Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Deffintly, they would only love a weak Euro. I hope so, increasing month on month figures comming out of the US would tend to say it seems to be increasing all the while there, I don't see them taming inflation back to their target in the next few years without going higher big time on rates which will cause something drastically to go wrong like a debt crisis/fiancial crisis. It will be stomach high inflation or fight it and cause another GFC and stomach higher inflation due to QE and rate lowering during a period of already high inflation in the aftermath.

Tough balancing act, but you have to say they made a complete balls of it, should have lifted rates slowly and consistently since inflation reached 2% back mid 2021. Of course Russia has absolutely not helped but they did get it so wrong.

I still believe they will choose a pivot when I time comes as it is the political easy thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Do governments think they have oppressed people enough with lockdowns and covid for the last few years that the general population can be beaten down into submission and just deal with what you said or will people actually rise up. I would like to see people stand up for themselves but as a society when it comes down to it we may just end up rolling over and taking it. This I suspect is what the government's are banking on if they go down that route.

It is an extreme risk to take, I don't think people will fold that easily somehow expecially if this stagflationary episode comes with high inflation, high unemployment coupled with a pivot, low interest rates and unlimited QE that is used to bail out the fiancial system and prop up asset prices and housing while the average joe is getting skrewed.

I would tend to agree with you, I don't think people will tolerate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

The thing with inflation is that it’s not just the input costs or QE that are generating inflation it is the expectation of inflation.

Businesses that need to reprice due to an increase in costs add on a buffer for future inflation and by doing so generate higher inflation. When energy costs drop they won’t lower their prices…man on the street needs more money to pay bills and demands a wage increase or he will find a job elsewhere yet again more inflation.

until the rate rises generate unemployment and a slow down in the jobs market it will continue and wage inflation will maintain houses prices at current nominal prices. Yet in real terms they are dropping in value.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,948 ✭✭✭hometruths

Good to see you've dropped that transitory nonsense!

It started as transitory and probably would have fallen away only for the war with Russia.

I think I said at the end of last year inflation would fall back unless oil jumped to over 100 usd a barrel and guess what happened when Russia started the war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,948 ✭✭✭hometruths

OK, so at the end of last year did you think that the expectation of inflation did not cause inflation and it was just a temporary rise in input costs?

Because now it seems like it’s not just the input costs or QE that are generating inflation it is the expectation of inflation.

Businesses that need to reprice due to an increase in costs add on a buffer for future inflation and by doing so generate higher inflation. When energy costs drop they won’t lower their prices…man on the street needs more money to pay bills and demands a wage increase or he will find a job elsewhere yet again more inflation.

That's why the transitory argument was always suspect.

the expectation of inflation always causes inflation…I even said so last year when I said the longer it persists it runs the risk of being embedded in the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

I see in the news there's a huge push to get housing for the thousand odd asylum seekers arriving to Ireland each week, with the government even increasing the payment to €800 to those that take on some asylum seekers.

What I don't get is why there isn't a massive focus on getting more housing built so companies can continue to hire educated, well paid workers as the country will go bankrupt if it keeps borrowing to pay for asylum seeker accommodation without at the same time raising more revenue by, for example, creating more housing for more workers to come in and pay tax. At the moment, because of housing more than anything else, economic growth has stalled in the country - MNCs employed generous WFH policies during COVID in order to try to adapt to the lack of housing in Ireland for their workers and now, quite simply, workers aren't being shipped into the country anymore as there's no where for them to live. Meta now looks like it could be about to dramatically cut its staff which will take a couple thousand of well paid workers out of the rental market.

How can the property market be sustainable in this context? Housing costs, both buying and renting, cannot be sustained without well paid workers coming into the country. It is only a matter of time at this point that a dramatic turn will reflect in the data. It's staggering how the state is throwing so much cash at the property market demand side and doing nothing to stimulate supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Estonia and Czech have taken over 4 times as many Ukranian refugees per capita as Ireland so we're nowhere near those leading the efforts to help the Ukranian people. However, we've taken over 6 times as many Ukranian refugees per capita as France.

imho the government should be asking for help from France, Spain, Greece and Italy, to contribute more to the effort. It seems crazy they're not when we seem to be running out of capacity. Maybe they're afraid they'll get called out on corporate tax rate.

Increasing homelessness for both Irish residents and refugees does not seem a great plan.

Post edited by mcsean2163 on

I don’t think it’s because of corporation tax… they might be afraid that those countries tell us to take some of the full boats that hit their shores everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Back to the foreigners again?

They are being “housed” in hotels, temporary accommodation, holiday homes, even peoples homes, none of which are practical long term for workers. None of which affect the price of housing. The State is not building houses for ASs.

More off topic posts.

Post edited by Dav010 on

I am pointing out that there are more victims of the housing crisis; with the crisis being the lack of housing and the cost of housing. And I was actually stating that we need more well paid and educated immigration to sustain our economy - I have a slightly right of centre economic outlook and what is happening in Ireland is a hard right, grotesque economic decline.

In order to get out of this mess, rents and house prices must crash and supply of all types of homes must climb significantly. Otherwise, we will end up with more and more victims of the crisis. NIMBYs, FF/FG voters etc. all contribute to this situation where people fleeing war torn countries are ending up in precarious housing conditions purely because of their greed and selfishness.

An IT article today linking the big tech slowdown to the Irish property market and broader economy. It doesn't say much except that there is uncertainty which is a very poor commentary.

There are now Celtic Tiger ghost estate equivalents already present, reflecting the excess of the 10s and they come in the form of glossy new office buildings that are largely going to remain empty for the foreseeable future unless FG and FF can funnel some of their quangos into the offices on the taxpayer tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Food for thought for anyone who believes rents charged are solely due to supply and demand - cartel-like rent gouging is a real and observable phenomenon. Wouldn't be surprised if it were happening here via REIT landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Dublin commercial property had been heading towards a glut ever since the Brexit Bonanza of relocations failed to materialise. A 16-month lockdown was the final nail as it kept people away for so long they gave up and moved on with their lives.

Large corporations using statistical data to determine how to get maximum yields from their investments is kind of a given. That's what any large professional organization does and that's the type of landlords we want for Ireland apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,423 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Banks will stress test an extra 2% and we know that people are getting older and older to buy a home, so stringing it out to 30 years is not possible for many people.

Rates are going up, here and the world over. We will probably see rates at 5% at some stage next year or 2024. What will happen to those who want to take out 4 times their income to get a house?

Yes, you guessed it, if the banks allow it themselves, it means they will be paying 40% if perhaps more of their income on a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

According to this article Irish mortgage rates could hit 5% by next summer, if so what percent will banks stress test for fresh borrowers?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dragonkin

This is exactly correct, inflation is not something that can be ignored.

There will literally be riots in the streets if people are unable to afford basic necessities, not to mention the fact that all discretionary spending will be curtailed collapsing the economy at large. Inflation trumps all, in addition the ECB's core mandate is to control inflation, everything else is secondary. They've been ignoring it as large interest rates will cause massive issues for all the heavily indebted European countries, but in the end inflation trumps everything.

• Advertisement

Institutionals just land hoard in order to speculate.

SF are going to be fun to watch when the institutionals realise that in order to get their policy points considered, they will have to get into bed with SF, but institutionals do not have the lobbying infrastructure and relationships with SF like they have with FF and FG so I think they will go running for the hills. Good riddance when they do!

I doubt SF will take long getting up to speed with lobbyists one thing all politicians have in common is a love of money and SF are no strangers to polical donations.

I'd say the biggest fear for the institutionals if SF get in will be that we will have any money left over to pay rent when SF tax us all to the hilt to pay for a quarter of their campaign proposals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Won't stop unless we have a Cab style response to corruption, cronyism where state finances are directly affected

One can protect themselves against blue collar theft but completely powerless against the White collar version

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

(deleted)

Post edited by cubatahavana on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,423 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

What are people thinking about how much if any prices will increase by because of the new LTI limits for first-home buyers?

At first thought I was certain it would push up prices, but now, not so sure, as there are headwinds the other way with rate rises and the banks may not give everyone the x4 limit.

It may also only affect prices at the bottom end, like apartments, 3bed semis and the like. Larger detached family homes may be unmoved as those homes are not your usual first time buyer house. In fact it may close the gap, as in the entry level homes get more expensive, but the detached forever homes may stagnate in price and depending on the market over the next year or two, may even fall as rates go up.

I guess we will see.

Let's not forget he's Coveney's school mate. FG have criminally mismanaged the recovery and ensured we have once again slotted into the boom bust cycle rather than attempting to build a more sustainable economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Are they close friends, and is Coveney implicated in his wrongdoing? I ask because I have a school friend who is currently a guest of the State, should I be worried that people think I’m in some way involved in his criminality?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭byrne249

As someone who is going to be re-applying for mortgage approval next month. I can safely say I would not qualify for the 4x mortgage if I was going with Finance Irelands rates, and we can safely assume all banks will have similar rates in a month or so. The 5% +2% stress would take nearly 60% of my monthly take home on a 30 year loan. LOL!!!

I sincerely hope everyone else is on the same boat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭jj880

All of a sudden An Taoiseach has his knickers in a twist about getting houses "rapidly" built. Better late than never if it does happen. Nothing to do with certain news stories over the last week of course.

Advertisement