talents but outstanding pace (for a wing) isn’t one of them. Once those backs were past him he was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

We have being leaking trys for so long it's just nice to see we are not doing that as much anymore. So maybe there are negatives but to see us playing defensively better is a massive start. And kudos to Hawkshaw in that way. Has really improved our central defense which has been underperforming for quite some time.

• Advertisement

I see Friendy is testing the Wallabies waters for John Porch basically letting on he should be in the national team's plans. Also interesting to note he'd be IQ in 2024 if not selected by Rennie prior

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Number 137

He has played 7s for Australia, therefore he is surely ineligible for Irish selection? Connacht signed him straight from their 7s squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

In the past year or so there was a change to allow players switch countries if they had not played for the country they were first tied for a number of years. Charles Piutau and Isreal Folau recently took advantage of this to switch to representing Tonga having previously represented New Zealand and Austrailia, respectively

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Australia A is the Aussie second team, not the sevens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

That's only if you have ties to the new nation, i.e. you, a parent, or grandparent born there. Can't be used to qualify via residency.

• Advertisement

This only applies to players who are either born in those countries or have family ties. It does not count towards players qualifying on residency. Unless Porch has Irish blood, he can't qualify.

Second teams, ie the A teams AND/OR 7s selection make you ineligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Yeah, but I think those players have to be born in, or have recent ancestors from, their new country. Can't qualify on residency for a second country after playing for one, as far as I know.

Porch would have to use the Olympic 7s loophole if the plan was to become IQ.

Are you sure, that's not how section 8 reads. Sevens appearances tie you into the sevens game, not the fifteens

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Thanks for setting me straight, I had just assumed this was the method of qualifying if that's not the case then I have no idea how Porch might qualify for Ireland

Don't think that applies any more. That was the criteria for changing nation for players naturally qualified. But has since been removed, meaning the only criteria is not playing a test game for the three years. That's what I've read anywyay. Could be wrong.

Pretty sure it applies for both, and vice versa.

Fair enough, I'm surprised friend didn't realize that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'd certainly pick several lads before Porch. He's a good player but, I'd definitely prefer Stockdale; Larmour, JOB and RB.

Does anyone think that Hawkshaw is making a challenge to Daly? I think Hawkshaw is a similar type of player to Frawley and has a very good rugby iq. Although, Daly does give the team size in the center.

I think Heffernan will get the 16 jersey v SA. He's playing really well atm. A win this week will put Connacht in a fairly good position. I would expect a win. Connacht will have a strong squad to pick from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Honestly Hawkshaw has been making more of impact physically than Daly has recently, despite the size difference. He's a really tough competitor, plus he's a talented footballer which we haven't seen much of yet.

• Advertisement

If the document at this link is up to date players can only switch if they were born in the second country or had parents/grandparents from there:

It's part 8.6. It says the player has to satisfy part 8.1 a (born) or b (ancestors).

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Yes, Hawkshaw looks like he's in pole position at twelve in the absence of Bundee. TD has been poor by the standard he set in 20/21 and which resulted in him being called up to the Irish squad for that summer's tests. Hopefully he'll return to that level.

With Hawkshaw, I think the question is will he challenge Jack at outhalf, or if he could be tried at fullback where we have a vacancy. DH makes mistakes but looks full of confidence and unusually happy playing rugby. The guy has a spring in his step and his decision to move west has been vindicated. Carty has played a bit at FB and if our aim is to get our best players onto the pitch, then either version of those two at 10/15 could be an avenue to explore.

There's an Adam Byrne question there too in terms of the composition of our next back three, but I'll leave that mystery for another time.

I agree with this. Read this as Andy Friend propping up one of his Aussie mates. Porch is a good player, but I'd be utterly shocked if he was picked for the Wallabies, and he isn't good enough to be picked for us either.

Sorry lads just for reference this is the article mentioning Friend's belief he's Irish qualified in 2024

https://www.rte.ie/sport/united-rugby-championship/2022/1023/1330920-friend-amazed-wallabies-have-not-come-calling-for-porch/

Am I missing something? Friend and Garry Doyle in his 42 article both seem to think Porch can qualify on residency for Ireland.

As far as I can tell his only route would be to become an Irish citizen and then play for Ireland 7s in a certain number of 7s comps that count towards Olympic qualification. I'm not sure there's time for him to do that before Paris 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

I see the Munster money tree is still going strong with Ryan and Morris on the way in.

Probably got the lads for a decent deal but just shows how big the gap between us and the other three is :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Ryan is only on a 3 month contract.

He is not a bad player either. IMO the main reason he was released was because of the need for succession planning.

With Archer injured and needing surgery it makes sense to bring someone in.

In what position do you need a medical joker, or are without a senior player pending a court case?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Calm down there Syd, no need to go trawling for offense where none was meant.

At the moment none but last year we had squads where the THs had 1 senior appearance between the two of them.

I don't mind munster getting the replacements, just highlighting how difficult it is for connacht to compete with the richer provinces on this island.

And Farells case would have been known about in advance so that should have been planned for, but a player of Morris's quality available at low wages is a good signing.

• Advertisement

No offense taken, I'm not a Munster supporter. I just find the constant poor mouth from some connacht fans to be incrediblly tedious. You constantly get fully developed senior players move across from other provinces as you have such a difficult producing your own, and you have a very limited capacity stadium which restricts your finances and bargaining power, yet you complain still when another province, which has a horror injury list, manages to recruit a short term injury cover and a longer term cover for a player who may never play for the club again.

A bit of self awareness wouldn't go astray here.

Advertisement