Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2022 T20 World Cup in Australia

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I think I agree, just watching on we seem to be very up & down. You never really know whether it's going to be a bad result against a weaker team, a win over same or a fighting performance against a classier one, or being hammered by a classier one. Lack of consistency. Only constant factor seems to be that we prefer the ball coming onto the bat quickly and struggle against slower spin bowling where the batsman needs to be more calculating?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭triddles

It didn't seem like that to me. I'm pretty close to the team so no I don't just watch the WC games. Anyway enjoy the wins and moan when we lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I haven't looked but I'd guess most teams win rates in this format are stuck between 45% and 55%. So it's close to impossible to achieve any level of what we'd call consistency. Tiny edges, and can only hope they go with you on key days. But people will generally over-react either way to both a win and a loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭josip

The BBC comments are great to read. Although most of them do accept their defeat graciously, there are some who have trouble coming to grips with the result. Here's an incomplete selection for those with better things to do with their day than I do.

"Credit for what? Ireland didn't win anything."

"its 20 overs just replay the game"

"Agree was always going to be difficult to beat Ireland in their own conditions"

"they were gifted the game courtesy of the D/L rain rules.."

"Ireland were “Given”, the win, nobody celebrates winning an incomplete game."

"T20 anyway is totally unpredictable, with so much luck involved. It's what makes it a bit crap, but also good fun to watch sometimes"

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭triddles

That may be the case for the bigger cricketing nations against each other. It wouldn't be the case for traditional big nations Vs the rest .So no point downplaying a very good performance today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

England Cricket fan here, no complaints from me, and well done to the Irish team.

I've been following Irish Cricket since the mid 90's when I moved here from the UK, it's never had proper exposure and it's good to see victories like yesterdays and the team get the recognition they deserve, that can only be a good thing to promote this wonderful sport here.

Watching live cricket, has to be one of the best days out you will ever have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Zimbabwe vs Pakistan

Pakistan require 131 to win

But it’s not an easy pitch or conditions to score…. ball is swinging and moving off the surface… bowers paradise. 4 overs into the Pakistani reply and dot balls a plenty and a wicket just goes down…20/1 after 4. Last over however screwed up an excellent start.

29 required from 18 but Pakistan are 6 down..

Zimbabwe will be dissatisfied with the constant misfields however, must have cost about 12 runs or so.

umpire then calls a wide for a ball that’s nearer the stumps then the edge of the pitch, Jesus. They get worse 😵‍💫

ahh Zimbabwe are throwing this away, fielding gone to fûck and bowlers delivering full waist high full tosses..were favourites but not the composure to get the job done.

Post edited by Strumms on

Another cracking last ball finish for Pakistan, and more heartbreak.

Yep… delighted for Zimbabwe but I was shouting at the TV when Chakabva dropped the ball for that last runout. Perfect throw to him but he dropped it, gladly enough time to regather and whip the bails off.

Zimbabwe rejoicing but absolute faces of stone on the Pakistani boys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Two very one-sided games followed by another cracker involving Pakistan. Zimbabwe's total looked nowhere near enough at halfway stage but that Perth pitch offers a nice bit for the bowler and they never let up.

Looks pretty ominous now for Pakistan as they now have to win out and hope that other results go their way. South Africa look like a good shout for a dark horse winner for the competition. They seem to have all the bases covered in their team.

Ireland back at the MCG tomorrow against Afghanistan as part of a double header with Australia and England. Ireland were poor to follow up the West Indies victory against Sri Lanka, so hopefully they match their performance of yesterday. This team has faced Afghanistan on multiple occasions so know exactly what is ahead of them. That bounce at the MCG seemed to suit them yesterday and Afghanistan struggled in Perth against England on a very similar pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Zimbabwe on 3 points with Bangladesh, Netherlands as well as India to come in with a right shot of making semi finals

Complete wrong thread

Not looking great for this match v Afghanistan I'm afraid

That game being abandoned not great for our hopes of finishing top 4 in the group or indeed our slim hopes of a top 2 placement and advancing to the semi finals

Big blow to get to play Afghanistan as that pitch would have suited us a lot more than them. The rainfall for the month of October in Melbourne is already over double it's annual average.

