Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is Dublin such a shιtty city?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Soz buddy, beg to differ……

And I’m not going any rabbit holes.

Apologies an all that….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Well you'd be wrong ,

Oxford street is crime ridden but that is no surprise with the amount off foot fall that happens there daily .

Champs -ELyess is the same & has had all kinds of problems form terrorist attacks, to violent crime & armed robberies ,A few years ago it was 2nd most likely place to be pick pocketed in Paris (not sure right now)

My point is all big City have problems & ours are pretty tame in comparisons to other big ones, its just because we live here we notice them more,

No rabbit holes involved,

Simply what makes it our main street ?

It's not in footfall, not in traffic, not in shops, not in restaurants, not in pubs ,

Its not our main street & it isn't hasn't been for a very long period for time ,

Historically yes , today or yesterday nope

Some good points there in fairness.

Its our ‘Main Street’ because people perceive it to be our Main Street.

Not for its facilities and commercial value .

Whats needed is to re establish it as an area which lives up to its designation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

They can't spell so.

Edit: been a bit of a dick there sorry. Need to rain in my smart arse replies.

The public jacks removal helped the street.

Also, always loved that area, but the ruination of the area was changing fibbers. It's kinda clean now.

So now you've pivoted in this thread from chicken man to spelling Nazi.

Still don’t get your comment on spelling , could you expand?

while we are in the mood it’s ‘rein in’ you know, like the horse…reins….. got it?

• Advertisement

I know! Delicious isn't it!

You said main street in Dublin. And the only one I know called that is in tallaght village(probably others). Crap post from me, but I'll leave it there as a lesson to others.

You know well what the boy is on about.

You’d do much better if you cut out that crud.

Still don't get the chicken comment.

I edited my comment and replied to you.

I didn’t have anything to do with the chicken comment?

Why are you getting involved then?

Back to Dublin being crap and a zombie warzone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

gen z going on about how awful dublin is they dont know the half of it. dublin in the 80s was full old buildings falling down,empty buildings ,parts of the city looked like a war zone, this was before the 90s when developers started to build modern office buildings and expensive apartments . ireland is now in the top 20 countrys if you go by wealth ,investments .eg its regarded as a rich country .some people seem to love criticizing dublin, as if theres no homeless people or junkies in berlin or london.We are still in the eu, meanwhile britain is falling into economic chaos due to the decision to leave the EU

look on youtube dublin in the 80s ,dublin docks , it looks awful compared with the modern city we have now

We have a housing crisis, yes theres lots of homeless people around the city centre, theres also junkies hanging around too,but its easy to avoid them, Every city has a problem now, what are we going to do with dozens of empty buildings, 1000 s of people are working from home, its not viable to have large empty office buildings unused , will they converted into apartments or maybe spaces for music, theatres, cultural events.theres still new offices being built, its ridiculous to judge dublin by the o.1 per cent who use drugs .there are empty retail units even on grafton street, since the pandemic more people have switched to working online and buying clothes ,other items online.there are still people who cannot get vaxxed for medical reasons and will probably stay away from crowded shopping centres for years .

theres plenty of people who go to pubs, cafes ,clubs every day and are not going out into some imaginary warzone ,

i,m not an global crime expert , but i dont think dublin is any more dangerous than paris,london , or new york city .

• Advertisement

Never understood the generation letters, so googled it. I'm generation x. I like the letter x.

I agree with you, but it was normal at the time. In someways I think they have it harder in the social side of the house now.

Bad enough trying to figure crap out 30 years ago without having mobiles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ok I'm going to let of a bit of steam here. Has anyone got off the bus at Bachelor's Walk? The other week I took the bus to the city as I used to do regularly pre Covid. Anyway I couldn't get off the effin bus! Not a chance, the pavement near the Chapel is so narrow that pedestrians going about their business could only walk in single file (there are steps along there up to buildings and encroach the pavement), and it was jammed solid. There is not enough room there for people walking not to mind those waiting for and alighting from the large number of buses that pull in there. It's mad.

Pity they didn't move some of the bus stops back nearer to the Winding Stair area. But that would have made a lot of sense. Just something relatively small that impacts on the quality of a trip/commute to the city. And breathe.....

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CaptainTeebs

I've an honest question and I'm hoping somebody can provide me with an answer.

Can anybody present me with statistics, facts, reports and so on that show that Dublin city centre is more violent, unsafe, dangerous than it was 10, 20, 30, 40 years ago?

Not just "open your eyes" hysteria, I mean actual studies.

Because statistically rates of things like murder (femicide in particular but also gangland murders), car theft and teen heroin use have largely been on a downward slide since the 90s and the first decade of this century.

That's despite our population jumping 50% since the mid 90s. In 2021 we had 94 prisoners per 100,000 people, today we have 74.

So to me it seems an outlier that while society has generally gotten safer Dublin has become more dangerous.

Is there any online reviews by tourists vowing never to come back or are these hell in a handbasket hyperbole coming from locals?

Perhaps because tourists are used to worse conditions and far more volatile street people and less police in their home cities of San Fran, Vancouver, Paris and Sydney?

Also, over 3000 people have been arrested in the city centre in the last year inj patrols tackling anti social conduct, whicn puts paid to this bizarre notion that Dublin is not well policed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It’s not the whole city a lot of it is nice, the problem is O Connell street and surrounding area.

If people don’t accept that there is a problem then it will never improve. You won’t see junkies hassling people or homeless people begging on the Champs-Elysee, I walked down it 2 weeks ago. There’s a visible police presence too which is sorely lacking in Dublin.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

They can’t, because it isn’t.

Then they’ll tell you more people aren’t arrested because crime is ignored. Even though people are still being arrested for violent crime.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

When you look at the state of Dublin, the quays are a disgrace of dereliction, low maintenance and lack of pride. The buildings are dirty and grimy. Newer apartment blocks are falling apart, The streets are dirty and full of litter. There are empty sites from demolished buildings, half renovated and abandoned projects. O'Connell street has had a lot of focus since the RTE program, but it's not just O'Connell street. Absent landlords, developers hoarding properties, lack of overall strategic planning, lack of investment in public space, eroding of amenities. Even a simple walk through Dublin city looking for a public toilet highlights how bad a city it is. Eye sores everywhere, the old Carlton cinema site, the Ormond Hotel site, Moore street, Moore lane, Henry lane, North Lotts, Bachelors lane to name a few - all these places are a disgrace in a supposed major city.

The drugs and begging menace, that is a social issue separate from the physical condition of Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

While Dubliners recognise the city’s issues with theft, a recent survey by the European Commission also shows that Dublin’s public transport is considered to be much safer than that of the average European city. And is Dublin safe at night? Well, 75% of respondents said they feel secure walking the streets after dark too.

Another survey also showed that Dublin ranks 15th on a list of the 100 safest cities for international students. Positive evaluations helped the city earn its ranking.

Maybe the Garda & powers are happy to have them in & around O'Connell street,

As i said the street isn't really used for anything these days anyway & is a big open wide area so easier to keep an eye on the,

Much better to have them there than up on Grafton street / Dawson /Wicklow street or the other street that people actually use,

Every major City has problem area's in the City centre ,

Unfortunately it what people do ,

I’d agree with this. The junkies and beggars on O Connell street are more of an annoyance than a real threat. It still looks bad though.

I know, you're obviously intelligent. But there's people that look around them and think the earth is flat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Floppybits

It seems the whole of the northside of the City Centre has been let fall into decay. I remember what it is was like in the 80's and early to mid 90's and it wasn't pretty then either. There were a lot of the old tenement buildings still standing, barely, and in the early to mid 90's these were all knocked down and new apartments built but then you have the flat complexes that were built in the 40's and 50's, I think I could be wrong, and that is where the problems are coming from and they are all within a stones throw of O'Connell Street.

every city has junkies and beggars ,the thing that annoys me is random person coming up to me and asking for a euro, if a beggar wants to sit down with a cup in front of asking for money thats ok. i have never found any beggar remotely threatening . most of the time you cannot tell a homeless person from a junkie, unless they are obviously under the influence of drugs . its easy to avoid junkies stay away from back streets ,lanes where they hang out.

Why the fchuhrke should you.

Never read such a heap of waffle.

The main thoroughfare and environs of our capital city held to ransom by around 100 scrotes.

Have we no enough pride and foresight to clear them out.

I was in Sydney for a bit. Police foot patrols are essentially non existant.

You know what else is non existent? Security guards, aside from supermarkets and electronics stores (preventing shoplifting, basically).

It isn't uncommon to see people passed out in/ openly injecting drugs in McDonald's on Sydney's George St (their O'Connell equivalent, except length wise goes from our docks to about Christchurch).

No security at takeaways and people openly injecting indoors is unthinkable in Dublin, regardless of media scaremongering.

And from what I gather San Fran and Vancouvner in particular are beset with similar issues.

Half of these people were likely born and grew up and still reside within a 10 minute walk of OCS. How do we go about banning people from their own neighbourhood so some day trippers from Mullingar can feel better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Floppybits

That's the problem in a nutshell, they all live a stones throw from O'Connell Street. In other cities living that close to the city centre would cost an arm and a leg.

I cycle around dublin every day. Most days. I never see drug users. Most hostels are located around the city centre. Soup kitchens are located around the city centre. Homeless people can easily get free food every day. I think most people are busy

They dont. Even notice homeless people unless they are begging. asking for money

From what I read new york san fran los angeles usa have a much more serious problem with crime and homeless people and drug users in city centre areas. You can look at any city in europe. Theres probably x per cent of people who use illegal drugs

I dont think dublin city is worse than london or berlin in regard to homeless people

The main problem I see is we need more gardai on the streets walking around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Saw a guy get kicked unconscious on oconnell Bridge at 8.30pm earlier. Started with a row outside o'carrolls then proceeded to the road. The guy being attacked was knocked to the ground then the attacker kicked his head like a football for another 20- 30 seconds. Few jumps on his head for good measure. Traffic stopped on the quays while this happened, by standers and tourists looking on agog. Eventually someone grabbed the attacker and restrained him, the guy attacked motionless on the road. He seemed to come around but it was a vicious and sustained attack. On the main street in out capital City. Not a single guard to be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If you were in the city centre, how many people would you have to ask before you had answer from a thousand Irish people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

since i've been in London this time round, there have been stabbings on oxford, an attempted car jacking recently, kids ransacking shops etc. the east side of oxford st is full of **** american candy stores and phone accessory shops, on a par with our own o'connell st. the selfridges end is nice enough though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Classy dog whistling. At least own your convictions and be direct about what you think

In case anyone missed the implication: Dublin is over run by foreigners, destroying the city.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Paris and London have social housing right in the centre of the city too. Soho even has social housing flats and you see loads around the Southbank and Waterloo and even in Chinatown. I used to think social housing in the middle of a city centre was only a Dublin thing but you see it everywhere here in London, even in really posh places like St. John's Wood and Notting Hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Are you reporting live from Oxford St Monk? 🤣

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

London Fields in Hackney. Very desirable area nowadays but it's still full of loonies around the park. Last week I saw armed police with machine guns jumping out to arrest a guy waving a knife around. I really think the hyperbole around Dublin is crazy, an addict asking you for some change is a product of a society and if you're concerned about it then focus on fixing society not brushing these people under the carpet elsewhere.

Funnily enough yesterday around the corner from here a homeless bloke with a Dublin accent asked me for change while I was having a coffee outside somewhere, felt bad for him as I rarely have cash on me these days so couldn't help him.

I was in Sidney too. I absolutely loved it and considered moving there. The beach, park, city & outdoor lifestyle I have in Dublin would transfer perfectly and there's a cracking food culture there too. But I actually preferred to stay in Dublin for a few reasons, family being one, but Dublin as a city wins for me, it just has a bit more soul and maturity to it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

While doing some historical research, I came across complaints about Dublin being a poor place to live dating from the 10th Century. So complaining about Dublin has a long tradition.

Dublin city centre is overun by foreigners and it's destroyed whatever unique charectar it had left. 😎

I'm up there with Jem Connolly when it comes to dog whistling

"If you are proud of the children who responded to the call of their country, and passed unheeded the seductions of the tyrant, then bestir yourselves to win for them a right to live in that country, a right to enjoy its beauties, and revel in its abundance, irrespective of the wishes of any employer or landlord. "

That was undoubtedly someone dog whistling becauase they were unhappy that the Vikings had made the town centre more vibrant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

• Advertisement

I think you're reaching a bit there Dyr, most foreigners I know pay a lot more tax than you do. Regarding the O'Connell quote, I'm sure he wouldn't like his words to be misrepresented & twisted like that. You sound like the tyrant in this case! You're the classic British National front boy "lord of the land", the native that wants it all for himself! "Get rid of those Johnny Foreigners.... Britain for the British!!"

Advertisement