Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminal Justice (Incitement to Violence or Hatred and Hate Offences) Bill 2022 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

It's not but it doesn't have to be for some one to consider it derogatory, the old defamation laws etc are still there too, these are just a few new things/words to consider too.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It isn't about being derogatory, it is about inciting hatred. defamation is totally separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Interested whether this law could be used against speakers from other countries that speak here on controversial topics such as Jordan Peterson. Generally Ive never heard anything that offensive in face to face conversations compared to online anonymous discourse where more extreme views are commonly shared.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

In the original draft of the bill it sought to make 'hate' an aggravating factor when charging a person with a crime.

In other words, if someone were to assault a person and make racist or homophobic remarks while doing so they (in theory) be charged with aggravated assault, with the aggravating factor being the hate speech.

Similarly, if one were to vandalize a property and tag it with racist graffiti or symbols then it would be aggravated criminal damage etc...

In short, it's not a stand alone crime. It's an attachment added to other charges.

Once the final draft of the legislation is published we will see if that is still the case

It is covered in law though so same thing, don't do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Kumejima

Ever notice how people tend to use the insults that best describe their own faults? Liars are fond of calling other people liars, cowards will call others cowards, Pricks will call other people pricks.

I myself rarely use the term "liar" because I pretty much never lie. I do use the term "inconsiderate asshole" when on the road and yet another black Audi decides he can't be arsed following the rules because I have that tendency myself.

I would never call anyone a hateful **** Boggles, but I find it interesting that you do.

I'm sure you have ALL the right political opinions though 😄

This is not about hatred of transgenders, its about compelling others to literally deny objective reality.

If you ask me to respect your pronouns I'll probably do it, I don't want to be hurtful. If you demand that I do it, I'll say no, you don't have that right to demand I address you a certain way, no more than I can compel you to address me as "Your majesty". When you try to use the legal system of the land to compel me on pain of fines or imprisonment to address you a certain way then its a firm "Hell no!"

"How does it affect your life in any way?".

Easy, you're compelling me to lie. To deny objective reality to spare someones feelings. And I don't like to lie.

I wouldn't go around telling 6 year olds there's no santa, but if the government could put me in prison for denying his existence, I'd be forced to KNOWINGLY LIE in certain situations or be deprived of my liberty. That's how it would affect my life. I could have my life destroyed for refusing to participate in someone elses fantasy?

If you're born with XY chromosomes you're a man, if you're born with XX chromosomes you're a woman. How could something thats factually and biologically true be hate speech? Unless reality itself is hateful?

If you hate the reality of your existence because of the gender you were born as that's a YOU problem. Not a me problem, or a societal problem. Live your life and leave the rest of us out of it.

defamation is nothing to do with hate speech laws. defamation is a civil tort not criminal law.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,387 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The thread is about inciting hatred. If you cannot speak publicly without inciting hatred then you are the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

We allow people in who destroy their documentation, we deport a tiny amount of people and we have a minister promising people accommodation.

If you want to show me links to measures we have in place that contradict that then please go ahead.

Would you care to address any points in the post?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - This is completely off topic, there are other threads where this can be discussed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 39,998 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I would never call anyone a hateful **** Boggles, but I find it interesting that you do

Good for you, but I am struggling to see how it is "interesting" unless of course you have a very naïve view of the world.

Unfortunately there is hateful cúnts out there, it's a fact. If there wasn't we wouldn't need legislation.

Same way we wouldn't need laws for drunk driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

What about those with xxy and xyy chromosomes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Allegedly threatening someone, a 5’0” female threatening a 5’10”+ man?? Give your head a wobble.

And the blank sheet of paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,387 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Arrested for asking about their gender? Give your head a wobble

• Registered Users Posts: 15,921 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

And that is where you are wrong. There is more than two Genders. Maybe you should look up the definition of Gender.

There is only three sexs yes,

There is male female and intersex.

But there is more than three genders.

How many genders are there in world?

There are many different gender identities, including male, female, transgender, gender neutral, non-binary, agender, pangender, genderqueer, two-spirit, third gender, and all, none or a combination of these.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

No suggestion anywhere that she was drunk. She left when asked. Asking a man to leave a woman’s toilet is causing trouble nowadays??

