Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Oh right....it's like that.

Playing the poor mouth and pointing out that we have a much lower budget than the other irish provinces is not the same thing.

Maybe some "self awareness" on your side wouldn't go amiss either: munster are bringing in these players to cover for players developed by Ulster and Leinster respectively so us taking "fully developed senior players" does not seem to be something restricted to one province but one that three provinces on this island adopt. I'd also argue this is the first year that is the case, up to now we've been taking in guys that wouldn't fit into the fully developed bracket, which is a welcome improvement.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Lol wait till I tell Stephen Archer he's a leinster developed player.

Also note the medical joker player is a Munster developed player as well.

As for the rest of your post, you've said nothing of substance. The fact you've a lower budget is because you have much lower income. Simple business economics. However I doubt you'll find anyone who could argue against that of all provinces connacht get the largest percentage of their funding from the IRFU. That funding is significantly added to by the tournament and tv income brought in by the other three provinces.

Lol wait until I tell you where salanoa is from. Or Knox. Hint: neither is munster.

As for saying nothing of substance I'll take your word for it as you appear to be quite the authority. When your contribution is Connacht generate less revenue than the other provinces that's real insightful stuff. Think I might pass it on the the connacht branch. If they knew this they might just.....earn more money, why have they never thought of that before?!?!? If only we had known about Syd from the internet before we'd be drowning in euros!

Anyway; this conversation has become as tiresome as someone who would troll on an rugby forum so I'll leave it there.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You're the whinger, not me

You obviously don't know who Ryan is coming in as cover for, so you really don't know what you're talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Reading through the eligibility regulations, from what I can make out John Porch cannot gain eligibility to represent Ireland for the Olympics 7's, International 7's or International 15's.

Under 8.7 as he has represented Australia at the Olympics (thus captured by Australia under 8.4(b) and therefore ineligible for 15's or 7's with Ireland under 8.2) already he cannot swap to represent Ireland's Olympic team as he wasn't born in Ireland (8.1(a)) nor does he have a parent or grandparent from Ireland (8.1(b)).

Andy Friend was mistaken, the 5 year residency regulation would only count if he were not already captured.

It would only have required a 3-year stand-down to transfer to Ireland if he'd have had a parent or grandparent from Ireland.

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I think Pat Lam gave us Connacht fans a bit of a complex regarding medical jokers when he went public regarding the IRFU refusing to allow his son to play for free during an injury crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Documentary on Connacht going to be premiering on November 3rd on RTE, seems to be sponsored by Redbull and called Relentless: The Connacht Way

https://twitter.com/redbullIRE/status/1584847081499496448

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

But that would mean there is no 7s Olympic loophole. When the IRB signed up to the Olympic Charter they had to agree to an exception to their regulations. Players can switch in 7s if they have a passport for the new country (although there is usually a standdown period involved when switching allegiance).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

There was Olympic loophole.

Eligibility rules were introduced at the start of 2022 which allowed for general switching if there was a birth tie as long as there was a stand down.

Before that anyone could switch through 7s if there was a stand down and they had a passport of the country they were switching to.

Are you arguing the loophole no longer exists?

It has to, surely? Rugby 7s is still in the Olympics, so, as regards 7s, the rugby authorities are obliged to abide by the Olympic Charter's eligibility rules.

• Advertisement

That loophole only applies through birthright, and not through residency.

What are you basing that on?

The IOC allow competitors to switch allegiance if they have a passport for the new country.

The Olympic charter doesn't set down rules for transfer.

It does say that there has to be a way to transfer in member sports.

I would say that there is a possibility of challenging the current eligibility rules through the IOC executive board but no one has done it yet.

The Olympic Council defer to World Rugby to decide, so World Rugby developed eligibility rules through Regulation 8.

How did Cooper Vuna represent Tonga from 2016 if he was capped twice by Australia in 2012? The birthright switch rule wasn't in place when he changed allegiance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Update on the next phase of development. work on the HPC will begin in 2023

When Rugby joined the Olympics there was a transfer through 7s rule.

Cooper Vanu was part of that.

Then at the start of 2022 they got rid of it and introduced a new rule which I sum up above.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Do many of the top tier pro clubs have their training and offices at their stadium?

Can you point me in the direction of any information that says the introduction of the birthright switch rule invalidates the Olympic 7s loophole?

Edit: It would be interesting to see what the Reg. 8 document looked like before the addition of the birthright switch rule. I suspect it didn't mention the Olympic 7s loophole. WR wouldn't want to give instructions on how to circumvent their regulations.

Post edited by RichieRich_89 on

Here is a pdf of the old regulation 8 with the old Olympic loophole. Compare it to the current regulation 8 that you previously linked.

8.7 included the so called Olympic loophole. It has been replaced in the current rules.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ftiMIW6_8XUMWf4Thri_USnXUoXqdreV/view?usp=drivesdk

• Advertisement

Yeah, actually it does seem to be addressed in part 8.7 of the current document, doesn't it. It says players switching have to satisfy what's set out in part 8.6. So, I guess there's no way for Porch to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Ulster do as well.. dont they? Few french teams do,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Honestly not sure, seems like a handy arrangement but I’d say in general it’s difficult to have the space for everything in one place especially for clubs with stadiums in the centre of town as opposed to out on ring roads or wherever.

Whilst I'm all for the redevelopment of the SG what really should have happened is the council buying the ground, turfing out the dogs, developing it as a municipal stadium and moving Galway united in there too.

Would mean off premises offices and training facilities but I'm sure they could find somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Would council have wanted/afforded that?

Dogs are struggling financially but galway is one of the few tracks doing OK. If you turfed dogs out you wouldn't need to move offices or even training facilities off site as you'd have that bit more room at all sides of ground without dog track and everything else dog related in the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,322 ✭✭✭✭phog

You're making a lot of assumptions there, one being that the Dog Racing would stand for it, you could alienate a whole group of people in Connacht with a move like that.

You're both right; doing what I suggested would not be easy but Galway is too small a place to have their two pro/semi pro teams playing in different stadia.

On the dogs; I think it shouldn't be allowed, and the way it's funded is a disgrace so anything that would have them out is a positive for me, independent of anything connacht do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

Indeed far bigger places than Galway share stadiums:

Ashton Gate Stadium (capacity 27,000) is shared by a Rugby Premiership Club (Bristol Bears) and an EFL Championship Soccer club (Bristol City).

Brentford Community Stadium (capacity 17,000) is shared by a Rugby Premiership Club (London Irish) and a Premier League Soccer club (Brentford).

As to whether the Council could want or afford to take over the stadium, the council couldn't, local government being very badly financed in this country, but the government could. After all, we're paying, what, twenty million of public money to redevelop that stadium? If you went into Dragon's Den and asked for a 20 million investment, they'd want 100% of your business.

Two more advantages of a stadium-share that I could see are 1) a lot of the soccer matches are played in the Summer when there is no (top-level) rugby being played in the Sportsground, and 2) the Galway United stadium is in an awful location. Much better to host the soccer matches in the city proper, with its better transport links for those who want to travel.

Of course, Irish exceptionalism means that we can never do this. Much better to pump scarce public money into two separate, and little-used, stadiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Indeed far bigger places than Galway share stadiums:

The Sportsground is already shared

After all, we're paying, what, twenty million of public money to redevelop that stadium? 

So, the idea would be to pay even more public money to buy out the freehold and even more money again to find an alternative home for the greyhound lads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

Nope - as I said "If you went into Dragon's Den and asked for a 20 million investment, they'd want 100% of your business."

For twenty million, I'd expect to own the stadium and still have about 17 million left over for redevelopment.

Advertisement