Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Autumn2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I saw a few cloud to ground strikes (some near and some far away to the N/NW) last night and none of them were picked up by that UK Met ATD system. And this is not the first time I have observed this.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hairypoppins

https://streamable.com/4b8vjk only getting around to sharing this one now from that crazy hr wed night, tallaght

• Registered Users Posts: 10,158 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Certainly was !! Never thought I'd see anything like it , really was a spectacular hr or so midweek in these parts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭pad199207

That wasn’t Tallaght

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Agree saw that the night it happened think it was Kildare saw the tree on fire in another pic they posted it was posted on Carlow weather Facebook

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Nada...

• Advertisement

Ah, I see... a sliver of hope then.

Torrential rain earlier in Cork city. Has cleared for now.

No mention on Cork TAF

TAF EICK 221700Z 2218/2318 17009KT 9000 BKN003 

BECMG 2218/2220 3000 -RA BR TEMPO 2218/2306 0200 +RA FG BKN001 SCT020CB 

BECMG 2306/2308 9999 NSW SCT030 

PROB40 TEMPO 2309/2312 SHRA SCT018CB

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭almostthere12

Very heavy squall line (might not be correct definition in my description) off the coast of Cork and heading towards land, no lightning though.

Post edited by almostthere12 on

Absolutely hammering it down here. East Cork near the coast.

Rain just started now in Cork City, but looks very heavy by the colours on ME radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I was in dingle today. Got sunburnt 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Activity heading up towards the south east.

Lightning near Gorey now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm over in Dorset for the weekend and so far the trip is serving up the sferics.

Severe thunder and lightning around 4am this morning for 90 mins and more pretty much guaranteed for this afternoon. Will take some videos.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

See big convection bubbling up, a few heavy showers in North Kerry, after a fine morning just drove through a shower a short time ago, got warm with car reading 17C.

• Advertisement

Thunder and lightning Invern co Galway from a friend there

South of the UK going to get hammered

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

In Heathrow Airport. Flight to Dublin cancelled! Lots of lightning/thunder all round.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some length of storms, making fast progress, map below just now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Thunderstorms have passed Heathrow now.

Off to a hotel now....flight cancelled until tomorrow morning. More a BA thing rather than weather I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Embedded mammatus base on trailing edge of an hour long massive thunderstorm storm and squall I got caught outside during, in Poole Harbour, Dorset, England on Sunday around 3.30pm.

Was great fun!

A few sferics showing up in S Kerry now, those frontal passages look like they could be quite wet and blustery ovenight, bit of CAPE as well especially the one between 03.00 and 07.00, especially along the Western Atlantic Seaboard, will see if any convection with a few sparks get going overland in the early hours, AROME showing the tell tale signs of potentialy blustery showers going through.

Day 1 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Tue 25 Oct 2022 - 05:59 UTC Wed 26 Oct 2022

ISSUED 06:40 UTC Tue 25 Oct 2022

ISSUED BY: Dan

Upper ridging develops for a time over the British Isles on Tuesday, but then retreats to the North Sea during the evening and night hours as an upper trough - with lead impulse - swing northwards across Ireland during the overnight period. As a result, outbreaks of rain will slide northwards across Ireland and western Britain, especially later in the day and into the evening/night period as a series of fronts affect these areas. As the first shortwave engages with the first frontal wave/surface low, and a marked dry intrusion approaches from the south, there may be scope for some thunderstorms on the western flank of the main precipitation shield, largely offshore over the Atlantic but potentially close to SW / W Ireland. A second cold front will later race northeastwards across Ireland from midnight onwards, pushing into western Britain towards the end of the night. This will likely be marked by a strongly-forced band of convection, in a strongly-sheared environment with dry air aloft - and so there may also be some sporadic lightning associated with this activity too. In fact there may be scope for rather squally winds (potentially 50-60mph very locally) and perhaps a couple of isolated tornadoes with this activity - but unlike Sunday, coverage of damaging winds is expected to be far less and so have refrained from introducing a SVR at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Hopefully we get some action overnight 😁⚡⚡⛈️

• Advertisement

Heavy rain going through here near Tralee out by the coast, storm is just out the bay , saw some distant lightning but cant hear it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement