Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs and Clubs to get longer opening hours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭francois

This is long overdue, a capital city shutting down at 2.30 is ridiculous. The reactions of some here is laughable. The world won't end because some young (and growing old disgracefully) people want to see a DJ/Band/performance after 2.30.

Should have happened decades ago, unfortunately the pub lobby put paid to that, thanks to their FF connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,803 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Plenty of them nice innocent drunk drivers were on narcotics too.

Drugs stopped being just an urban thing a long time ago.

Seems most arguments against this can be summed up as usual by The Simpsons

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

should have happened decades ago and even then it should be an abolition of opening and closing hours.

still, it's a start and hopefully a campaign for such abolition altogether will come in time.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Sure on election results nights pubs are 'open' all night long

• Advertisement

Wonder will takeaway etc be willing to stay open longer too? I know where my wife is from we'd have had pizza sat down in a place at 5am and be able to have a beer etc if we wanted. I usually ordered a sprite and a bottle of beer to mix.

Difference there is people go out later like around 11pm meet up decide on were to eat then head to a bar where there would be band playing usually. Around 2ish a call would be made to stay or go to a club which would involve a taxi usually or call other friends somewhere else in the city to see what they were up to. Some went home and others stayed out. All very relaxed not like here were I imagin you get the old ah sure stay for one more speil etc.

Come 5 or 6 am there was no shortage of ways to get home.

A post above mentioning elections gave me a chuckle, we were out on a Saturday night ordered some food and drinks and come midnight on the dot everyone got kicked out. There was an election on the Sunday and the law was no booze/pub until it was over. We couldn't even get wine in a 24hr supermarket, sickner 😅

Seemed to work well though people coming and going as it suited them. Hopefully can work out well here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They have bought the old USIT HQ on Aston Quay. It doesn't seem to be high on their priority list to convert though.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

The divide between the demonisation of one ( driving after having a few pints ) versus the acceptance of the other ( widespread narcotic use ) was my point

The people impacted most by the closure of rural pubs would not have belonged to the demographic queuing for the cubicle .

Used to work nightclubs and there was definitely kebab shops still open when we would get out at 5 or 6.

If there is money to be made someone will open.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Lloyd's number 1, not all of them are late night, it's just spoons with music but a great place to predrink.

• Advertisement

"Posh" Spoons. I think I was in a late night one in Bristol once but it might have been a regular Spoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,899 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'm in favour of the proposals but it is galling to listen to all the politicians trotting out the same "pubs are safe and controlled environments to drink in" line.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

They werent as loud saying that during the lockdowns

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Booze ok in pubs. Turns into devils buttermilk on leaving the off-licence. 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Did ya hear yer man on prime time saying you'd get stabbed at a house party...

I thought that was more of a chocolate bar somewhere. Think that does make me laugh though. Bringing every head of state or whoever to the Guinness brewery. Way to break stereotypes.

One week after a Prime Time on how anti-social O'Connell St is because of drink and drugs something is finally done. Jeez.

The RTE News featuring students welcoming this in Galway. Two weeks ago they walked out of classes because of cost of living.

It's all about the tourists.

I think you spelt publicans wrong on the last part. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

Did I hear on newstalk that normal pubs can serve until 2:30am now ? Great if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I don't understand why can't pubs, clubs, offys just open and close whenever they want.

I find young people much more mature these days and older people are mostly sensible anyway. Drinking culture has diminished a lot since the early noughties for myriad reasons.

Id also completely liberalize pub and club licenses so the barrier to entry was more equal.

So for example if a few young friends wanted to open a pub/club in some abandoned building, they could do so cheaply and easily. As long as it's safe and follows guidelines.

We'd have the most interesting nightlife in Europe overnight. Pubs and clubs popping up in warehouses or old markets or restaurants or butchers or gyms etc.

Post edited by orangerhyme on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

They don't have to stay open that late, it gives them an option as to when to close later.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Lol if I'm a bartender in a nightclub I'm handing in my notice as soon as this comes into effect. I'd be willing to work those hours if I was in Ibiza or somewhere, but not here.

And outside of Dublin or other urban centres this won't take hold at all IMO. The bars in my town can't get staff as it is and they don't stay open past 1 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Stranger Things

Wont be as crazy at 11pm now. I doubt I’ll be heading to clubs until about 2am

Most nightclubs won't avail of the extension and will keep their current license so most staff have no change

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Some contradiction between introducing minimum pricing on booze and this -this governments a joke

No not really. Extended hours doesn't mean people have to drink more just have more choice of when to drink.

For people of my generation and older you "have" to stay till close and the pub or club "has" to stay open till the maximum time on the license.

The point is to change that attitude for future generations so they won't treat alcohol like utter children the way we do now. The change in attitude has been happening for a few years now already.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,542 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It’s all very well leaving nightclubs open until 6 am but - what about the wider issues here:

bus and taxis at all hours of the morning to ferry revellers home?

policing at all hours of the morning?

effect on A and E? health services?

general basic safety on the streets?

dodgy types off their bin after 8 hours + of heavy drinking and drugging.

Looking for trouble

Ffs like.

ireland isn’t downtown Manhattan or Berlin or London

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Ozvaldo

couple of months ago nanny got rid of cheap booze in supermarkets due to problems with peoples consumption and the ongoing problems now they have all night bars

both suit publicans why is this ?a bit of lobbying going on ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,542 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

this is another key point

staffing - will bar staff want to work from say 9pm to 7 am (1 hour for the clean up after the punters go home)??

ffs like how popular would this be at 5 am on a dirty rainy night in November.

with chippers all closed up. No guards. no taxis or buses???

we are not exactly Ibiza type climate here.

Advertisement