Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a liver issue but want to workout and move to a vegan diet. Is this advisable?

Options
  • 20-12-2020 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I have a liver issue which has been diagnosed last year, and doctors have not been able to pinpoint the exact cause (I haven't gone on a check up since then). Since I rarely drink alcohol even before the diagnosis, I suspect that I have non-alcoholic fatty liver syndrome due to maybe unhealthy food diet I have had over the past years, and I also stopped going to gym on a regular basis. Now, I want to resume going to gym regularly and also I have been planning to go on a vegan diet. Is it alright to do these even though I have a liver problem? I have gone to gym before, but I suffered from awful post-workout fatigue, which I have only just recently realised that it was lactic acidosis caused by failure of the liver to breakdown the lactic acid.

I am still skinny, so it may not look like it, but it appears my internal organs have accumulated fat, and perhaps I could be considered "obese". My brother did a bit of research and suggested that I should cut down on sugary foods and do fasting to burn the internal fat. Would a vegan diet help me on my health issue while also being able to do workout? Or is it not recommended to workout and go vegan at the same time, while I still have a prevailing health problem?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Talk to your doctor.

This is a serious medical issue, and needs the advice of a professional. Return to your doctor, get a full diagnosis. No advice on diet, workout, lifestyle etc would be appropriate without a full medical evaluation, and a discussion with doctor and qualified dietician, physiotherapist etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marko99

Would you not consider seeking professional medical advice, instead of asking anonymous randomers on the interweb?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 I Corps

marko99 wrote: »
    Would you not consider seeking professional medical advice, instead of asking anonymous randomers on the interweb?

Might be embarassing to say but I don't have a GP...it was my college clinic who looked into but I am no longer in college so I don't have a doctor to consult to.

Edit: Also, the last doctor who checked up on me didn't think my issue is to do with diet. However, my mother who is a nurse, asked another doctor on her workplace that liver problem could also be caused by bad diet. I have gone on mostly fish diet since diagnosis and less on farm meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I Corps wrote: »
    Might be embarassing to say but I don't have a GP...

Not giving medical advice, just my experience.

I also have NAFLD.

I reduced my intake of animal proteins, simple carbs, processed food and sugar. I upped my intake of fruit and veg and exercise.

Thats pretty much what you need to do to shift fat from your liver.

Also, go see a GP and get a referral for a liver scan.

• Advertisement

I reduced my intake of animal proteins, simple carbs, processed food and sugar. I upped my intake of fruit and veg and exercise.

My mother is a nurse and advised me the same and my brother also said that sugar is a major culprit. Do you know if consuming fish is okay though? I also did up my veg and fruit consumption.

And by exercise, do you also mean anaerobic exercise like lifting weights, or just aerobic one like running?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

My mother is a nurse and advised me the same and my brother also said that sugar is a major culprit. Do you know if consuming fish is okay though? I also did up my veg and fruit consumption.

And by exercise, do you also mean anaerobic exercise like lifting weights, or just aerobic one like running?

Fish is fine, preferably those with high Omega 3...salmon and tuna etc.

Any exercise is better than none, cardio would be preferable.

Cool, thanks for that!

If you don't mind me asking, has your liver improved since?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

A vegan diet is not healthy by default, you could consume nothing but oreos and coke and still be on a vegan diet. A whole food, plant based diet, which is vegan by default, has many health benefits and when done right, can see improvement and possible reversal of a number of ailments and diseases, as well as improvements in other areas too. This is a great website to look at, and here's a page on it on this very subject:
    https://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-vegan-food-always-healthy/

You need to see a professional to discuss this more thoroughly, but do your research and increase your fruit, veg etc now, as every unhealthy thing you consume in the mean time, is a missed opportunity to have something healthier that can benefit you.

Here's a great talk by an Irish GP on his experience doing medicine in Ireland and the approach to how diet can affect health. If you don't have a GP, perhaps an appointment at his clinic would be a good choice:

There's evidence with fish in general, including salmon and tuna, as to increased levels of toxins in the liver as well as other pollutants:

https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/fish/

It'd be a safer bet to get your omega 3's from algae.

• Advertisement

Might be embarassing to say but I don't have a GP...it was my college clinic who looked into but I am no longer in college so I don't have a doctor to consult to.

Edit: Also, the last doctor who checked up on me didn't think my issue is to do with diet. However, my mother who is a nurse, asked another doctor on her workplace that liver problem could also be caused by bad diet. I have gone on mostly fish diet since diagnosis and less on farm meat.

You really need to get on a GP's books as you need monitoring/investigation. One condition that has appeared in my family had been harmochromatosis, which is caused by a genetic fault causing over-absorption of iron, a common Irish genetic problem. That is a very serious issue, has resulted in one (very successful) liver transplant in the family a couple of decades back. The person could have avoided a transplant had they been diagnosed and treated in time. Really important to know exactly what the issue is, as the management of various liver conditions is very different.

First thing to do is find a GP in your area who has space on the list:

https://www.icgp.ie/go/find_a_gp

https://www2.hse.ie/services/find-a-gp/

https://www2.hse.ie/services/medical-cards/gps-who-accept-medical-cards.html

https://www.whatclinic.com/doctors/ireland

Catmaniac, a quick video with some helpful info here on that:

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/donating-blood-to-prevent-cancer/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

cormie wrote: »
    Catmaniac, a quick video with some helpful info here on that:

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/donating-blood-to-prevent-cancer/

Beware of experts selling their own ideas ...

