Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reflection on the pandemic: questions about the authorities' response.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

I agree, but I'll be running it past any politician who cares to darken my door looking for a vote come election time, as that's the only time they'll listen to us plebs.

Post edited by DLink on

I do not see any conspiracy, what I saw was blind panic and rushed decisions, an hysterical press calling for lockdowns, politicians wanting to be seen as doing something, a self feeding circle of panic and incompetance amongst people who really should have known better, but were also wanting not to be seen as inactive. Those who held back (BoJo in the UK for example) was pilloried by the press until they enacted the same pointless measures as almost everywhere. We don't hear much about Sweden these days/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Tony Houlihans personal behaviour should be investigated, time and again he demonstrated that the authority bestowed on him was getting the better of him.

Altho, in this country, he'd probably win the next presidential election...sadly it wouldn't surprise me!!

….

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Lockdowns were in response to a potential overwhelmed health service. While it was strained in early days, that was nothing new, health services have been maxxed out at times as long as I can remember.

When the first wave had clearly passed our authorities sat on their hands and decided to wait and see. After that, restrictions were indeed to ‘save lives’ by attempting to stop covid, and authorities dabbled with zero-covid influenced policies until it became clear that vaccination would not eliminate Covid. This despite vaccine trials showing no evidence for interruption of transmission beyond reducing the number of people being infectious at the same time.

Protecting our health service included initially moving elderly out of hospitals to free up beds, without testing them for Covid - to spread covid to respite facilities and nursing homes.

Up to date information was available from many different countries at the time decisions on restrictions here were taken so hindsight is not applicable. We decided to paddle our own ridiculously cautious canoe, to the detriment of so many other health and economic concerns. They may get a pass for the early phase of pandemic but thereafter it was a sh*tshow of fear propaganda and misinformation from the media, and knee-jerk political decisions, that had the public in thrall to lockdowns and restrictions.

And as you say Mike Ryan reckons we can learn from incorrect action, so why not look back and learn from mistakes and make policy to ensure those failures are prevented from happening again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

This is why Tony would walk into Aras, guys like this guy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,977 ✭✭✭✭JRant

If anyone spent more than 2 minutes thinking about the initial lockdown they would realize what an incredible abuse of our civil liberties it was. We had next to no data to warrant the type of response we seen and the length of it was extraordinary.

To hear people say the the wrong action is worse than no action clearly haven't the first clue. The wrong action has led to the ballooning of hospital waiting lists to over a million people. Global supply chains were disrupted leading to higher costs and who knows how many deaths in developing countries as the west shut down while pumping obscene amounts of money in to the economy.

There's been incredible waste of citizens money on everything from PPE that wouldn't fit midgets, ventilators that didn't exist, and who knows what else buried in the unaccounted spend.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

As someone who lost a parent to covid in one of those nursing homes in the early stages of Covid, I would just like to say fcuk you, and I do not want any enquiry.

It was hard enough going through it at the time, knowing my beloved parent was dying in a nursing home and I / our family were not allowed to see her or be with her because WE DIDN'T KNOW at that time what covid was or how dangerous it was.

I believe the Government did what they thought was in the best interests in the public health. So I'd rather let it rest now, and try and continue healing from the loss, which was traumatic in its nature - including not being able to have a proper funeral. I'd rather not have it all raked up again. Third anniversaries are only a few months away. Do I think mistakes were made? Most likely. But it won't bring any of those we lost back.

And having to put up with clowns who are dismissive of these deaths by saying "they would have happened shortly, anyway" are just insulting, ignorant fools.

I will be making no further comments in this thead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,037 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Well you certainly don't hear the people who retired to Sweden complaining.

• Advertisement

As someone who lost a parent during covid after a long battle with cancer I absolutely want a review carried out. Our last year together was greatly hindered by draconian measures that ignored patient wellbeing and dignity, especially around end of life treatment. The sheer hubris of senior civil servants telling people they couldn't spend time with dying relatives was outrageous.

We all have our own experiences of lockdown and the pandemic. I would like to ensure that families in any future pandemic are treated with respect and dignity in a similar circumstance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Still looking down your nose at everyone I see. Two utterly pointless posts in a row.

Seems to hit a nerve quite accurately though ...

No it just epitomizes the disgraceful attitudes we saw from people in this country throughout this. Smug self-righteous moralizing gobshites judging everyone around them.

The death rate per 100,000 is lower than most first world countries, so go figure.

https://covid19.who.int/region/euro/country/se

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭lizzyjane

I see New York Supreme Court has over turned the decision to sack people for not getting the vaccine. Employees will be reinstated and be given back pay.

So I guess we've not discussing Ireland any more.

• Advertisement

Just remember "we had to move at the speed of science to understand what is really taking place in the market".

As expected the floodgates of unlawful sackings will soon be overturned,I wonder how many lost their jobs here because of their vax status.

Ah, I see. You’re one of those posters who just comes up with ridiculous irrelevant one-line answers to people instead of actually engaging in discussion. If you have nothing to say, say nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭lizzyjane

Im sure there is thousands of Irish citizens who have a good case of discrimination against the state?

It's a ridiculous thread. I agree with you.

Why would you want a tribunal when it's full of the things this thread is opposed to, and they never achieve anything, other than cost a fortune. No matter what the findings are you won't believe it anyway.

One the main issues in that article in the first post was nursing homes. It's been almost entirely ignored by this thread. Because the threads mostly not interested in it.

Has there been a single reported incidence of someone losing thier job here for not taking the vaccine? Becasue I dont recall any. Redeployed, yes, but getting sacked?

The thread expects thousands of cases though

As far as I'm aware the government were acting on advice from international health organizations and medical professionals at home.

When Covid started everybody was aware that it could have a detrimental effect on those with other health conditions, Covid was new and not very well understood.

We have a health system that can barely cope when things are good, having a surge on the healthcare system would clearly lead to unnecessary deaths so restrictions were necessary to limit the rate of infection.

You would imagine that if the world had enacted a coordinated quarantine that the infection could have been contained but there were those who thought it was a hoax or had to go on holidays or had to meet up with mates for a few pints. Now covid is something we all have to live with.

There are news articles going back about unvaccinated staff working in hospitals and nursing homes. Thus far all I can see is they were repeatedly offered vaccines. No mention of punitive action. Though I assume its likely to have happened in some places. But I limited my search to Ireland.

Anecdotally I know not all the carers I had dealings with were vaccinated. Only getting the vaccine and boosters after getting sick from COVID and having to isolate and take sick leave. No idea if that's representative of anything. The news articles would suggest it was common enough.

This is why a tribunal is pointless. They followed international practice and the countries DolanStats are better than most. They have get out of jail card.

That's not to say the govt can't be critised for all the stupid stuff they did. Mistakes were certainly made. Some investigation to generate future recommendations has merit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

You would imagine that if the world had enacted a coordinated quarantine that the infection could have been contained but there were those who thought it was a hoax or had to go on holidays or had to meet up with mates for a few pints. Now covid is something we all have to live with.

Oh well, people are gonna be people, whatcha gonna do about it now?

You are correct, covid is something we have to LIVE WITH now, it's here, the world hadn't collapsed, there is no need for any restrictions in the future, and there was certainly no need for the government to carry on the way they did over the last few years.

Parade them all in front of a tribunal and tell them to justify their actions and the decisions they made.

Advertisement