Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoJo banished - Liz Truss down. Is Rishi next for the toaster? **threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

His choice of Home Secretary just indicates that the anti immigration and generally nasty approach to home affairs is set to continue.

I suspect you’ll just continue to see more of the same, particularly around the very ideological stuff.

Change of leader isn’t change of leadership. They’re still going to have all the same issues they had under May, Johnson and Truss.

I can’t really see the NI protocol being ironed out until there’s a general election tbh.

My gut instinct tells me that Sunak could end up being rapidly dragged into a position very like May, being unable to deliver because he’s going to be trying to implement a set of policies that are a complete paradox driven by hardcore ideologies and various red lines that can’t be resolved. Compromise, consensus building, pragmatism and nuance don’t really exist in the Tory vocabulary.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Braverman, Zahawi and Cleverly have my eyebrows raised.

I can see exactly what he's up to - put hard right wingers into the government in order to keep the right wing of the party / Johnson supporters on board but it seems risky. It almost appears he's far more concerned with the party than with the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭quokula

It's a fair point that the party is massively devoid of talent and there are almost no good choices but they could do better than someone like Cleverley who makes an idiot of himself every time he speaks and Gove who's track record is utterly atrocious and who did untold damage to education and justice in his time in those ministries.

For some examples of Tory MPs who've performed their roles without completely **** the bed like those two, there's Alok Sharma, Tom Tugenhadt, Ben Wallace, Damien Green, Tobias Ellwood, Sajid Javid, even David Davis outside of his run as Brexit minister. Countless others who would still better choices.

In fairness it is true though that compared to his other selections like Braverman and Raab, those two look positively respectable.

I think you can sum up this cabinet by looking at Jeremy Hunt - he served under Cameron and was very widely acknowledged as the most unpopular minister in the country amongst the public, overseeing huge damage to the NHS during his tenure. Now the standards have fallen so much that he's the one everyone looks at as the one reliable adult in the room to make good decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Yes, you called it yesterday and I dismissed it out of hand. Turns out I over-estimated Sunak.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

His last 3 predecessors were defenestrated by the party but given that he only has 2 years, tops, until the next general election I'm guessing that the voters are going to be the ones to turf him out of #10. On that basis he should probably be worrying more about what the country thinks of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

One assumes that Braverman is now free to pursue her anti-immigration and anti-refugee policies (the ones that she had a huge bust up with Truss over). It's a bit of a shock appointment to be honest, even if we can see what he's up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,333 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

True, but Sunak was going up for leadership then too. So it was in his interest…

id say he’s one to be wary of.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I think you can sum up this cabinet by looking at Jeremy Hunt - he served under Cameron and was very widely acknowledged as the most unpopular minister in the country amongst the public, overseeing huge damage to the NHS during his tenure. Now the standards have fallen so much that he's the one everyone looks at as the one reliable adult in the room to make good decisions.

Yeah I was wondering how he had become undroppable from the Treasury when it looks like Truss only appointed him because she desperately needed someone who looked 'steady' and 'component'. He made a lot of money from a tech start-up which in fairness is more impressive than anything on most MPs' CVs but doesn't necessarily a deep understanding of macro-economics....

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

Braverman, Zahawi and Cleverly.....but not Gove and Raab?

They're in for a hammering in 2 years from now and I for one can't wait. Should have happened in 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

The refugees don't just teleport from where ever they're from originally to the English channel.They transverse Europe apparently undetected (which is worrying to say the least)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

How would you suggest detecting them? Im pretty sure the UK has just as big an issue tracking people who enter the country without declaring themselves.

That's an EU security matter I'd say.If terrorist organisations wanted to flood Europe with jihadists it wouldn't be very hard would it?-No one is stopping people flooding in from those countries.Its a ticking time bomb and it's Europe's inability to police it's borders that is making it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭interlocked

Sunak will be found out very quickly, he doesn't have the character for the unrelenting spotlight he's going to be under. He was very badly caught out in one tv interview, whilst Chancellor, where he was desperately looking for his minders off screen.

But the Tory party, dear God, 357 MP's and this is the best they can come up with?

A government of all the "talents"! Sullerman, Coffey, Raab, Gove, Dowden, Cleverly?, ffs. I wouldn't put some of those "characters" in charge of an empty wheelbarrow.

The rest of the parliamentary party must be the intellectual equivalent of a dried out elephant turd.

And this is what we've got to look forward to ....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Is it? Surely if the UK have the same problems then it would be a UK issue too? If it was so easy why haven't they done it? Why arent there daily weekly or monthly terrorist incidents across the EU if things are as bad as you claim?

The problem is caused by Europe not policing its borders correctly so why are you asking hypothetical questions about what if it was the UK? Don't you think terrorist organisations haven't considered this as an unfettered route into Europe?

I've only brought this up because the discussion seems to focus on how bad the UK is in regards to refugees whilst in reality,the problem is created by mainland Europe's inability to stem the flood.I dislike the tories btw and hope a general election will turf them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Reading the reaction to Sunaks speech and cabinet appointments on twitter and it doesn't seem to have gone down too well especially the Braverman appointment. There is going to be no honeymoon period for him, he will need some quick wins to keep the wolves from the door.

Gavin Williamson & David Davis back in cabinet

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭maik3n

Another appointment that would be of grave concern to us here in Ireland. Johnny Mercer is back

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Mercer_(politician)

• Advertisement

Pritti Patel - Minister for the homeless

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Thing is the Braverman is likely to have gone down well with the most likely rebels in his party...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The picks that Sunak has made are not about winning an Election , they are about surviving until the Election.

The Tories are toast in the next election , it's just a matter of how badly they lose - There's nothing that anyone can do about that at this point.

Sunak has made choices based purely on trying to survive the internal battles inside the party.

So while picking people like Braverman and Raab will be hugely unpopular with voters it will help him to keep the internal factions at bay to avoid an early election or yet another leadership change.

It's utterly self-serving , but then that is the Tory party motto these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Dingaan

I expect Brexit hard man Steve Baker will be reappointed Minister for State for Northern Ireland today.

Surprised that Braverman was asked to re-assume the position of Home Secretary, albeit pleasantly surprised.

In her resignation letter, Braverman noted how she felt unable to commit to the 2019 manifesto under Truss.

Hopefully under Sunak, Braverman can implement the kind of strong policies that need to be taken at this time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

"Pleasantly surprised" that the utterly incompetent right wing zealot got her job back a week after she resigned for breaking the rules.

A person whos "dream" is to see Asylum seekers illegally traffiked in breach of International law , to an African country with an appalling human rights record.

Ladies and Gentleman , I present the modern Tory voter.

Who is definitely not racist, no in fact they love the immigrants so they do, sure didn't they put one in charge of keeping all the other immigrants out?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They're all for legal immigration as long as there are no legal ways to migrate.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

I think she’s being kept in the cabinet as she can’t actually do any damage from there.

the Rwanda plan will be held up in the courts for the rest of this parliament. She will not have the time to make any substantive change to immigration policy. So best have her in doing busy work that is doomed to failure rather than outside calling out, with the ERG, that it isn’t being done. And will mitigate some electoral damage with the Tory party faithful by at least appearing to try

Advertisement