Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Looks like Age of Empires 2 (Definitive Edition) and 4 are coming to console, to be announced later today.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The update will also break almost all mods, which are pretty much a requirement for the game these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

First still for the Amazon Fallout tv show... That's certainly a vault!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I love AOE2 but can't imagine playing it with a controller. Never even tried an RTS on console, is it painful to transition to?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

• Advertisement

Oh kb&m for sure. But rts games on controller are not impossible to adjust to.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have to say, having played Tooth & Tail fadó, RTS games on a controller are possible - both playing nice, and still maintaining that sense of depth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just remember there was a starcaft port to N64, and it wasn't bad. The 360 C&C games did a good job of the controls as well. And even the Megadrive had a port of Dune 2.

You won't be working out your micro but you can still enjoy the single player.

What I'm really waiting for is kbm on xcloud. It's possible, I mean stadia and GFN can do it and it works well.

How brilliant would it be if they timed this with the AE release. Oh and by the way, you can play kbm on the cloud. Mic drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭Penn

One of the games that CD Projekt Red announced under a codename has been revealed as a remake of The Witcher in Unreal Engine 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

This is one of those occasions where I think a complete reworking from the ground up is justified.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah I'm quite glad of it. Always wanted to start the Witcher but it's built on the Neverwinter nights engine which on release was beyond dated. It was modded by CD projekt within an inch of not working so it's really janky to go back to.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Great, now having waited two years for the next gen version of Witcher 3 to arrive so I can replay it, I’m going to have to wait another 5 so I can play the remastered trilogy in the proper order. Dammit.

And then I’ll have to wait for them to re-remaster Witcher 3.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Please let unreal engine 5 have fixed the shader stutters on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Rocksteady Studios Co-founders & Studio Heads Sefton Hill & Jamie Walker Have Made The Decision To Leave The Studio

Saw a recent game compiled shaders on boot. It should be in every modern pc release.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

This one actually shocked me. Always loved the games Riko Kodama worked on and she was instrumental in a lot of Sega's biggest games. She was one of the few prominent female videogame developers from that time. I just find it bizarre that we have not heard of her passing back in May until fans spotted a tribute to her in the Sega megadrive 2 mini.

Some of the games she worked on are sonic 1 and 2, phantasy star 1, 2 and 4, skies of arcadia, Valkyria Chronicles, Alex Kidd in miracle world, shadow dancer and deep fear. A lot of her work she was never credited for so it's hard to say what she helped out in but it's likely she had a hand in a huge amount of Sega's console game development.

Edit: Sega did not release the details on request of the family.

Post edited by Retr0gamer on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It has begun....

EA are killing off physical distribution in the German market. I'd expect this to expand rapidly, with other companies and other countries.

Link in German, so you'll need to translate it, but really, it's just all ominous for physical games. Thought that maybe the next gen would be the last with physical games, but no, looks like it's this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Usually not fan of this sort of craic but you can't help but wonder the enviromental impact involved in their yearly releases getting binned the following year as they've next-to-zero resell/replay value.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There is no point in releasing discs if it's just a couple of files that need a hefty download to work. See this story... https://www.eurogamer.net/modern-warfare-2s-disc-has-a-whopping-70mb-of-data

That is hugely wasteful and unnecessary, with the only possible benefit being that it means some price competition between retailers.

But physical media is still essential for archiving and accessibility purposes, and the EA / Activision carry-on is very much not the norm as most games do ship in complete form (albeit unpatched, obviously). It'd be an ominous sign if all physical versions were phased out. But equally, it wouldn't be the end of the world if it shifted to a more niche market like we see with Blu-Ray these days - where there's a focus on collector audiences and high-quality releases from boutique labels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I think the move to digital only does comes with advantages for archival, I'm not an advocator of piracy, but it's only thanks to some efforts in this area that many games are available today.

I think what will be particularly interesting is how this impacts the next generation of console design.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Great for PC players, awful for Playstation owners dealing with 80 euro for new releases.

Don't see any advantage for PC owners?

For console. Well you can see how bad Sony are now with their walled garden store, wait until it's a true market place monopoly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭quokula

PSN sales are often better value than Steam sales tbh and have been for years, it's a very outdated view that there are no bargains to be had on console.

I haven't bought a game on disc in years for any console, the only physical titles I've bought have been a couple of Switch cartridges as that's the only one where the store is consistently more expensive than retailers.

No second hand market of course but for me personally that's a small price to pay for all the hassle, storage space, and waste that comes from physical copies.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ha, it's been that long since my pc gaming days, I forgot no one buys cd-roms anyway, ah the good ol days.

Quokula, very true about the sales but new releases, especially 1st party ones are just too much at 80 euro when the likes of Smyths seek for 60 & 70. Gimme if you can wait but day 1 purchases are nasty this gen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I do agree - I'm not anti-digital by any stretch, and fully appreciate that emulators or fan-made patches are the best way to play many classic games these days. Pirates / digital archivists (depending on your preferred phraseology :P) often fill the role gaming companies themselves should be filling. And also worth noting that older consoles can give a sub-optimal experience on modern TVs without significant modding - if they work at all given many display through now-obsolete connection types.

But equally for anyone with a decent game library having a disc or cartridge to hand is often the easiest way to simply boot up a game in its original form, to use old peripherals or unique hardware, or even just to back-up a copy for future use. And even the excellent efforts Microsoft has done with regards backwards compatibility mean the best way to experience many original Xbox / 360 games is simply to pop your old disc into an Xbox One or XBSX. And given the unfortunate examples of prominent games being unceremoniously pulled from digital storefronts, disc or pirate copies are often the only enduring copies of any given game.

Yes, there's no support. The only way is to use a remapper. This one works with cloud (it will say it has detected a controller): https://www.rewasd.com/

But its an exercise in twiddling settings and sensitivities.

• Advertisement

I'm sure they can solve the game archival question without having to sell discs. At the very least, piracy and emulators will take care of that.

Physical discs days were numbered when sharing and borrowing games was no longer the norm. I used to only have to buy every 2nd or 3rd game. If a friend already owned the game I would buy a different game and then we'd swap when we were finished.

At some point borrowing and swapping games was no longer the norm. You'd either never see it again (lent to some else who lent it to someone else outside your circle of friends, bye bye game). Or you'd get it back scratched to bits.

Besides, at my age there's nobody to swap games with 😄

If I'm going to buy all my games it's going to be digital all the way. I see no advantage whatsoever to physical media nowadays.

Advertisement