Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity Prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭kk.man

Stay a mile away from Energia..

Last year I was out of contract and they rode me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Don't energia have a quota of what you can use at the reduced rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Thanks for that…

Why can’t you go back from a smart meter do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭emaherx

Don't they all? Definitely no reward for loyalty with any of them?

Reduced rate as in night rate? I don't think so, energy providers get ver low rates at night possibly free for them at times. Don't think they offer free time to customers though.

BordGais have a fair usage policy on free units of 100KWh per month which we are doing our best to get to but will probably fall a bit short.

I imagine they want everyone on a smart plan eventually, but they can't currently force someone to take a smart plan. By signing up you agree to stay.

I'm sure overtime people will be priced out of the old plans anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

was with Flogas and nearly got rode bare back and side saddle combined when the contract ended.

Luckily I wasn't on a smart meter at the time and avoided most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

What would yere average daily unit usage be, I was looking at my own recently and it was around 15-20units per day would that be the norm with everyone else? That's home only farm is separate.

Possibly........... but do you live alone? or with family?

2 teenagers here can increase power consumption significantly when they are around.

We’d use less that that - well, the past few bills were less. Will creep up a bit now coming into winter

We used about 4500units in the past year. Down from about 5000 the year before - but we have been energy conscious lately whereas we weren’t really before…

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Used to do every 6 hours but now we do every 3 hours.it keeps the house zlot cleaner

• Advertisement

Smart meter installed 15/9/22, have 852units used since that works out at 20.78units/day no one in the house during the day until kids get home from school at 4. Very careful with lights and all that, dishwasher twice a week, washing machine is going ever evening no tumble dryer still feel it's a bit high🤷

Nobody can really answer this for you. Smart meter only tells you what comes in not where it goes. Book an energy testing kit from your county Library and monitor individual appliances you could be surprised. Even a multimeter with Clamp Meter if you have one / can use one will highlight what's really power hungry.

for example a basic PC may consume 50W but a Gaming PC playing a Graphics intensive game 500W, 2 Gaming PC's in this house but are banned during the peak hours. A TV could vary from 50 - 300W depending on age and size.

Electric oven could be3000W, Kettle 2000W toaster 1000 - 2500W

Water Pressure pump 600W, Modern Septic tank 100W for compressor and 800W when pump kicks in.

An Old chest freezer could be consuming much more than a new one.

Appliances on Standby, Chargers plugged in and nothing charging.

Smart meters also show half hourly usage which is not that useful.

I made a monitor that captures the flashing light on the meter on converts to real time usage which is useful for finding exactly what is being consumed right now.

Had online meetings this morning so Kettle went on a lot must get a vacuum flask type kettle to save re-boiling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Gooser14

How does the daily consumption figures compare to your usage for the same period last year when you didn't have the smart meter?

Most likely will be very skewed by estimated billing and differences in power consumption between Sept/Oct.

Thanks for that, some serious issues to think about their.👍

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Just checking on bonkers.ie and I can save approx €120 by going from 5.5% discount night rate to 10% but this is only available through bonkers. It has a new contract term of 1 year. Its electric ireland. Is it safe enough to go through Bonkers.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Yeah, I've switched through them, the new company always get in touch directly to confirm everything within a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I've used bonkers.ie for the last 5 or 6 years, no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Sami23

Anyone swith provider lately. My yearvis up with Energia shortly so need try get a new deal somewhere.

Also what happens if you have credit in your account when you switch provider - presume its lost ?

I'd look for a cheque and not presume it's lost tbh. They'd chase you for payment if it were the other way.

Switched in September, but discounts for switching I hear have been cut in half since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

I switched provider a couple of years ago and I had 200 euro or thereabouts in credit with the previous provider, I did nothing, knowing I was owed money, 4 months after leaving provider, the amount was credited to my bank account,

However if your in a rush for it, ring them to expedite the process,

Also the money can't become lost, if you are ever in credit and you leave the company, it's your money and must be refunded to you,

Now I'm assuming you are bill pay, the above advice is for bill pay,

However if you are pay as you and you mean that if credit is still on your account, I think you have to do your best to use it up before you are an active customer with your new provider, a friend once switched from a pay as you go provider back to bill pay, she had just under 30 euros credit on the meter, she got a text saying an engineer was coming to make her new providers connection live in 3 day's, she knew that she wouldn't use up all her credit and she rang her pay as you go provider and they said no refund, but said to her figure out how to use it up, so safe decided to wash and dry things that needed freshening up, she baked, even got her partner to power wash the garden, when the engineer arrived there was only 11 cent credit, so she got her money's worth!!!

Ah yes, I was assuming bill pay too. If pre pay, now is the time to get welding :D

But lots of bill pay accounts could be in credit at the moment due to the government grant, so I wouldn't be leaving it behind if that's the case.

Post edited by emaherx on

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

@emaherx

Oh aye I forgot about the government credit!!! I wonder if you change provider would the original provider forward on the credit to the new provider,

Or would it be the case like I mentioned in my previous comment, where they credit it to your bank account or send a cheque, hopefully that'd be the case, although probably not, as the government want the money to go towards the electricity bill, aren't I right in saying pay as you go customers got the amount automatically added to there accounts, as in they weren't sent cheques or whatever by the government, oh what a quandary.

@sami23 as you mentioned you are bill pay, so if you changed provider (from Energia) and you were in credit of your own money, your money won't be lost, and should be credited to the bank account you pay Energia with, or by cheque if you pay at the post office/postpoint, also I just checked it out Energia is actually the most expensive provider at the minute, even new customers don't get much of, now I may be wrong, there might be another provider more expensive.

Ended up renewing with Energia for another 12 months with a 10% discount.

I priced around but couldn't see anything that much better to get me to switch taking into account the 200 is it my account.

My contract was up there last month. I stayed with eirtricity. Tried bonkers and that one big switch site, nothing really available on both… Checked ESB and Bord Gais and they were offering less of a discount…

Changed to a smart meter as well so we’ll see how that goes…

Got first bill which includes mart meter there this morning… The government 200euro is nice to see.

On the smart meter - looking at the units used, I paid 98.5euro (across all 3 tariffs)

If I stayed on a non-smart meter, I would have paid 101.9

So, saving 2.4euro - not much. And I don’t know if this could be improved either, in terms of changing electricity usage.

Only thing is - this isn’t for a full month of smart meter usage, so the savings relative to a flat rate tarrif next month should be a bit better… hopefully…

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

AFAIK gas prices have dropped a good bit since last year. Has anyone been shopping around for electricity lately. We’ve been rode by airtricity lately, rang them and we’re paying 48c for day rate and 30c for night rate including vat. Gas companies seem to be a good bit cheaper. Anyone else change suppliers recently?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

In contract here for another month or so but had a quick look on bonkers. Doesn't seem to be many bargains available. Probably go through a broker myself when the time comes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭stanflt

Advertisement