Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Would one of the logs themselves not do to chop on?

I usually don't chop on a block, just crack them on the ground as they sit. You get a longer swing and more power into the block when it's closer to the ground as opposed to sitting higher on top of a chopping block

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I split them on the ground myself as said above you hat a batter swing, never used a block but I’ve seen others use one of the bigger logs as a block

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Chopping blocks are a Godsend, but a pain in the hoop to get. You need someone with a chainsaw and a half metre length of good thick trunk. Awkward to get to your garden, but will last for years. A tree surgeon would be my first stop, or maybe a local Council park depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Anybody have suggestions for good value kiln dried logs in Dublin?

I saw a bag in Aldi two weeks for €5.49 - https://groceries.aldi.ie/en-GB/ALDIIE/p-irish-firewood-logs-25l-burn-glow/4088600416991 - which seemed very cheap compared to Woodies [https://tinyurl.com/yc68xpx2]. Has anybody tried them?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Personally Id give Aldi or Lidl logs a wide berth as they are not hardwood but softwood and they burn very quickly, you are throwing a new log on the fire every 20 minutes and suddenly the bag is all gone, there is only around 3 hours burning in a full bag. Also Ive bought bags there in the past which were literally wet wood as they had been left out in the rain meaning they burn smoky with very little heat. The same situation goes for petrol stations, it is largely poor quality softwood they sell and is best avoided until they up their game.

The Stafford logs from Woodies are kiln dried and hardwood but christ that price of 15.99 a bag is eye watering, I cant remember exactly but last winter the price for the same bag was somewhere around 9 or 10 euro.

If you cant buy a crate of kiln dried hardwood and can only buy the small bags then last winter Dunnes had a bag of kiln dried birch for sale from this company mulch.ie They are not yet back in stock but should be at the end of October. I burnt them for 3-4 weeks at the tail end of last winter and they were very decent, price was 7.99 a bag but will likely be more this winter. If doing this PM me and I'll show you a way to get 30% off every purchase, I was buying 4 bags for 32 quid and then using a voucher to reduce that down to 22 quid so it worked out very well for the final few weeks of the winter when my supply had run out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Fishdoodle

I tried a bag from Lidl -they cost about €4.80 , nice and dry but the softwood burned quite quickly. Wasn't too upset as I'm running in a new stove and didn't want it too hot until the paint vapor disappears. Couldn't resist buying a few bags in Aldi today until I buy decent hardwood. The aldi logs I got had some dampness in them - not good at all, more smoke than fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Rang up Premium Pellets to order over the phone and said I need to do it via website. I asked them when can they deliver if order today. They said they cannot give times as they use another courier company in Dublin office.

WFH but not always but don't want to get home and dumped outside the house.

What's user experience in relation to delivery and them calling to say they are on their way?

i was called the afternoon before delivery and given a time of delivery and the driver also text me on the day of delivery to let me know he was 20 minutes away, i was waiting about ten days from checkout

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Pistachio

I ordered pinkay ecologs from Premium pellets, they were delivered to Galway within a couple of days but no email or text, the truck just showed up with the delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭gillamandango

How you finding them? Thinking of getting a pallet myself as have no joy getting the Thorntons ones.

• Advertisement

Talking of fuel - anyone care to comment on what is the better value for a non boiler stove:

2 x (1.16m3) Oak €690 vs 960Kg Nestro Heat Logs €630 vs 960Kg Pini Kay Briquettes €730

The Oak does sound appealing with the reviews so far, even at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Pistachio

Great @gillamandango, half pallet was 58 packs although I thought it would be 48. I counted them 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Got the order today and they rang to say be with us in an hour. Just on a pallet and had to bring them in through the house myself. Now looking for something to cover them up as have some storage but not enough for them all

Now to get some kindling to get fire started

Finally got a call back from the distributor for the Thorntons ones, currently €7.90 retail, €7.60 for a pallet delivered. Not sure its worth it for the €40 saving considering they may drop if price of Gas drops. Was buying same packs for €5.50 back in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭snor

I wasn’t called at all. Like you, wfh, on a zoom when I spot the massive lorry coming into my tiny estate!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Kilteragh

I started buying Kiln-dried beech last Xmas after we got a new stove. Got two orders of 450Kg for around €220 at the time. One from TJ O'Mahony's and one a couple of months later from Stakelums. Very happy with both orders. Price has gone up by €100 since and you need to add delivery on top.

I was in the Co-op in Raheen in Limerick on Sunday and they had 10kg boxes of the same stuff for €7.49 but buy 5 and get the 6th free, making the net 10kg cost €6.24. If I was to buy 450kg of it this way it would add up to €280.

Strange that the small unit price ends up being so much better than bulk. Also each 10kg comes in a cardboard box so easy to transport and less mess in the garage I would imagine. I'm thinking of buying 120kg worth as my existing stock is running out. Am I missing anything on why this is turning out to be such a good deal versus bulk buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Ya I got the TJ O'Mahonys 450kg of beech a couple of months ago for 300, up to 320 now. Was 200 1 year ago.

Ended up picking up 1m3 (x2) of an Ash/Oak kiln dried pallet mix, looks mainly Ash. Burns good and was €245 a piece, would say based on the weight about 425-450Kg. Based in Clare.

Birch (looked a slightly bigger pallet) was €270 but burns too fast imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭herrdood

Hi,

Does look better value when bought in the boxes. Is that offer still on though? Haven't seen it advertised this year.

HD

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Kilteragh

• Advertisement

I'm looking to order a first crate of logs for a new stove. The premium pellets logs seem like the best value for oak. then I found this supplier

celticlogs.ie

For a 1.4 cubic metres (unstacked) kiln-dried logs in a jumbo bulk bag it costs €295 inc delivery. It mixed hardwood (Oak, Ash, Beech and Birch.)

...Vs €350 for 1.16 cubic metre (stacked), Oak with Premium Pellets.

Any thoughts on this? Do oak logs work out better value than mixed hardwood (burn time) or is it much the same?

Here's a pic from the celtic logs website - seems a decent sized bag ...more than the caddy van could handle anyhow ;-)

1. bagged wood vs stacked in a crate is not a good comparison, you are buying air in the bag because they are loaded in loosely
    2. oak vs mixed wood it’s up to you but I prefer oak as I feel they burn longer and will pay extra for it and was lucky to even get some this season.

just my 2 cents worth

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

Thanks, longer burn time makes a difference (though would be interesting to find out the difference in burn time). Prob little between the volume given the air-gaps as you mention 👍

Any alternatives on wood , I'm open to suggestions 🙂

Get the packed crate from premium pellets or the boxes mentioned from the co-op if you have one in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

So with unstacked bags of firewood you can assume 30% is fresh air so the 1.4m3 is equivalent to just under 1m3 stacked for 295 euro. Pro rata that works out at 342 if it was 1.16m3 like the oak crates. So there is basically 8 euros in the difference between the two when adjusted for an equal quantity of 1.16m3. So with that in mind Id go for the oak crate everytime as it burns hotter and longer compared to being mixed in with beech and birch. You can find charts online of various hardwoods comparing their densities, calorific value etc and oak & ash are well up there in terms of heat output and how long they burn.

Plus the bag of mixed hardwoods might only be 10% oak, 10% ash and then 80% beech & birch, you just dont know because they dont say. So for me the crate of oak wins out plus you can chop up and burn the crate as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭gudede

Might be the wrong place but what harm.

I’m looking to get replacement fire plates/bricks for my Contura 51L.

any recommendations? Every website seems to be uk based.

That's a great comprehensive breakdown - thanks for that M! Will go with the recommendations, and oak it is. -I'm presuming when the truck arrives they'll wheel it into a garage ...hopefully they'll give me a heads-up so I'll be home.

BTW, I returned the bags of softwood logs I bought to Aldi -I had white bin liners wrapped around the net bags as my car was clouding up like a rainforest with the moisture (I had 2 bags left in the boot overnight). Won't be getting logs from there again & lesson learned.

You can find charts online of various hardwoods

Another Boardsie 'The Continental Op' posted up an excel sheet on another thread. It's based on https://www.charnwood.com/news/best-firewood-to-burn-chart-uk/ (Will send him a PM as I can't seem to quote accross threads).

... he mentioned Sycamore as only ok when dried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Not a bargain but some interesting comment on how wood burning in Europe is increasing and prices going up.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement