Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lower Decks 3x09 - 'Trusted Sources' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options
  • 20-10-2022 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

Lower Decks 3x09 - 'Trusted Sources' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** } Warning: This thread will contain spoilers 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Good episode with a nice twist in in it. Nice to see some good TNG references too and to a particular episode to and what a strange ending.

I wonder are we going to find out more about one of the most mysterious races in the Star Trek Galaxy but probably not.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

This is clearly a follow up to this episode: -

I wonder what Beckett Mariner will get upto next?

Are we suppose know the character she is on the ship with? It seems like we may have seen her before, not sure?

Post edited by corkie on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

The character came up at the start of the season when Beckett had to do starfleet recruitment, she's an independent archaeologist.

This episode didn't quite work for me, I'm not really sure why. The Beckett thing was pretty obvious and it felt a small bit all over the shop. Probably since it's setting up the finale. I thought for a second that Texas class was going to be a nod to Prodigy, the ships look quite similar.

Thanks, episode 5, where you commented : -

I was wondering for a while if the archaeologist was a reference to Vash.

I got the same vibe from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I was trying to remember Vash's names when I posted, but slipped my mind!

Though actually, wouldn't that be a fun little cameo if she came back in the finale!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I expected the person that was telling all the bad stuff was going to be revealed as that other Lower Decker Mariner saw being interviewed then later joined them on the first second contact mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Wow! What-Just-Happened (TM) The Episode! 😁 That all moved so fast!

Cool random feeling twist about the Breen.

Guessing this actually is actually something to do with the Temporal Cold War like he said. ... I wouldn't object to seeing more of the Enterprise J!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Light on laughs this one, but heavy on the interpersonal drama. And it all hinges on Mariner being wrongly presumed to be her old self.

Nice to see the Breen again, that was an unexpected turn.

I'm curious as to what the whole Admiral Buenamigo angle is. Was the entire project just a setup so he could swing in and push his Texas class ships? It sure reeks of it.

Wasn't the temporal cold war guy, the same one who claimed Wolf 359 was an inside job?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭eadrom

Mixed bag of an episode. Good and interesting once the Breen showed up but even that was shifting focus away from the lower decks, and the comedy, a bit more than I'd prefer. Not bad, just maybe not as good as it has been. Bit of a trend this season.

And I think we've seen the whole Becket/Mariner conflict play out and get resolved one too many times now already. It was shockingly obvious how that would turn out and just seemed like an uninspired way for the writers to get the pieces where they want them by episode's end.

Still some good set pieces and gags throughout though. Loved Starbase 80 -- "ayy-oh, Starbase 80. Whatta ya need?" -- pity we didn't (I think?) get a shot of the exterior. And the new ships at the end were interesting I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Slow start but got good once they got to the second planet. Funny how Starbase 80 still uses original TNG com badges, though I'd have given them worn out hand helds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

It was fine. I guess California classes aren't important enough to get the anti-Breen-stun-weapon upgrade. Mariner and Will Boimler probably meet up in the finale for some payoff there. I know it's not going to happen but I'd like top see a few episodes of next season without Mariner just to see the rest making progress without someone constantly dragging them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah, would be interesting to see how the lower deckers get on without her. They all have promising careers with important mentors. I do also want to see her storyline/relationship with the archeologist.

But, eventually she will have to come back into the fold. And I wonder how that will happen. She resigned voluntarily. While one assumes that Star fleet would reassign her to the Cerritos (If only for the sake of the show). But would assume she would lose her rank.

I do hope and assume that William Boimler was just a bit of a one-off joke...... Well actually, now I think about it.... S 31 is ripe for a bit of LD skewering. Yeah actually, go for it. If only to stop that Disco spinoff...

We've seen people resign and reactivate their comissions before, Tuvok took a career break of almost a century IIRC. Mariner's an ensign she can't go any lower on the officer track and outside of punishment in very unusual circumstances, like the Equinox crew on Voyager, she wouldn't be demoted to an enlisted or NCO rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Mixed bag for me as well. The twist with Mariner getting wrongfully blamed for the news report felt a little cheap. It just felt like there were a bunch of contrivances to get Mariner off the ship. I had suspicions about the appearance of the Texas class ship as well. It made the "swing by" mission come across as a setup to unveil the new ship in front of a reporter. There were a couple of good laughs though - Rutherford arguing with the officer cleaning up the pie contest and the middle segment of the Omaran mural.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

My theory for next week: Admiral Buenamigo is the shadowy character from Rutherford's memories and the implant is connected with the automated ships.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

My money's on Badgey, Agimus and Peanut Hamper taking over the three AI ships. I doubt they got Jeffrey Combs back for the sake of the 2 lines he had in this season's appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I dunno. It's an animated show so it's not a big commitment for Jeffrey Combs to deliver two lines. He could record them anywhere. I did read an interview by Mulgrew recently where she said she refused to record lines for Prodigy at home, and insisted on going to a professional recording studio to record them. Not sure if everyone involved has the same work ethic. Even then though, it was a studio near her home and she never had to be co-located with any other voice actor so a lot less onerous than a live action take.

Cost might be an issue. Two lines or two hours in the both probably cost the same.

Voice actors in the US get a minimum rate of $451 per hour, for a single role. Of course, they could have just recorded the lines last time when they did the previous episode. They've shown some willingness to sit on some plot threads for a long time already.

History of AI in star trek doesn't bode well?

As Kovich says, “there’s a proscription against a fully sentient AI being fully integrated into Starfleet systems.” But where does that rule come from? ~~ https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/star-trek-canon-radically-changed-one-huge-ai-rule

Was watching that episode today on Legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Rawr

Kind of love how an AI ship reminiscent of Daystrom's attempt in TOS appears right after we see Agimus and Peanut Hamper imprisoned in the Institute named after him. I'm wondering if that was blatantly on-purpose, we know these writers are actual Trekkies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭JayRoc

For me Mariner kind of deserved what she got. She spent the first half of the episode being an insubordinate tone-deaf asshat and surprise, surprise, that's what she ended up being treated as. Fair enough tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well that's a part one feel of it all for sure, so kinda only have half-thoughts given we don't know how things will play. Light on comedy, and perhaps played Mariner's tone-deaf insubordination too strong such that I should have known she didn't trash talk the Cerritos.

Have to agree with others reckoning the Admiral set them up to fail - he sent them to that planet after all. He knew the Breen were there, the Cerritos would get in over its head and so require the new fancy ship's help. So I'm also guessing we'll have the double trope of a shítty Admiral and rogue AI to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I enjoyed the episode. Was good. Not great, not bad. Bit like this season really.

Am surprised our evil AI friends never appeared, but could be a season four plot.

But it's hard not to like an episode of Lower Decks. Very enjoyable and I look forward to Season 4!!

Also, delighted Badgy is back.

All Eyes On Rafah

Advertisement