Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reflection on the pandemic: questions about the authorities' response.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

• Registered Users Posts: 12,037 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

True, but if we start calling out those we believe made mistakes during covid surely we should be also looking closely at those that contributed to the spread of covid due to their own negligence or non compliance with covid rules.

I wouldn't say there is no need for restrictions in the future, I do belive there is little political appetite for further restrictions but if we get a new variant or a large spike in numbers I'm sure we will see some reaction by government but not as severe as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,977 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The very fact that we were working from WHO and medical advise is what worries me being honest. The WHO or doctors don't know the first thing about running a country and blindly taking on all their advice is daft. Should what they were saying be considered in the broader context of what's happening in a country? I would say, they should be one part of the overall discussion.

Our government can't just abdicate responsibility because a handful of medical people tell them one thing. Lok at how laughable the modeling was for the first 12/18 months of the pandemic.

Who's to say that the next set of restrictions won't come from a group of climate experts in the UN reckon the end is nigh unless we lockdown for an extended period of time? It sounds completely batshot crazy to even suggest it but if we blindly follow "the experts" then it's not as far fetched as you might think.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

Non compliance with the rules! get away with yourself, the rules were crazy, they were stupid!

lockdown, move no more than 2km from your house, while passing others who live 1.9km away who then move 3.9km in the opposite direction, spreading COVID 2km at a time, while ignoring the "essential workers" who could travel the entire country without restrictions.

Going to restaurant, mask while walking to table mask off to eat.

I could go on but you get the message.

The rules were stupid in the first place and impossible to enforce, they failed, they would have failed if complied with to the letter so they were stiupid and people need to be held to account for their planning.

The best of that lot was the €9 substantial meal that was required in order to sit down and drink a few pints. They were making this stuff up on the fly and then claiming it was based on "the science".

Negligence & non-compliance with regulations?

The lads who posted above have answered that farcical statement much better than I ever could.

The rules were pointless, unnecessary, and a joke. covid just laughed at us and ploughed on regardless, yet our lives were forced to come to a grinding halt because some lad decided to play king.

These rules that we didn't follow didn't work. Kinda self fulling prophecy in fairness.

Hard to argue they would never work because they did were they were rigidly enforced.

You can argue with some validity they would never have been as successful in Ireland due to our inability to follow rules, or the govt to enforce anything. But the govt can counter argue they worked well enough based on the metrics of that period.

Anecdotally almost everyone I know who got COVID knew exactly where they caught it. Even if they were asymptomatic they could point to a person or an event where they were mostly likely to have got it. Quite predicable like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭PommieBast

@[Deleted User]

The rules were stupid in the first place and impossible to enforce, they failed, they would have failed if complied with to the letter so they were stiupid and people need to be held to account for their planning.

The bigger problem was the government acting like their usual weasels, with 2020 being one long string of "review in X weeks" even though infections were down to single figures. This was p!ssing away critical public goodwill when things were relatively good. The "six weeks to save xmas" was just asking for trouble.

• Advertisement

That's only a half story. They lifted rules at times during 2020 and when they did the numbers rose dramatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭lizzyjane

Crazy when you think about it.

Sad thing is that public trust in the Pharma industries will further wane.

Hmmm *checks notes* we did indeed start to lift restrictions coming into respiratory illness season after being locked down for most of the summer months. Who would have thunk that a respiratory illness would increase over the wet autumn and winter months in Ireland.

It aligned with the lifting of restrictions not the seasons. But good try.

Seasonal illnesses actually decreased during the lockdowns for various reasons. Well for those that actually followed the rules at least.

Speaking of which might be time to start a seasonal illnesses thread. That would be equally entertaining. We could have four yorkshiremen do the flu sketch. Call that a flu....

They sure did and that was completely expected behaviour. If you have everyone locked down and away from each other then numbers would increase once they were released from said lack down. What was truly baffling was why we continued to lock down during the summer months when the health service were better equiped to deal with rising numbers only to then come out of the restrictions coming into the busy winter months when our hospitals are always under pressure.

Can hardly argue lockdowns don't work, then give an example of it working.

They eased restrictions in May then put some put back, in some areas in August due to rising. No idea why this would be baffling for anyone.

Public and commercial pressure for Xmas. Simple as that. ... and selective memory.

Lockdowns work if you a) have no care for civil liberties and b) completely ignore all the negative impacts they have, such as increasing waiting list times for all other hospital care and the serious knock-on effects.

I mean, they work in the same way that burning your house down to get rid of a mouse does.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sammye333

I lived in sweden for 18 months during the scamdemic. Same science over there but different approach

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I think they may have started to realise that businesses and livelihoods could only hold out so long with zero trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

"no idea why this would be baffling for anyone?"

When all the restrictions were dropped in January this year by February the numbers had fallen off a cliff....just like they did the previous February when we were in level 5 lockdown, which we were in until April.

How anyone can still believe that health bureaucrats successfully managed the spread of an airbourne virus that probably infected most of us anyway in that time is a likely candidate to buy magic beans I'd imagine!!

• Advertisement

So you're saying the numbers rose at xmas, they had a lockdown, and the numbers fell and then they lifted lockdown.

But they weren't exactly the same because it was entirely different strains, different years, different population vaccination demographics.

... and the thing you've just explained, confuses you?

Well either they work or they don't. You'll have to make your minds up.

Well they started with a different approach then changed it to be similar to many other countries.

Did you even read my post, I never even mentioned Xmas.

We had the exact same result (more or less) between Jan/Feb 2021 and JAn/Feb 2022...despite being in severe lockdown in 2021 and no restrictions at all in 2022.

We had a huge proportion of the population vaccinated in 2022.

What this tells us is that a) Lock downs do very little/nothing and b)when it comes to transmission vaccines do very little/nothing.

In the odd-ball world situations cannot change.

Can someone decipher this for me please, I don't speak gibberish!!

You don't seem to be aware but traditionally, Xmas precedes Jan. Perhaps you like forget Xmas exists but it does.

We did have restrictions in 2022. https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/covid19/public_health_measures_for_covid19.html

We didn't have the "same" result. They were different strains.

You said "numbers fell off a cliff" which implies they rose to high point preceding it. You can hardly say nothing happened when you just described something happening. A virus doesn't know it's January.

Seems like you don't understand what you wrote.

Your comments thus far would suggest you do.

Perfect for a tribunal.

We seem to have a lockdown merchant in our midst 🙄

Anyway, back on topic... When are we having a public hauling over the coals for King Tony & his knights in tarnished armour?

• Advertisement

Testing centres sprung up everywhere and everyone was encouraged to get tested, many with very mild or no symptoms were counted as "cases" whereas just before there was very limited testing and hundreds dying in the nursing homes as hospitals unloaded the elderly there, sick or not. This is one(another) of the real scandals to come out of the mishandling of the virus.

Advertisement