What was she charged with to be arrested? She was released soon after. Surely trespass, drunk and disorderly, or a public order offence would be a slam dunk if your nonsense is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,921 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

As for these new laws good about time. I am delighted.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,998 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

According to the "article" you posted. She spent the evening drinking until 2am.

Kate told Reduxx that, after an evening of drinking with the women

She left when asked

No she didn't.

Police were called to a bar in Cardiff city centre over alleged "transphobic" comments and threats made by several women to another member of the public. The women had been removed by door staff but refused to leave the bar.

South Wales Police were called at 2am on Monday, October 24, to a bar in the city's Mill Lane. Inspector Darren Grady said they had received reports that "a number of females were refusing to leave the premises after making transphobic comments and threats to a member of public inside". A woman aged 54 was arrested on suspicion of a public order offence but was later de-arrested following the input of the alleged victim

But but but Fraydumbs. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I read the article you linked yet I'm wondering if we read the same article.

here is some snippets from your article.

“I said, ‘you’re a man, you shouldn’t be in here,'” Kate explained, going on to describe that the man and some female patrons began shouting abuse at her. “When I was down there, there was absolutely no one supporting me.”

The complainant went off on one and no one supported her. Doesn't that sound like a her problem?

Then

Kate says bar staff were then alerted, and, while she was still in the restroom, approached her and demanded she leave.

Kate provided phone camera footage for Reduxx to review of the initial interaction she had with bar staff. In the video, a female staff member with yellow-and-pink hair accuses Kate of having threatened violence against the trans-identified male, an allegation she adamantly denies.

So the only actual evidence seen by the author of the article is a video where the complainant who by her own words was supported by no one is shown being accused of threats of violence.

But your hot take Fandy is she was totally in the right despite the accusations of violence committed by Kate and Kate being supported by no one.

🤣🤣

allegedly,yes. that is what the police usually operate from, allegations.

“The man was a lot larger than me, so I don’t know why I would do that,” Kate said,

Perhaps because she was pissed. is that so hard to believe?

read the article

The police later said the reason for her arrest was on suspicion of a public order offense but that she was later de-arrested following the input of the alleged victim.

Strange hill to die on @Fandymo

Blank page guy wasn't arrested

The woman in the other article is full of inconsistencies, as mentioned above, not to mention she,

A) Filmed people in the bathroom

B) Followed staff outside and continued to film them

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ChickenDish

Can't argue about the lack of policing the roads. But being prosecuted for hate speech will be for those on the extreme end of things, not some guy on a random forum saying I only believe in 2 genders.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,892 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So you think that wimmin (ie people who gave cúnts are hateful?

I think that is an example od hate speech in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Ha ha ...what an interpretation!!

You can see how Irish people are so subservient, no wonder our politicians and institutions abuse us so much, you don't need to know what the law contains to know that we suffer from Institutional abuses all the time!!! (Endemic Political Corruption, Banking Crisis, Church Sex Abuse Scandals) you want to give these people more power!! If any young people are reading this, get out of here, find a country where they don't police speech!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I think @Boggles is making the point that he’s just not a hateful one, as distinct I suppose from a loving one… 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

You don't need to be charged with anything to be arrested. They're two different things. Being arrested is simply being held by the police, and can be done merely under the suspicion of committing an offence. There were allegations of harassments made to the police and according to the article, and it certainly appears - even from the one-sided story that the article gives us from her perspective alone - that she was not co-operative with the police. An arrest under those circumstances wouldn't be unusual. They even put the handcuffs on her so loosely that they were almost falling off her.

Harassing someone and telling them that they have to leave a place that they have a perfect legal entitlement to be in, not to mention the explicit permission of the management of the place, is certainly causing trouble under any reasonable definition of the term.

And she didn't leave when asked. According to the article, she followed the bar staff out of the building, and continued to harass them as she did so.

It's quite telling that an article written entirely from her point of view that is supposed to be framing her as the victim in the situation can't help but cast her in such a bad light. I mean, exclaiming "I do not consent to men being in the women’s toilets" - aside from the bigoted and deliberate misgendering - is a ridiculous display of entitlement. She has no more power to decide who goes into the toilets than she does who sits beside her on a bus.

Advertisement