Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm amazed it took them this long, frankly. Johnson won his majority in late 2019. This is three years later than I was expecting. We knew this was going to happen since Brexit was only ever intended to benefit a minuscule amount of people at the top.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Given Mogg is very much against same sex relationships he'd be no doubt champing at the bit to remove protections and rights from that particular demographic. The rest reads like a clichéd list you would imagine a regressive Victorian troll like him would come up with.

Of course goes without saying with all these things, that he'll be ok. Sure isn't it just opening up the opportunity to work more? Who doesn't want to do a hard day, night and weekend's graft? Layabouts and lefties no doubt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Indeed. Regulate the bedroom, not the boardroom seems to be the tacit mantra.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Swathes of laws including equal pay for men and women, pension rights for same-sex married couples, food standards and aviation safety rules could accidentally disappear or be redrafted poorly, they warn."

Absolutely nothing accidental about it , not one thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Oh don't say that @Quin_Dub; Tories are well renown and shown that they are in reality completely piss poor stupid who can't even figure out that actions have consequences. In most cases I'd say it was planned but with the current Tory MPs and government I'm inclined on accidental over intentional in most cases (not that they would care if they planned it mind you)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,535 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

'Course he is. He's staunch RCC and likely taking direction from them. That's the way of criminal enterprises and their fellow gangsters.

And it's sadly par for the course that Jesus' teachings on greed, excess and materialism have been completely discarded. They only care about the nice quotes that justify cruelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

I think you`re right about brands being owned by foreigners.I consider Tayto and Guinness Irish although they`re both foreign owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Tayto was sold by Largo foods to some German crowd a few years ago. Nordie tayto is still nordie-owned, i think.

But I fail to see how Tayto is relevant to a discussion about MG choosing the EU over the UK. Its not like Ireland voted to leave the EU so they could bring back Sam Spudz!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I believe that you're missing the point. UK cabinet members claimed that the EU car manufacturers would be pressurising their governments to enable the UK continue with its pre-Brexit entitlements. We now know that those cabinet members were lying outright to their public and since Brexit the UK is regarded as a third country which is badly affecting trade.

As for my comment about their companies being foreign owned, more and more UK companies are being bought cheaply by non-UK entities. Brexit has to a certain extent reduced the value of many UK companies making them easier targets for overseas investors. Whilst they still retain their iconic British status but one can wonder given that the parent companies won't have the same ties to the UK and will happily move production elsewhere. As I type, one company springs to mind - owned by a prominent Brexiteer but moved away from the UK yet still continues with the perception of being British - Dyson! They are no more British than MG or Rolls Royce

• Registered Users Posts: 15,637 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Just on a point about the lying, I actually don't think the likes of JRM, Farage, Davies etc were lying. I do think that they firmly believed that the UK would get everything it wanted. I think they really did believe that they held all the cards.

They often cite Cameron coming back from the EU 'empty handed' as if they were ever anything he could have got. They saw that as a failure of Cameron to use the power of the UK to get what it wanted. Brexit, by scarring the EU by threatening to leave, would see the EU finally come to its sense that the UK was not messing and they would accept whatever the UK demanded to simply keep the UK involved.

There is no doubt that they are lying now. But at the time I think they really believed their own guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,095 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Na Mogg was lying. He knew it would be a disaster but thats exactly what the disaster capitalist wanted.

Farage always wanted to stay in the single market so at least under his vision we wouldn't have this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

One of the biggest issues with this initiative is that, far from beginning to rekindle a working/trading relationship with the EU27, it should precipitate still more disincentives into maintaining whatever is currently left of that relationship, and offset the hoped-for bootstrapping of the UK economy from that notional rekindling, by still more years.

The EU27 have moved on, growing ever more disinterested and warier of the unstable UK-

-and, looking at that Lotus Emira story just a few posts before, so does the rest of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I think we need to bear in mind the distinction between lying and bullshitting. The liar knows what is true, and knows that truth is important, but deliberately says what is false. The bullshitter does not know or care what is true, but says what he would like to be true or (more usually) what his audience would like to be true. Some of what he says will in fact be true, but he does not know or care which bits, and none of what he says will be reliable.

I don't think that the Brexit leaders believed their own guff to be true. Two things lead me to this conclusion:

First, if you cared whether it was true or not — if you cared enough to think about it — how could you possibly come to the conclusion that it was true? There's no analysis of the respective strengths and weaknesses of the UK and the EU, of their strategic situations, that could possibly lead you to the conclusion that the UK would have the upper hand in negotiations between the two.

Secondly — and this is probably the bigger factor — they didn't behave like people who believed it. If you really believed you had a strong negotiating hand, you would seek to take advantage of it. You would give some thought to what you wanted to achieve in the negotiations, what your priorities were. You would develop a rational set of negotiating objectives that didn't contradict or undermine one another. You would reflect on how best to take advantage of your supposed negotiating strength. And yet the Brexiters did none of these things. They didn't think seriously about what they wanted from the negotiations until after the negotiations had pretty much concluded. If you seriously thought you had a strong negotiating hand, you would want to play it to best effect. Why would you squander it in this way?

So, no, they weren't telling the truth when they said they held all the cards, easiest deal ever, etc. They just thought this was the right thing for Brexiters to say; they liked the sound of it. They were bullshitting.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I asked if France and the UK, for example, could negotiate a bi-lateral treaty or agreement that might create a kind of Common Travel Area as between Ireland and the UK to allow freedom of movement, residence, and work between the British and the French.

it would appear that the author of this article was a uk minister of state for europe and seems not to understand what schengen area means. Or does he think france would leave the schengen area to have a common travel area with the uk and give up , no passport controls with 4 eu countries and a EEA country

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

The value of the article was in the sentiment of those senior French civil servants…

…assuming that these were relayed honestly by the writer, that is 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

If it does result in lax regulation, then it will be of benefit to businesses. That's what the Tories want.

Lax regulation is what allowed China to flourish, investment poured in, living standards rocketed and infrastructure spending dwarfs the West.

Individually and environmentally, it's not great but at a macro level China is transformed.

Before we get all critical of the UK for burning regulations, remember we all happily buy cheap clothes, electronics and cheap tat from places like China.

Except this is utter drivel.

Trade is what allowed China to become the world's workshop and to flourish. Not the burning of some regulations.

Feel free to provide a source to back up your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

But to sell goods abroad, China has to produce the goods to the standards in those countries. This is the fundamental issue which Brexit promoters have been ignoring for years. They can make higher power vacuum cleaners if they want, they just won't be able to sell them.

The "lax regulations" which has benefited China are in terms of working conditions, planning, environmental protection, etc. Britain (well London) is a high cost, services based economy, trying to replicate China is not realistic and would mean setting the country back a century overnight.

• Advertisement

Lax regulation is of little benefit to UK businesses, and is not what they want.

Even if the account of China's growth were correct (and I agree with an capaill dorcha that it is not) that would not be a model that the UK can replicate. The UK home market is tiny compared to China's; UK cannot pole-vault its way to prosperity by churning out shoddy for UK customers. And exports can't be shoddy; regardless of what regulatory regime the UK itself has UK exporters of goods and services have to meet the regulatory standards of the EU, the US and the other markets into which they sell.

Even for UK businesses that produce exclusively for the home market, what they want is not so much a regulatory free-for-all as regulatory certainty. They want to know what their regulatory regime is, and is going to be, so that they can organise themselves, plan, invest, etc, knowing what requirements they will have to meet.

From that point of view the promised comprehensive reform of EU-derived regulations is Not Good. UK businesses do not know until the end of 2026 whether their existing regulatory regime will be renewed with few or no changes, or replaced with a different one. If it is to be replaced with a different one, they have no idea what that will be. And nor do they have any real confidence that the process will be completed by 2026, as promised. The schedule looks punishing, and lot of commentators say that it is unattainable, and Brexit implementation projects are mostly poorly-planned and poorly-executed, and their deadlines tend to be a moveable feast.

So, all-in-all, lots of expensive, investment-discouraging uncertainty for UK industries so that regulatory systems they are mostly quite happy with can be called into question to gratify the ideological fixations of the madder members of the Tory party.

(One text for Sunak's supposed moderate, economically sensible instincts might be whether he puts the kibosh on this nonsense sooner rather than later.)

Post edited by Peregrinus on

The only thing I'd like to add is that there are several issues holding the UK back that the government doesn't even acknowledge.

Housing is a huge one. The UK's wealth and most profitable industries such as finance and biotechnology are concentrated in southeast England where housing is extortionately priced both in terms or rent and purchase prices. If I wanted to establish a biotech firm tomorrow, I can't really go outside the "Golden triangle" of Oxford-Cambridge-London as that's where the expertise is. Not too many people want to live in, say, Sunderland where both housing and premises are much cheaper.

This brings me to the second problem: infrastructure. The UK's is absymal. Getting around the UK is hideously expensive. Flights are often cheaper than trains. A trip to Liverpool to see a friend last year cost me £120. This isn't exactly growth friendly. A lot of the UK has shoddy public transport and internet access so working from home isn't often an option. Worse, any infrastructure projects either take generations to happen (David Cameron initiated a process to determine whether Heathrow or Gatwick should get a new runway, it took five years to choose Heathrow) or they get gutted of all meaning for political reasons (HS2). Too much infrastructure has been handed to the private sector to languish and stagnate for the benefit of shareholders and foreign governments such as that of France.

Finally, we have productivity. For decades, the UK has had an enormous pool of skilled and unskilled labour to ruthlessly exploit. This has obviated the need to invest in productivity and that need is now more glaring than ever due to Brexit having diminished the UK's appeal as a destination for building a career. The government has made noises here and there about vocational training and apprenticeships but it's too little, too late when one looks at Germany.

Salonfire has once again dropped in a pithy Brexiter aphorism as if it were proven fact without doing any sort of research at all by the looks of things. Torching regulations is not the way forward. The UK market is small as you've said and the UK is a net importer. What remains of UK exports will of course have to meet foreign standards, much of which the UK has waived agency in drafting.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

22 trucks were checked randomly in Dover in a single weekend in Oct. In 21 they found illegal meat imports.

These are the kind of checks they should be doing on most imports but they haven't been able to since taking back control. And they wonder why we are concerned about the Northern Irish controls.

Maggot-infested meat discovered during lorry checks at Dover | News | The Times

Serious concerns over biosecurity as illegal pork products discovered at Dover - Farmers Guide

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

That is very, very debatable. If we were to truly hold China to our standards, their goods would be rejected based on the labour and environmental conditions that went into making them.

The UK was once a manufacturering power until unions distroyed their main industries. Still is in a lot of ways. Much of our processed food like cereal, biscuits and soups are manufactured there.

There's no reason they can't attract lower value manufacturing by providing a lower regulation business environment. Sure, the wages and conditions will be crap, but housing is cheap and wages are crap anyway in much of Britain like Northern England.

What businesses would not be attracted to an English speaking country with low regulatory standards and a large population of underemployed people?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

So are you saying it's a good idea for the UK government to exploit its population for profit by paying them next to nothing and providing them with no protections or supports?

How do you think that would go down with voters?

If there's a reputable economist who argues that the UK can rebuild a manufacturing export sector by slashing wages, working conditions and environmental standards, now would be a good time to name them.

We also have to remember the Brexiteer strategy of negotiating a networks of free trade deals to replace and (they fondly imagine) improve on the trade deals they lost by brexiting. Modern trade deals invariably include non-regression clauses on labour standards, environmental standards, etc, and the UK's new trade deals all include these. Even if the UK did want to beggar its population and destroy its environment in the way that salonfire imagines, the governments of other countries have no particular wish to expose their own domestic industries to competition from low-wage, low standard economies. They would pay a substantial domestic political price for doing so.

"How does China get away with it?" By not making trade deals, is the answer; China has virtually no trade deals with other countries. It relies on its produce being so cheap that, even if it suffers tariffs and other barriers to entry into export markets, it will still be competitive in those markets.

For the UK to follow this course would be a repudiation of the course the Brexit has taken up to now - not in favour of a more sane course, but in favour of an even more insane one. Why do I say this? Because in this scenario — abandoning trade deals, and instead competing by lowering wages and gutting labour and environmental standards — UK's principal competitor would be, yes, China itself. And, to a lesser extent, Vietnam, Indonesia, India and other industrialising developing-world economies who have adopted similar strategies. To compete successfully, the UK would need to lower wages, working conditions, environmental standards and standards of living to levels comparable with those prevailing in these competitor economies. A British government mad enough to adopt this objective would not last long.

More fact free conservative nonsense.

Thatcher destroyed manufacturing.

I see you've still not bothered to provide any sort of evidence for this.

Funny how we were told repeatedly that immigration reduces wages and now we have a Brexiter here telling us that wages and standards should be allowed to drop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"How does China get away with it?" By not making trade deals, is the answer; China has virtually no trade deals with other countries. It relies on its produce being so cheap that, even if it suffers tariffs and other barriers to entry into export markets, it will still be competitive in those markets.

Well exactly. China is China. It's utterly reductive, but you just can't point at China and go - why not us? Cos you ain't China, UK.

And getting really into the weeds of apples and oranges: even down to cultural consciousness, China's more collective based patterns would immediately chafe against the UK's noted love of individualism. Slash wages, remove Weekends, do all that - you'll have riots 10 days later because culturally much of the Western world values the rights of the individual over the more caste-based systems Eastwards of us.

That's not to say one mentality's better than the other - I think what works is something in the middle, leaning towards the collective as having priority over one person - but this repeated canard that "If only we did things like China" is a false path to explore. And aside from anything else always smells a little too adjacent to the thinking that people are layabouts and workshy - they just need to do an honest day's work. And evening's. And weekend's. And if they complain about wages, theyre just not working hard enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Advertisement