Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emigratingbto UK - late 50s

• 25-10-2022 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Hannaho

I've come to the end of the road with my career here. I have a masters qualification. There are very few jobs related to my masters qualification here, but they are crying out for my qualification in many parts of UK. I woukd be earning 55k sth working 9 to 5. I have a choice between 3 x jobs and all have agreed to pay for extra training. This could lead me into a lecturing role and would be a job I could work at until late 60s. I have hardly any pension due to times in and out of work due to family commitments. 1 x Irish State pension and have 22 years of UK pension - lived there 25 years ago for 7 years. My children are 20 plus, so college fees are the only expense. No mortgage on home and have rental property with no mortgage. Would I be mad in my late 50s to take this opportunity in UK.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Gimme a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Hannaho

A partner, but we only see each other every second weekend as they live 150 miles away. They would come over once per month and I would return once a month.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

If your lecturing role would be in higher education in the UK, I would think very carefully - HE in the UK is frankly put a binfire, has been for the last several years and is getting steadily worse (in part due to funding issues).

In terms of the work, if it's that in-demand in the UK you could always see if they'll hire you to work remotely. That would mitigate some of the upheaval.

Honestly, though, I'd be suggesting that anyone who wants to move to the UK wait 6 months and see if the new PM and cabinet are any less useless at tackling the actual problems facing the country than the previous ones have been over the last few months. I'm stuck here for now and not exactly enthused about that state of affairs...

Thanks, Fysh. I was hoping to use the extra training qualification to return to Ireland and get a job training others in my qualification here. One of the jobs offered is in Scotland.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

What are you trying to achieve by doing this? You are in your late fifties and most people prefer to get out early rather than hang around until they are in their late 60s.

• Advertisement

Hi! Jim2007. I am a nurse with a masters in forensic rehabilitation. There are very few jobs for thos here. I have the qualification 20 years. I get small amounts of work each year but not enough to live on, and to get the work is based on who you know. My base qualification is nursing, but 12 hr shifts are killing me. I now do 2 x 12 hrs shifts together rather than 3, but I am still exhausted. I can do nursing until 65 but I coyod do a job in forensic rehab in UK as it would be 9 to 5. O don't want yo move but don't know how I will work in nursing for another years.

Thanks for the information, but it does not tell us your objectives. Are you trying to build a pension pot, relocate permanently etc... Up rooting yourself, leaving everyone you know etc at that stage in life (I'm 59) would need some strong motivators to keep you there.

Hi! Jim2007, my motivation for moving is to be able to continue in a job that I can do and earn some income until I reach 65. I am not bothered re pension. I have been in and out if nursing jobs, taking years out, working pat-time and then full-time since my children were born, so besides my Irish contributory State pension and 22 years of my UK pension, I will only have 3k a year of a nursing pension.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

@Hannaho from your earlier comment about living in UK I assume you've moved country before, so have some idea what to expect - I suppose the main question is how long you would expect the move to last.

One factor is that many companies will require you to sign a contract stating that you'll either stay in post for X months/years or pay back (some of) the cost of the training if you leave sooner. This dovetails somewhat with Jim2007's question around what your goal is - is the focus to get the training and a set amount of experience in the UK before returning to Ireland? What's the minimum amount of time the prospective employers would want you to remain in-post in the UK?

The main thing I would suggest thinking about (aside from my earlier comment about waiting a few months to see if UK politics settles down somewhat) is the social aspect - depending on where you live and work it may be quite difficult to build a new social network. Some workplaces are better than others at providing support around relocation so it's a conversation worth having with them.

Well with such a small pension pot and so few years to go, if it were me I'd be very concerned about it and I would only take on such a move it was going to make a significant improvement in my financial position.

• Advertisement

Thanks Jim2007. I qm worried re pension pot but there is no way I can make it up now. I will be lucky if I am able to.make another 2 years in my current job as long shifts. I have a rental property where I rent our some rooms and also have no mortgage on my home. I am hoping these will help for pension, but maybe I shouldn't rely on this?

Well at this point you need to ensure that you don't make any decisions the will reduce your pot further.

From a practical point of view a house does not have much to recommend it in retirement beyond the feeling that you own it. It does not generate income, it requires maintenance, It's beyond your actual needs and so operating costs are higher than they need to be and as you get older, maintaining the gardens etc.. becomes more difficult. From an investment point of view it's an illiquid asset, which means it could be difficult to realise when needed while preserving the value. I would be looking for a good opportunity to downsize and realise at least some of the capital towards a pension pot.

Likewise moving to a foreign country does not come cheap, as an older person you are unlikely to be happy living out of an AirBnb or a hostel. So you are going to have additional expenses in terms of rent, probably some odds and sods in the furniture area etc.. So I'd want to be sure that the move does not end up costing me money.

Do you have any skills or opportunities that mind generate income?

A conversation with a financial adviser would probably help you to figure out the best plan for retirement and beyond, which would then inform how you approach this move, if you decide to go ahead with it.

It sounds like your motivation for moving is purely work-related, so having a clear plan around your goal is important. That includes things like what you'll be saving vs spending, how long you'll be in the UK for, how often you'll be able to return home for visits, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 whee5

• What part of the UK?

What about him? The kids are gown up and in college, so should have no impact whatsoever.

Thanks for all the replies and things I need to consider. Fysh - it's definitely just for work until I reach 64/65. With training there I could be on Stg 65k within 3 years. I would be working 5 days in 4 in Scotland. I would come home for 4 x days once per month and for 3 of my 5 weeks holidays. My partner would come over 1 x month for 4 days. My partner lives 2 x hrs away here so we don't see each other every weekend now. Jim2007 - I have virtually no pension pot bar State pension in UK and Ireland, but I have a rental property with no mortgage to sell in retirement, as well as my own home to downsize from, which has no mortgage, so I won't be too badly off. I am also quite frugal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

I know of several women that moved to London to work as nurses and theyre much happier than they where working as nurses here, id say go for it, if it doesnt work out you can move back home! You never know until you try and its only to late to try anything new when youre dead which you arent so go for it!

Thanks for your reply and vote of confidence in my expedition. A lot of nurses that I know too are happier in the UK - better promotional opportunities - different work culture - a bit less bullying and the antibullying policies in the UK are generally taken seriously. I will be working in healthcare in the UK but not in nursing.

Advertisement