Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

I'm not excusing any of the carryon in town and don't consider myself a do gooder but if an addict wants help go get off drugs, what is available to them? There are very few detox beds and rehab places in the country so is what's happening on the streets a symptom of what's happening further up the chain?

Who'd be a guard, what would actually happen if they arrested any of them? Would they be processed and put back on the streets a few hours later to do the same thing again tomorrow and while they're in the station they probably have to give them a good feed so I doubt any of them are too afraid of the law. Up in court then with another charge to add up to the list of charges they're already up on, if they do get sentences they'll be concurrent. A former addiction from another part of the country told me once that prison suited him, he had better access to doctors and counsellors in there, he had a routine and 3 meals a day.

I've always been of the opinion that if someone is desperate enough to ask strangers for spare change then I'll give it to them if I have it, I won't miss a few euro and would be spending it on drink myself anyway but when there's so many of them and people are feeling intimidated I don't want to encourage that either. Does word get around that the area around the AIB and dealz is a good place to get people to part with money?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭2 fast

Is it true sports direct have pulled out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

Getting too dear to eat out lunch wise these days . One of the newer food establishments in centre of town put up their chicken burger meal , burger chips and drink was 11.95 decent value now it’s 14.95 . I know establishments have increased costs but everybody has a limit that if you breach you just won’t get the business .

I didn't hear but it wouldn't surprise me, the shop can be a bit all over the place but I did always like the downstairs part. For sports clothes it's easier to find what you want on their website.

If the town centre is losing footfall I can see why any business with a significant online presence would cut their losses tbh. A small grocer in another town told me he's paying the roughly the same amount in rates as aldi on the outskirts of the town. Things like that need to be looked at urgently if town centres are to thrive. No point in depending on coffee shops and food outlets when in general peoples disposable income might be falling. I can't complain about parking charges, last time I was in the town centre I was able to get what I went in for in the 30 minutes free in Mary St, no incentive to stay around and browse although coming up to Christmas they usually have free Saturdays. If they added a weekday like Monday or Thursday to that they might get people in on a quiet day.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Think between January and Easter will see a lot more businesses close down around town. Ref Mai’s, genuinely cannot understand for the life of me why they did not open on Saturdays, Market Place is now a complete dead duck even if the new Bodega brings some footfall around in the evenings.

Hub seems to be taking business away from every other cafe/restaurant around town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭2 fast

They made more money in Cahir on a Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 12,713 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Anyone hear Tierney's is closing? Post on facebook says Sean is retiring

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

In better news, this article with lovely photos has turned up on the travel section of the Guardian website today. Maybe it's in the print edition as well.......

On the Blueway to Tipperary: nature and history on Ireland’s new kayaking routes | Cycling holidays | The Guardian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭bmc58

Don't think there's any entrance or exit near that roundabout ! So what's the problem?

• Advertisement

I think the problem is that the stage is beside the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

The stage/performance area is located right beside that roundabout on The Mall. It's also the entrance/ exit point for pedestrians going into the plaza.

It looks like an odd location to hold a performance or event.

It may not be used for that though.

I didn't realise the water situation was so bad, we went to the cinema over the weekend for the first time in years and they had no draught drinks,only bottles, and the toilets were closed. Is that a regular thing or were we just unlucky with the day we chose to go and how are other businesses coping?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭klose

The cinema seems to have this issue a bit, don't go often myself but have seen it a few times so law of averages would say its fairly commen. Do see some of the local coffee shops say they're closed at times due to bo water now and then so maybe it's just a supply issue in the town?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

The new plaza will be a fine addition with a bit of greenery added.

Unfortunately I’m really not sure what they are at with the footpaths. Dillion street as well as Thomas street seem to be coming impassable for buses and cars never mind if two two buses/trucks come down them at the same time. Not great for one of the main access routes for busses to the bus station

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭cml387

Clonmel would be flooded again last night were it not for the defences in place. As it is I believe the Convent Bridge is closed (though this is allowed for in the flood plan).

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

Ronan, i could read the full article earlier, but it seems to be behind a paywall now.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,552 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Anywhere in Clonmel that does a nice cake that doesn't need to ordered in advance?

I'm not looking for anything fancy just a regular chocolate cake/Black Forest, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Dunnes Oakville - bakery counter - they have some nice fresh cream cakes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

when is screwfix opeing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭cml387

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Had 2 great shopping experiences in Clonmel over the last few days.

On Sat I went in to Rivesci for a coffee on the way down to town. Was chatting to Shannon and her partner while I was waiting for the coffee. Complimented them on their business and they were unbelieveably upbeat and positive about Clonmel. As I left I knew that they were very appreciative of my custom (it was only €5.50)

Then today I went in to Paul Tobin Buthchers, same thing, great positivity and "interest in doing business" - very impressed.

I know that we have a cost of living crisis, but we need to shop local, even if it costs a few quid extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Don’t let Clonmel Stories page hear you with positivity like that.

To be fair no Christmas lights in Clonmel this year is nothing short of a disgrace.

To be fair there is Christmas lights in clonmel this year…..

No need to be a smart arse. I’m delighted there will be lights this year.

• Advertisement

You said an hour ago there wasn’t going to be I merely pointed out there was going to be.

Advertisement