England vs Australia also off is a huge blow to the organisers. Looks like a better result for Australia than England though as they will be expected to beat Ireland and Afghanistan whilst England now have to beat New Zealand and Sri Lanka.

Sri Lanka getting hammered by NZ I see. Their NRR run rate stat is going to be hit, unless the last couple wickets make a stand or NZ ease of.

Easy win for New Zealand which puts them in pole position to qualify now. Rain is such a decider at the moment that it's difficult to rule out teams, but the Black Caps are surely going to be in the semi-finals.

Opportunity for Ireland to get at least top 4 spot which would guarantee qualification for the next T20 World Cup if they can get another upset win over either New Zealand or Australia.

I see Sri Lanka put on guts of 30 for that eight wicket stand. Might be the run rate that decides us from SL & AFG at the end, though whoever wins between them will jump us I see unless we get another point.

Well they have to play each other on Tuesday and so one of them will go ahead of us and therefore we need another win or the rain to continue.

• Advertisement

Yes I see you're right and no more matches affecting us in Melbourne. So not great prospect really, unless we pull something out of the hat. Every dog has his day I suppose but somehow or other, I kinda think we'll be hammered in both games left. Be good to be wrong though!

South Africa vs India an intriguing contest. India 105-6 after 16 overs…so an under-par total in the offing… SA handy favourites from this position. Really put a stranglehold on the India scoring in the last 3-4 overs.

133/9 is the Indian total… innings really fell away. Some very poor batting although credit too to the SA bowlers and fielders…. 6.7 the RRR for the chase. Unless there are some quite catastrophic brain farts on behalf of the South Africans with their batting, this should be a canter for them.

Saffers are 40/3 at the 10 over mark, so the required rate is up to 9.5.

They are probably still marginal favourites, but not finding it as easy as it looked.

SA start going well and as usual.. you can set your watch by it….Indian trainer/physio appears, A DELAY ! ….subsequently 12th man comes out with a fresh pair of gloves for Karthick, A DELAY ! new gloves for a wicket keeper after 13 overs on a cold day. It’s currently 13 degrees there.

team of *******

umpires do SFA again. Maybe too busy ignoring wides judging the last delivery. A foot over the batsman’s head.

Ireland win the toss and will bowl against the hosts

Nice start, McCarthy gets warner with his first ball

3 down now for 84 in the 11th over.

Brutal over from adiar. 26 runs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,440 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Delaney gave them confidence and then adair does that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

That was hard to watch, all the hard work undone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,440 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

40 runs last 2 overs. Sensational fielding from Mccarthy on the boundary though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Was just about to post 200 looking possible and then a wicket. Still think we're goosed, can't see us chasing down 180ish

Good recovery this

If they get in sub 170 it would be some recovery and give a semblance of a real chance

• Advertisement

Not again

Surely someone else could have bowled one, his confidence must be rock bottom

Pre planned to have at end?

Third of all runs taken off Adair this time.

I'm a glass half full kinda person, but think we'll do well to get past 100.

Statement of intent or sign of stupidity there 😄

Oh dear...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭wicorthered

This is all on Stirling. A wicket falls and he plays a shot like that. He just puts huge pressure on a fragile batting unit, with sheer stupidity. Absolutely braindead batting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

This could be embarrassing....

Demolition Derby out there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

Important that we bat the 20 overs to salvage something from the disaster - and we could also affect Australia's net run rate which might have negative consequences for them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,330 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

cant see another 10 overs with only 4 wickets left.

a disaster of a batting performance

Id rather see the Aussies through than the English

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Strange decision from Tucker to give up the strike at the end of both of the last two overs. Probably wouldn't have made much difference in the end though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Fair play to Tucker, gave it a good go almost on his own, but what was he doing rotating the strike for the last two overs - crazy!

Fair play to Tucker but some of the others need to have a chat with themselves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement