Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Can't see Mccarthy getting the nod, wouldn't be a bad shout though. I'd be surprised if Farrell doesn't go with Beirne, Ryan, Dorris, POM, Conan.

Conan's looking powerful this season and looking dominant in the tackle which we'll need against SA.

I'd like to see Farrell use Australia to get big match experience for the lower cap players- Timoney, Coombes, Prendergast, Loughman, Mccarthy, O'Toole. Its an ideal game to see what they can do against a tier 1 nation. I recon he'll go full strength and just use the Fiji game to mix it up though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

id like to see a few changes sprinkled into the aus game - change 1 in the back 3, centres, half backs, back second and front rows. means the newer players could have a much more realistic game than just a completely different team a la the fiji game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I personally think that pack make up is too light to take on South Africa.

Whatever pack we put out will be too light. Better to play our game than worry about theirs. We need discipline and aggressive tackling in defense and a high skill level in attack.

If we can force the pace we can win. If its a slow arm wrestle then they have the advantage.

It's a pity Connors is injured. This would be the ideal match to have him in.

I mean how big the pack is does matter in the scrum and the maul.

I also think that conan and POM are too much alike to be in the same pack. I’d rather have one of them and coombes . Or one of them and timoney. Depending on if you want heavy ball carrying or a tackling machine.

If you want someone to contest their lineout POM, if you want the better ball carrier out wide, Conan.

• Advertisement

But we still won't match them in the scrum. We can put out the heaviest pack we have and still struggle. Maul fair enough but Porter, Furlong and Ryan are excellent here.

I'd disagree that POM and Conan are too much alike. They're as different as players as you get. Conan is a powerful carrier and gives front foot ball and has high workrate in defense. POMs strength are in the line out and over the ball.

There is a difference between struggling and being wiped out.

Every time i watch an ireland game, POM and Conan operate in the same areas. And Conan doesnt seem to be used as a heavy ball carrier in the middle. Hes used as a dynamic ball carrier further wide. When you see POM, its often as the first person to a ruck in a wider area. That’s an overlap. Maybe Conan is a powerful ball carrier and hes just misused by ireland, but i dont see that as the best use of his skillset at all.

That’s Doris’ skillset.

Conan and POM are fighting for the same spot and subbed for each other for a reason. They occupy the same space.

Yeah they use him on the edge when they get into their shape but they also use him up the middle a lot as well. Either way doesn't change my point that his strength is in his carries and dominant tackling while POMs strengths is stealing line outs and poaching ball. Very different players, just because they're used wide in the game plan doesn't mean they are similar type players. VDF is also used in this role but again a different type player to the other 2

yea; but if we are repurposing POM to more VDF’s role, then give me timoney. And if you are using conan more for power; give me coombes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

If you want your best players on the pitch, you pick Doris, POM and Conan.

But VDF hasn't actually been ruled out, so it might all be moot

• Advertisement

I dont think pro rugby coaches think ‘these are the 4 back rows in our 23, and if ANY of them get injured, then the bench guy will slot in next game’.

The only one of those three that id consider to be so good that they’d slot into any possible ireland back row is Doris. After that its skillset to me, but we will see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I'll rephrase. If VDF is out, the next best openside is POM so we should pick him.

I agree that POM is the next best 7 but hes a 7 with a different skillset. You could pick him, but you’d have to juggle roles and responsibilities some. Timoney is a more one for one pick for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

Interesting interview with Nash about going into the Ireland camp after the EI tour. Putting the impacts on the provinces aside I wonder if he would have been selected without the experience of the tour?

"Faz spoke about it this morning – the challenge is to get up to speed as quick as possible. Even if we had six months to spare, he would want us up to speed as quick as possible. That’s what I am trying to do, carrying the notebook around and trying to get the info in."

And Nash enjoyed the experience of going on tour with Emerging Ireland to South Africa, where he started two games.

“I feel like I’ve been able to have a flow to my game and stay in it that way,” said Nash.

“From a personal side of things, I was obviously really nervous coming up to the Emerging Ireland squad because I had never really been involved from Ireland 20s on.

“Getting to learn the calls, how the lads are playing, it made coming in here a lot easier and I felt happy with how I went. I gave it my all down there and was quite happy with it."

https://www.the42.ie/calvin-nash-ireland-5902885-Oct2022/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What are the 'calls' involved in back row play and who usually makes them?

(I've never really played in the backs, I know they practice some fancy moves but I don't think I've ever seen our lads use them in a game!)

VDF wins player of the year, I'd say that was a pretty easy decision to make, he's been class

presume you mean backs rather than back row? for attack its usually the first receiver (and by extension, usually the 10) but it can be anyone. defense probably one of the centres

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Are the November internationals on Virgin or just Amazon? I've seen conflicting information on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

There was a press briefing from David Nucifora today. Apparently he talked for about 90 minutes. I've read a few articles on the briefing. I think I will talk about the whole briefing here as its about Irish rugby rather than splitting the post between a few different threads.

He spoke about a number of things. He is fishing for an extension to his contract adding a year or so which he expects to spend transitioning to a replacement.

Contract extensions for the senior team's coaches are being negotiated at the moment.

The IRFU are hunting for a new forwards coach for the under 20s at the moment.

He acknowledged something I've mentioned a few times which is that the URC doesn't have enough game time for developing young players at the moment. An emerging Ireland taking part in the Currie cup or a provincial development competition played during international windows are being explored.

Apparently there are negotiations going on for a sevens six nations which could be an interesting event. Not sure it will work as Wales Scotland and England have shut down their sevens programs (being replaced by a Team GB sevens program). Getting an international event played here could be great imo for exposure of sevens.

Nucifora claims that 29/37 womens rugby contracts have been accepted. 4 Irish players rejected the offer focusing on their non rugby careers and 4 UK based players rejected the offer as they have existing contracts.

There is planned to be a women's Celtic cup this season with 3 teams (one from each country) that will play between the interpros and the six nations. Thats expected to double in 2024 to 2 Irish teams and 6 over all.

There is a new annual womens XVs international tournament that will be played in the autumn international window for womens rugby. There will be 3 divisions and this years six nations results will serve to determine eligibility for division 1 (top 3 qualify). All games in each division will take place "on location".

A few articles covering some or all of this press briefing are below.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Some of those contracts offered to the women are an absolute joke.

€15000 a year and having to be based near Dublin, have they seen the cost of rents in Dublin and the cost of living in general.

• Advertisement

i think i heard somewhere (otb probably) that the lower end of the scale was to add onto the sevens players that already are contracted, so everyone ends up around the 30,000 mark. could be wrong on that all the same

the contracts are obviously a joke compared to mens ones though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

You cant and shouldnt be comparing them to mens contracts now though. It would be more realistic to compare the contracts to what many of the men got here at the start of the professional era.

Those early contracts were handed out to players who played for their clubs and based in their provinces so could live at home or at least in affordable rented accomodation.

Where do you get that in Dublin, all contracted players have base themselves or travel to Dublin

Here's a bit of Twitter thread on the contracts, if true, there's some amateur stuff happening here

id imagine if you compared cost of living etc, these contracts would be worth alot less to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

All Ireland games are on virgin plus the A game and the Munster game vs New Zealand A.

Prime have all games from all countries I think.

Some very interesting selections in the South Africa squad for November:

Springbok squad

Props: Thomas du Toit (Cell C Sharks), Steven Kitshoff (DHL Stormers), Vincent Koch (unattached), Frans Malherbe (DHL Stormers), Ox Nche (Cell C Sharks), Trevor Nyakane (Racing 92)

Hookers: Malcolm Marx (Kubota Spears), Bongi Mbonambi (Cell C Sharks)

Locks: Lood de Jager (Wild Knights), Eben Etzebeth (Cell C Sharks), Jason Jenkins (Leinster), Salmaan Moerat, Marvin Orie (both DHL Stormers)

Loose forwards: Pieter-Steph du Toit (Toyota Verblitz), Siya Kolisi (Cell C Sharks), Evan Roos (DHL Stormers), Kwagga Smith (Shizuoka Blue Revs), Marco van Staden (Vodacom Bulls), Jasper Wiese (Leicester Tigers)

Utility forwards: Deon Fourie (DHL Stormers), Franco Mostert (Honda Heat)

Scrumhalves: Faf de Klerk (Canon Eagles), Jaden Hendrikse (Cell C Sharks), Cobus Reinach (Montpellier)

Flyhalves: Manie Libbok, Damian Willemse (both DHL Stormers)

Centres: Damian de Allende (Wild Knights), Andre Esterhuizen (Harlequins), Jesse Kriel (Canon Eagles)

Outside backs: Willie le Roux (Toyota Verblitz), Makazole Mapimpi (Cell C Sharks), Sbu Nkosi (Vodacom Bulls)

Utility backs: Kurt-Lee Arendse (Vodacom Bulls), Cheslin Kolbe (Toulon), Sacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu (DHL Stormers)

Fair play to Jenkins getting in, he's been class this season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Jenkins is in I see..

Interesting. I wonder will he play v ireland or munster.

I said it a few weeks ago. He is a good person to have in the SA squad as has excellent knowledge of both the Leinster and Munster players and how they act in the lineouts and scrum and general play. Smart move by South Africa including him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

You'd hope for the players sake that he has been selected on merit and not just as some "training resource" by Rassie for the Bok squad.

Advertisement