Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2022-Round 19 United States GP ( Austin)

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭thefa

Alonso penalty doesn’t sit right with me. He spent over half the race with the the mirror hanging on or gone. Either call him in during the race if it’s a safety issue or let him race. Very much a token gesture to the concept of safety. Start punishing driving errors more strictly if you actually want to have an impact on safety. Would be nice if Alpine win the appeal.

Post edited by thefa on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Killinator

How the hell does Alonso get a penalty for a dangerous part that eventually didn't come off while Perez didn't get one for a piece that did come off, especially when Magnusson has been penalised TWICE for the same fault as Perez's with the notable exception that Magnusson wing DIDN'T come apart!

Have to feel bad for Alonso after recovering that drive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Hijpo

The wing mirror did come off though didn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Killinator

Sorry, I missed that it did actually come off.

The point re Perez still stands though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

My thoughts exactly, If the team are happy the car is safe, and the stewards don’t spot anything at the time, despite the amount of cameras at the circuit, then how could Alpine even know it’s an issue?!?

It’s not as if he’d gotten a warning about it during the race!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

The stewards were on to RB about Checos front wing, RB sent them photos of the wing so the stewards were happy that it was only the piece that broke off that was the damaged part of the wing unlike Kmags wing in previous races and that's why he got flagged for it

I was talking about Alonsos pen for the mirror. I don’t think the stewards were into the team at all about it! (Open to correction)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Me too or even 10.

Just seen some great news that the GAA have ended there broadcasting with Sky Sports. Some good things do happen.

Now if only F1 would see sense and do the same.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

He should have been called in as it was flapping around for a good while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Seems to have been upon reflection after the race. 😐

• Advertisement

I agree he should have been! The issue I have is that he wasn’t so didn’t, and got penalised after (wasn’t it because HAAS complained?)

Haas complained about Checo and Alonso because Kmag had to pit 3 times this season over front wing damage. The stewards said Checos wing was safe but gave Alonso a 10 second stop go penalty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Hijpo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

It's an odd rule when you think about it. Checo's front wing was unsafe because there was a bit that might fall off. But then it fell off pretty quickly, so was safe again. Whereas Alonso's was unsafe because of the mirror that held on for much longer but did eventually go.

If they were being treated equally to how Haas were, then the red bull would have avoided penalty (didn't the bit come off within a lap or so?) but Alonso would have gotten the meatball flag. But it's harsh when thinking about it that the fault was with race control but Alonso loses out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭shanec1928

A lot of it has to do with other drivers complaining, i don't think there was anyone close to perez at the time, whereas one of the times with kmag ocon was on the radio flagging it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Just a few thoughts after the weekend.

The race showed us what we're missing without Hamilton being able to challenge Max. It's fairly clear that they're head and shoulders the best 2 drivers on the grid, and the sport would be in a much better place if they both get put in well-matched cars.

Have to say that I felt bad for Mick after the race. The team, for I don't know how many weeks now in a row, completely messed his race up with awful pitting strategy. Didn't make sense for them to pit him when they did and he was looking good for points for most of the race. He's fighting for his place but it seems as if Haas are determined for him not to do well.

The Alonso penalty was a farce. He could and probably should have won driver of the day after what he did, and I don't see why he's penalised for a mistake on the FIA's and his team's part.

The penalty for taking someone out of a race needs to be a lot harsher. 5 seconds is ridiculous. And this isn't aimed at Russell.

Speaking of Russell though, he's turning into a bit of a wrecking ball. Always blames the other driver too.

And Vettel still has it. Plenty of people doubting him this year, but he's done well in the car that he's been given, and like with Mick, the team always seems to make it very difficult for him.

Tsunoda had an excellent race going from p19 to p10 on actual pace, he probably would have finished higher he wasn't stuck behind Gasly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

The AM car was quite good this weekend. Stroll was doing ok until, well, you know!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Russell has had quite a few incidents indeed this season. 6 or 7 and the penalties have either been very lenient or non existent.

The Gasly penalty was also a joke. I've watched some onboards from the SC periods on Social media and about 12 different drivers dropped back way over the 10 car lengths and only Gasly was penalised.

• Advertisement

Brundle even said that on commentary if you went back through the grid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Seeing this after the race, he put in some performance. For it to be taken away like that as well is very cruel. But they call F1 the piranha club for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Certainly casts a poor reflection. Or it would if there was a mirror.

I'll be honest, I thought it was something more critical when the penalty got applied. Hearing it's just a flying wing mirror (which is still dangerous flying towards a helmet at high speed) it does seem overkill.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I don't actually have a problem with the Alonso penalty.

However, I do have a problem when it's only applied to him and not to other drivers who had bits of carbon fibre fly off their cars when they should have been forced to replace them.

It's equally as dangerous whether it's a wing mirror or an end plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

And Alonso gets his 7th place back. Probably the right call in retrospect, but what a shambles from the FIA

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement