Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempting to destroy famous paintings because fossil fuels

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭mufflets2

Have you seen the film "Dont look up"

It would be a great help in explaining this - so

1, No one destroyed any art work they are protected by glass

2 this was done in order to draw attention to something that the activists believe is more important that paintings - namely that our use of fossil fuels is

destroying this planet that we are living on.

3 I suggest that they were very effective since a lot more people are now talking about the impending climate disaster and learning things like the fact that renewables is the cheapest way to make electricity

Just go see the film

That was a reply to B.A. Baracus not you - are you his spokesperson?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,364 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's a public forum and that wasn't a PM - and this is a reply to you: now can ypu answer the questions or not?

Why does it have to.be art and culture OR the planet?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

of course i am and it was highly effective at drawing attention to the impending disaster. I take it you dont in which case maybe you could answer

1 You dont think that the destruction of the planet is important enough to cause a fus about?

2 You dont believe the science?

3 You fear for the safety of the glass covering the pictures?

Some other vreason?

PS have you seen the film Dont look up ?

and I am looking forward to hearing your suggestion to putting a stop to the destruction of the planet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You pretty much confirmed it now so haha. There's always at least one person per thread.

Man, I've been using boards.ie too much to pick up on this shite.

• Advertisement

Ill take that as a no !

you probably have been using boards too much

- go watch a film - I suggest "Dont look up" on netflix its gass

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Of all the movies you could have lead with... seriously? lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

No,

most people are talking about what a pair of wánkers they are. As you can see from this thread, it’s not a debate about climate change.

the whole artwork wasn’t behind glass from the angles we see as the gold frame seems unprotected.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There are climate protests in Japan. There probably won't be so many in China given that it's a totalitarian dictatorship

No art has actually been damaged in these protests by the way.

It's hilarious how climate change deniers are losing their mind over this. They must be doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,829 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If throwing paint at paintings does anything to save the planet then you and your friends are wasting your time. It won't work but you'd have to be some pea-brained idiot to believe it will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It's keeping climate change in the news when the fossil fuel 8ndustry would love for everything to just go back to normal so they can continue to make obscene profits while ruining our biosphere for future generations

I've seen "Don't Look Up" but I dont remember any ego-driven confusing protests that had nothing to do with their cause...?

Ok ill try to explain this slowly -

it is not a choice between the planet or the pictures, you dont get one if you loose the other one.

The protesters used the pictures (which were not damaged - the pictures are still there) to create a fuss and draw peoples attention to a very important issue about the plannet that we are living on

they threw soup (removable) on the paintings to get people talking about what is going to happen if we keep using fossil fuels - that being that we will destroy this plannet

When people talk about things such as this they learn things like renewables is the cheapest way to make electricity and they realise what is going on and many may push for change

Now do you understand?

Have you seen "Dont look up"

People have to stay warm and travel to work surely. What are the alternatives for a man with 6/7 children who works in the city but has no public transport to get to his job? Does he sit at home in the cold and live on weeds?

You did mention **** - and you should speak for yourself .🤣

Did you know that Renewables was the cheapest way to make electricity before I told You?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Consumerism is destroying the planet not art.

🙈🙉🙊

watch it again - slowly - and read my extensive answer to your previous question

and get back if you still dont understand ok.

Well - their aim was to get people talking about the issue.

still reckon its not working.

Who has the pea brain now?.🤣

did you at least learn that renewables is the cheapest way to make electricity?

Yeah, I'm aware of all that and rhe connection between soup and protected art is still vague at best, but this doesn't explain why you're saying things like 'isn't the planet more important?' in tones that imply we have to sacrifice one.

Why attack art even if the point is not to destroy it? Why not throw soup at the perpetrators?

Believe me, I'm all for protest aNd activism BUT only where there is a direct connection between the activism and the cause - which is simply not the case here. Its mindless and pointless, raises NO discussion OF THE ISSUE and is based purely on ego.

They should eiither do it properly or not waste their time.

Pass - it was good but that not good.

if it was that good, how come no ones thrown a can of soup over it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Honestly, i think hes just a wum on a wind up tbh.

I mean Netflix alone its worth looking at something like Youth V Gov which shows what real activisim actually is or even "kiss the ground" which again shows people trying to make some real changes. These are real people making real changes, not social media attention whores but hey whos heard of them??

But then again these people didnt become social media legends because of their actions which is really all their interested in, clicks and likes attention whores who in reality are achieving nothing but putting people off the message theyre trying to get out there.

For effective climate change amongst the populace you need to change the culture, you dont change culture by attacking culture, to bring real change you bring people on a journey with you, you dont do that by pissing people off, basic human psychology tells you that but hey im sure theyre "tik tok" legends at this stage whilst doing nothing but harm to the cause at hand, and people cant even see that.

Today they attacked and spray painted 55 Tufton st, good on them, that actually garners support from people because it attacks the actual source of these issues, not a feckin "monet" in an art museum

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

If anything these protesters are just telling us that the world ISN'T worth saving.

We are discussing the issue right now and I am learning stuff and maybe you are too.

When I say the plannet is more important what I mean is that of the two issues being discussed the destruction of the plannet and the protection of the glass covering paintings - the first one is more important / critical er / holds more importance - in the discussion not that i want paintings destroyed for the plannet.

You are correct it is better if there is a direct connection - however it is far far more important to grab headlines in order to get people talking and hopefully effect change - so if there is not an obvious connection that does not mean it was unsuccessfull - remember the point was to draw attention to the issue and so it doesnt have to be directly connected to be successfull

Many people are talking about what happened - many are pearl clutching and "outraged" at the damage to the glass but many more especially younger people are asking and being told why the protesters felt that they needed to do this and realising that we could be all in the shxt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

When are the protestors being arrested, charged and sentenced for the damage caused and when will they be compensating the various institutions for the clean up and any subsequent loss of income due to closure or partial closure while the clean up took place?

I cant answer your questions but I have a few for you

Is climate change real? Is it important? Why?

Thats the point you appear to be missing: we're not against the cause - we're not even discussing the cause - we are against the protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

😊 you are being a bit ridiculous now, your post makes zero sense.

the lesson here for you is, that you don’t damage property, that does not belong to you… for the cause…smash up your own property, throw paint over your TV and good china, and burn your beano comics… sure video it and put it on YouTube, go for it. ⭐️

but if everyone who perceived that they had a point to make, an axe to grind or a cause to draw attention to.. just went around damaging other peoples property, be it artwork, furniture, cars, property of any kind… all of a sudden it’s a very malevolent, dangerous, scummy, unfair and stone age backwards world…. So yeah…

because … climate change ? I know ! Let’s attack, damage or wreck stuff that people enjoy ! 😏 it sounds ridiculous, boneheaded and backwards, because it is.

I'm still no wiser.

All i know is that some godshytes threw paint over a famous painting somewhere.to highlight climate change.I wonder if they do any work ie cleaning up their areas, streams etc but I really don't think so. You don't get to be a warrior that way it seems.

WE are not everyone - for every 10 pearl clutchers I think that they will be happy with one new serious supporter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Advertisement