Already posted elsewhere
    Not a reliable source by any stretch of the imagination. Another junk science merchant like Dr Oz, Mercola and Mike Adams to name just a few.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/death-as-a-foodborne-illness-curable-by-veganism/

Edit: OP I'd suggest go see a GP first.

I don't think anyone is claiming people following even the healthiest whole food plant based diets aren't going to die. But there is strong evidence to suggest following such a diet will have health benefits, so what's there to lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi I Corps. Did you go and stay vegan?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Do not go on a vegan diet. Go on a healthy diet. Lean meat is not unhealthy. Cut down as much as you can of your starchy carb intake and bad fats. Replace with lean protein, good fats, and more veg. Don't do anything extreme.

A vegan diet that's done properly can be perfectly healthy. Veganism goes beyond just the diet. What's extreme is factory farming and unnecessarily killing animals.

---

"It is the position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics that appropriately planned vegetarian, including vegan, diets are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits for the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. These diets are appropriate for all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, adolescence, older adulthood, and for athletes. Plant-based diets are more environmentally sustainable than diets rich in animal products because they use fewer natural resources and are associated with much less environmental damage. Vegetarians and vegans are at reduced risk of certain health conditions, including ischemic heart disease, type 2 diabetes, hypertension, certain types of cancer, and obesity. Low intake of saturated fat and high intakes of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes, soy products, nuts, and seeds (all rich in fiber and phytochemicals) are characteristics of vegetarian and vegan diets that produce lower total and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels and better serum glucose control. These factors contribute to reduction of chronic disease. Vegans need reliable sources of vitamin B-12, such as fortified foods or supplements."

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

Most vitamins in vegetable are precursors and require heavy liver involvement to digest and activate via chain of enzymatic reactions.

With liver being damaged (malfunctioning) vegan diet is not optimal solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I advised him not go on a vegan diet because of his liver issue. If they want's to go on a vegan diet when it's sorted that's up to them. Going on a vegan diet now is complicating things.

As for the rest I'll say this: There is no vegan diet that is healthier that my diet which is 30% meat/dairy and the rest is Vegan! A vegan diet can only be as healthy or less healthy, not more healthy. The rest has to do with the environment and that's irrelevant here.

You say "require heavy liver involvement"? I've never heard that before. Any sources to back it up?

• Advertisement

"30% meat/dairy" -- That's a lot of saturated fat & cholesterol.

Who's to say that a vegan diet can't be healthier than yours?

I am more for balance diet including healthy vegetable. However, I am against vegan/vegetable lifestyle, especially for the elderly and people with liver/pacreactic damages will lead to malnutrition.

1. Many vegetables come with natural toxins to protect themselves from insects. With damaged liver toxins eventually start leaking and cause to elevate health issues.

2. Some popular vegetables high in oxalates and calcium and with damaged liver creating the perfect mix for kidney stones.

3. Some vitamins in vegetables precursors hence require additional enzymes to convert to human friendly versions.

4. Commercially grown veg is low in nutrients (not as advertised on google) and also sprayed with a variety of harmful chemicals(damaged liver cant cope with that) which could cause cancer, Alzheimer's Disease, ADHD, and even birth defects.

5. Many veg actually anti nutrients, preventing absorption of essential nutrients.

I hope you have enough keywords for research :)

Best to look at statements from the worlds leading dietetic associations on vegan diets rather than posts on a forum. They all agree a well planned vegan diet is perfectly adequate for all stages of life including infancy, pregnancy and old age, and can help prevent common diseases.

This video has some great advice on the exact issue, you can either pass it off as vegan propaganda as spouted by some users here, or pay attention to the studies and advice:

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-best-diet-for-fatty-liver-disease-treatment/

I rather pay attention to scientific data than to some sort of association. Facts vs. blah blah blah, I would prefer facts do you?

Lot's of FUD.

Not a single citation.

It's not too hard to cut back on high oxalate foods.

I've never heard a doctor tell people to cut back on their veggies.

Most doctors are chemists and never trained in Nutrition hence can't advise anyone on food except everything in moderation.

And if you want to find scientific data all you have to do is Google it. I am not here to give you lecture do your own research and eat what you want in comparison to junk food veg probably be a better choice.

I also never heard doctors would prescribe to cut back on pizza, pasta, canned soup, margarine (called somehow butter), ice cream or sausages with red sauce on a white bread sandwich..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Regarding the workout.. obviously seek doctors advice but the opinion of medical experts regarding exercising and liver problems seems to favour doing moderate regular exercise…

programs such as www.exwell.ie and others facilitate organised indoor classes that are medically supervised… might be worth a look.

they first require a letter from your GP to attend though so they will truly evaluate your suitably.

When every major dietetic association are individually basing their statements off scientific data and facts and unanimously agree a vegan diet is healthful for all stages of life, I think it's safe to assume this is correct information.

You state in your next post how doctors aren't trained in nutrition like that's a bad thing, which I agree, doctors shouldn't be seen as authorities on nutrition. But then what good is someone trained in nutrition to you, if they are being qualified by the associations you've just dismissed as authorities on nutrition?

Group of people for one or the other reason voting for veg only diet vs. group of scientists both saying the opposite. Would you believe facts based on scientific data or group of people making statements?

• Advertisement

I haven't a clue what you're talking about? Are you confusing unanimously with anonymously?

Advertisement