Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Coverage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Let’s see who shows the games before jumping to those conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

What you mean? Lots of games last year were only on GAA Go.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,698 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Excellent. Hated games stuck behind a paywall.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Well they may still end up behind the GAAGO paywall.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Butson

I thought Sky's coverage was really good. Liked the Saturday evening games and despite the cribbing about being behind a paywall, it hardly broke the bank. Mostly these were games that RTE would never have shown historically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Sky basically got TV3/ Virgin package in 2014, its been reported Virgin have no interest in the rights this time with is a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Whats to stop RTE getting these games?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

One big wrinkle is that GAAGO is a joint GAA and RTE project.

"Another major contributor to the profits of the RTE commercial arm was its sales of GAA matches internationally through its 50-50 joint venture with the GAA.

The RTE doubled its profits from the joint venture last year increasing from €237,000 to €536,000.

GAAGo is aimed at an international market and at the Irish diaspora around the world, featuring over 100 live and on demand games over the year.

Last year, joint venture firm, GAAGO Media DAC increased its revenues by 43 per cent to €2.86m as its profits almost doubled from €550,000 to €1.04 million. "

https://www.breakingnews.ie/entertainment/rte-commercial-arm-cashes-in-on-success-of-kin-and-gaago-1375877.html

I presume GAAGo made the GAA the same profit as RTE with it being a 50:50 venture so €536k for 2021 and €237k for 2020. Not to be sniffed at but smll enough peanuts compared to the Sky deal. Also I wonder how those numbers will hold up for this year.

I didn't bother renewing my annual membership for this years as there were a lot less games on for Irish viewers compared to 2021 when it had a lot of league games.

Also in terms of other sporting organisations - the ladies footballers had every leagus and championship played available to watch and I think pretty much all the League of Ireland games that weren't shown FTA were available.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

They may not want them - going from 2.5/3 games a week to 4/4.5 games a week may stretch their resources and not necessarily bring in much extra advertising revenue. Perhaps if they were offered free or cheap, but that isn't what the GAA would want.

It's arguably a more valuable slate of games for a station which doesn't have any, which to an extent is why they had value for Sky and before them TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭shmeee

Nothing...But they won't. Cost number 1 factor and they might have to remove the big big movie on a Saturday night and cause outrage on Social Media to be able to schedule the 16 extra games. Along with the love of the egg ball they show. Can't just have sport on all weekends is what RTE will come back with.

If RTE really wanted / want them, they'd be going out of their way for the rights.

TG4 don't have the funding you'd imagine, Virgin have scooped in on mid week soccer and rugby at present. But they have changed hands since they last had GAA so may show some interest again.

And other than that, no real player will come in, Premier Sports is in the middle of a takeover / re-brand and mainly is aimed towards the UK market now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭CaboRoig

One thing that strikes me is that some "big" games over the past few years were exclusively on Sky. Provincial finals and All-Ireland quarter finals IIRC.

As a non Sky customer who can't be arsed getting set up with IPTV or dodgy boxes or whatever thery're called, I'm greedily hoping that RTE or some other FTA broadcaster gets those games.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Sky always had two football quarter finals, not sure about provincial finals.

The Belfast Telegraph are reporting that the BBC are looking to broadcast finals and semifinals network wide, not just on BBC NI.

But there definitely are a shortage of takers for non RTE games.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,537 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

A lot of folk here seem to think the Sky coverage of Sky GAA games was good.

I don’t think so, I thought it was poor.

In my opinion it did little to enhance the GAA product

Cameras seemed to be set at too low and especially hurling with the ball ‘against ‘ the Sky impossible to see it.

RTE have much more experience in this regard,,gantry cameras which have the ball against the grass and the stands much better.

Not much thought put into it I would opine, from Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Avon8

So it looks as if nobody's picking up the games. RTE showing the exact same number as last year, and some going to GAA Go. Even though we've a large number of extra high profile games in next year's football championship. Farcical

People will still be delighted that big bad Sky are gone however, even when they're paying a tenner per game to load up a jumpy stream that's 90 seconds behind real time. I wonder how elderly rural people will manage with GAA Go, seeing as that used to be the argument thrown against Sky repeatedly

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Looks like the sky sports whingers have gotten what they wanted.

14 less games televised a season now. Enjoy stumping up a tenner to watch a shite stream now

People who weren't happy with Sky having the rights aren't the reason Sky ended their agreement so I don't know why you're having a go at them.

This isn't a good outcome, an RTE monopoly isn't good which this essentially is, at least they'll have a 2nd highlights show.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,537 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The GAA should be very careful here.

whatever product they put out it needs to have standards.

Putting out shoddy productions which does nothing for them, just for the sake of it, is the worst thing they could possibly do.

Either do it right or don’t do it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Avon8

Any number of people online and some in media have reacted with delight that the Sky deal ended. These people will now have to watch these games on an incredibly unreliable and basic streaming service for a pricey fee

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Surely RTE will choose all the big games now and the 14 "missing" games will be the ones streamed or attended by those interested?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I have been watching sky sports via now tv for a few years and never ever paid anything like the prices you mention, usually comes in around €12-15 per month

• Registered Users Posts: 14,857 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

No it wasnt games they never showed historically.

Almost all Corks hurling games were on Sky for the last few years, it was ridiculous.

Biggest hurling county in the country with the largest support and their games on Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Butson

Anything on radio?

Madness having RTE on TV and radio - surely Off the Ball should be getting a look in here. Different, younger audience to RTE.

Ok but the vitriol from some towards them is unwarranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭shmeee

You are not making sense?

Sky got the old TV3 package, extra games which RTE may not have shown.

The championship has evolved and restructured leading to more games in Munster etc hence why Cork were on Sky for the qualifiers and Munster round robin games. Limerick have taken the mantle as the main draw in Munster, hence why RTE are attracted by their games. The rest of the counties are just trailing behind.

Well now it looks like these games are lost to GAA Go, if they even bother, GAA Go is a huge step backwards, it's not a good enough service to replace a broadcaster like sky along with paying €10 per game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Well, it depends on if the GAA are willing to allow RTE change the games/package.

e.g., if the RTE package stated just 2 AI football quarter-finals (with the other two being part of the Sky package) then presumably they will still be limited to two quarter-finals and the other two will on GAA Geo.

Would it make (commercial) sense for the GAA to allow RTE to drop earlier games and have all 4 quarter-finals? It depends I guess. The RTE package was never 'the best 30 games you could want' so why should it be so now would be the argument.

Couldn't agree more, if Sky's games are replaced with a service with no pundits just co-comm and maybe only 1 camera angle GAAGO up to now then that is a drastic step backwards.

The BBC seems to have more games under this new deal.

8 Ulster SFC matches, plus the semi-finals and final of the All Ireland. 10 Allianz League games will be on the iPlayer. Stuff on the iPlayer may only be available to NI & UK audiences, even though highlights clips of GAA matches can be viewed on the BBC Sports NI website down here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It'll likely have the one commentator (based locally) for matches that they have on the service

Like you said too, it'll be a one-camera job

Of course they land on €10 per game because it's an easy figure to pick out of the sky

Advertisement